What's new

Not feeling the Stonehaven

Cut open the bag and put the Stonehaven into Mason jars. Left some out to dry a bit and loaded my Aldo Velani Calabash to sit back and enjoy. Okay, maybe it's just me, and one other person that made a similar post, but I don't get the Stonehaven luvfest. The bag note is to die for. Plums, raisins and the flakes are as dense, dark and heavy as asphalt roofing shingles. This is a good thing. The leatheryness is incomparable to anything else I've seen. I was expecting to be blown away, but I wasnt. Maybe it's just my taste buds, or the fact I had a DE Undercrown a couple hours ago. It honestly seems one dimensional to me. Don't get me wrong, the stuff looks uber quality and I'm sure it is. It's the flatness of the flavor that has me puzzled. I was expecting a lot because I love Esoterica's Penzance and ASTB. Maybe it was the expectation that has me thinking less of this than is truly there. The lack of Orientals might be throwing me off too. Im still smoking the rest of the bowl right now and it's turning into a beautiful gray/white ash. Only one legit relight. The other I let go out. It should be awesome!

So, please let me know what I am missing, and what I should be looking for.

Try a different pipe or pipes, flake it, cube it, twist it, and I'll tell anyone to smoke Stonehaven so slow that you barely keep it lit. For me that was when it opened up the most.

you did the right thing putting it in a mason jar. Many will tell you that a year of cellared Stonehaven turns it from great to perfect.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm not sure what your flavor preferences are, but it could be that this just doesn't do anything for you. Give it a couple more tries, but don't worry if it's not your cup of tea.

IMO Stonehaven is not the Be all End all, but it is unique.

I just recently got a bag of Stonehaven. I had a bowl straight out of the bag and then immediately jarred up everything else.

It was very mild, but I could tell that it would blossom if I just let it age for a long time. Not my favorite blend, but I can see where there's potential.

Although I horde the stuff anytime I can get my hands on the stuff and I have several bags stowed away........I suffer from the same affliction. I don't get the luv fest.
Don't get me wrong, it's good but I don't hear angels sing when I smoke it.

I'm actually relieved that some of my BOTL are not totally over the moon with it either. I know my pallet is not developed enough to truly appreciate it. I'm going to age some and also will PIF some on my 1000th post. I believe that is the custom of the BL.

Try after 3 / 6 / 12 months. Very good / better/ almost there! A few years down the road and you'd forego a great steak dinner for it!
Same for Penzance.

It's not for everybody. I don't think I could name a blend that everyone agrees on.
Try after 3 / 6 / 12 months. Very good / better/ almost there! A few years down the road and you'd forego a great steak dinner for it!
Same for Penzance.
That would depend on the quality of that steak....

I found Stonehaven to be way better than Penzance (for my own flavor preferences) but I've hear people call it one of the most overrated tobaccos. I think it's unique but isn't blow your mind amazing. It could just be that pipe though. I would try smoking it in a variety of bowl sizes. I didn't care for it too much until I smoked it in a peterson bulldog that I have. Was the first time it tasted that well out of all my pipes.

I will destroy it fro you if need be ;)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Try a different pipe or pipes, flake it, cube it, twist it, and I'll tell anyone to smoke Stonehaven so slow that you barely keep it lit. For me that was when it opened up the most.

you did the right thing putting it in a mason jar. Many will tell you that a year of cellared Stonehaven turns it from great to perfect.

Completely agree with this. Stonehaven didn't click for me until I cube cut it. But that's just me and my cadence and my pipes. Your magic combo might be entirely different, so do experiment.

I find I like it best all rubbed out. I find that spreading it out and letting dry for 20 minutes or so before packing the bowl helps keep it lit.
I do this for most of the steam pressed flakes I have.

I find I like it best all rubbed out. I find that spreading it out and letting dry for 20 minutes or so before packing the bowl helps keep it lit.
I do this for most of the steam pressed flakes I have.

I have similar experiences. I like to rub it out loosely, then let it sit out for a half-hour or so before filling the bowl; and, as DC_MPA already noted, the flavor really opens up if you can smoke it veeeery slowly. I will also note that, from my own first-hand experimentation, this is one tobacco that really benefits tremendously from an extended nap. Three-year-old Stonehaven and three-month-old Stonehaven don't even taste like the same tobacco.

It's the one smoke that I'll use a tank of butane or a box of matches for a single bowl but WOW is it worth it!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
By powers of the Castle GraySkull I resurrect this zombie post!!!

Well cracked open the ol mason jar to take another crack at a flake of Stonehaven. I am hoping my skills have improved since my last try 6 months ago.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Rubbed out a Flake and dried for about an hour. Had the best bowl yet, but I still rushed it I think as the dottle was still a little wet and towards the bottom of the bowl it started to make sizzling sounds. I'll wait another 6 months and try again.

Rubbed out a Flake and dried for about an hour. Had the best bowl yet, but I still rushed it I think as the dottle was still a little wet and towards the bottom of the bowl it started to make sizzling sounds. I'll wait another 6 months and try again.
I've read others having better smokes with Stonehaven by cube cutting it, instead of rubbing or fold and stuff.. could also give that a go. :)

Top Bottom