What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

Martin de Candre, the almost mythical French soap that has to be bought directly from the factory or in boutique French shops (and the odd stockist here and there). Legend has it that 3 swirls on the soap with a brush will give you enough lather for 5 passes. Do you have a jar? A brain bowl (brains!)? A butter dish? Is it scented? Unscented? Fougère? A regular jar has 200+ grams inside....that's more than a quarter pound of soap! Do you stare at it in the medicine cabinet surrounded by all of the other soaps and creams in your arsenal and think to yourself, "I'm never going to finish that jar"? Do you have it in you to try?

Starting on February 1, a stalwart band of 3017ers are taking up the challenge of using a package of Martin de Candre shave soap from start to finish. I bet you're saying to yourself, "There's no way I can stick to using just one soap for months at a time." Funny, we all never had that problem when we pulled the can of goo out of the medicine cabinet every morning before we re-discovered the right way to shave. Besides, an occasional dalliance with another soap or cream while 3017ing never hurt anyone. We are men, not monsters! Come join in! You know you want to find out what the bottom of the empty jar looks like.

If you're in, chime in here.

Last edited:
You guys are in for a good time. I had and finished a brain bowl. I won't be joining but I will be following the groups progress.

I just got two jars, one each of regular and fougere. This is very tempting, but I have to consider it for a few days before committing.

I have 2 jars on the way, and they should be here by the end of the week.
Honestly, I don't know if I have it in me to 3017 a whole jar. I have been DE shaving almost one year and all I have used is Proraso cream and I was 3017 'ing them before I knew there was a term for it.
I'm ready to move on and use some of loved soaps and creams that I have read about here. I'm trying to finish the last of my Proraso Red before going to Castle Forbes Lime, MWF, Cella, Arko, Catie's Bubbles, D.R. Harris and maybe another half dozen that I have hoarded. I still have a tube of each Proraso cream left as well.
I now have enough for about 4 years, and I know I will probably buy a few more.
But Hey, at least I'm saving money!

I'm very interested to see how this progresses. I'm curious how long a jar will last everyone. Lots of variance, I'm sure, based on individual load times. I know a 5-10 second load is all I need with MdC, but I know some folks who load it for 30-60 seconds. I have no doubt, that using minimal loading times, this soap could last up to a year. I'm curious if anyone here will make their jar last until 2016!

Considering that both you and johnniegold have done it already....that makes you Jedis. :ouch1:

I have gone on the record before and certainly stand by my words... MdC is a good soap, but there are plenty of others (at different price points) which I much prefer. Quite apart from the variety of scent, my 2013 Year of DR Harris provided better shaving at considerably less cost.

This is a worthy challenge- good luck guys and please don't forget to report your findings/experiences here. It is always interesting to read thoughts on kit such as MdC.

I'd like to be in on this (provided my traded-for fougere gets here in time!) with one caveat - I'll be in Scotland and England for the month of November and don't want to bring any glass jars with me. Is it OK to break for a month? I won't be stopping shaving, I'll just be using a creme instead of MdC.

Cheers

M.

Not to put a damper on the fun and games, but aren't we all (and I include me in we) getting a bit carried away? It's just soap! A very nice soap indeed, but still. Keep in mind I just receive a jar myself, which I wouldn't have ordered without all of the collective panting. Love the scent, love the lather, even love the pretty jar ... but I can't say that it shaves any better than MWF or any of the other high-end products.

As for how long with it last: It has to be more than a year. A puck of MWF lasts about that long, and the MdC lathers instantly.

Enjoy, all you crazed ones!

I don't think I can do this but I'd love to see how long a jar lasts.... I have a handful of shaves on mine and it doesn't look used...

The jar will last more than a year.

You may well be right, Jim.

I'm very interested to see how this progresses. I'm curious how long a jar will last everyone. Lots of variance, I'm sure, based on individual load times. I know a 5-10 second load is all I need with MdC, but I know some folks who load it for 30-60 seconds. I have no doubt, that using minimal loading times, this soap could last up to a year. I'm curious if anyone here will make their jar last until 2016!

I bet there will be. Who knows, it might be me!

I'd like to be in on this (provided my traded-for fougere gets here in time!) with one caveat - I'll be in Scotland and England for the month of November and don't want to bring any glass jars with me. Is it OK to break for a month? I won't be stopping shaving, I'll just be using a creme instead of MdC.

Cheers

M.

Definitely. You won't see me carrying that jar on a plane anytime soon.

Not to put a damper on the fun and games, but aren't we all (and I include me in we) getting a bit carried away? It's just soap! A very nice soap indeed, but still. Keep in mind I just receive a jar myself, which I wouldn't have ordered without all of the collective panting. Love the scent, love the lather, even love the pretty jar ... but I can't say that it shaves any better than MWF or any of the other high-end products.

As for how long with it last: It has to be more than a year. A puck of MWF lasts about that long, and the MdC lathers instantly.

Enjoy, all you crazed ones!

Nah, we're not getting carried away. Most would argue that I got carried away acquiring stuff when they see the list of stuff in my stockpile (the strategic petroleum reserve has nothing on me).

Man, I am getting stressed out just imagining others doing this. Good luck!

Deep breaths, Rob. :biggrin:

MdC is relatively soft. It's easy to take a spoon and scrape some out of your jar. I've done this several times, making samples out of my jar to send out to folks for PIFs. Why not just put some into a smaller plastic container to use on travel? Anything that is left when you return can be transferred back to the glass jar, if you wish, or just used up in the plastic. Either way, travel is no reason to give pause to a journey such as this!

I'd love to try MdC at some point -- but I am loaded to the gunwales with soaps, and by that I mean quite a modest collection compared to what many folks have here.

I want to see out the two tubs of TOBS and two tubes of Dettol that I got last summer -- all of which still have plenty left -- and work down a couple of sticks. Beyond that, I have some untouched sticks, a new tub of Proraso, and a Haslinger puck.

Four months of daily shaves. Six to eight months for the light loaders. I'll be really interested to see if someone can get 365 shaves out of a 200 g jar. Plenty of lather shots, please!

Top Bottom