What's new

How'd I Do?

$20150119_221958.jpg$20150119_222151.jpg$20150119_222131.jpg

Got my first straight razor for my 21st birthday [emoji106] from a close friend (girl) that knew I was interested in starting to shave with a straight. I don't know a lot about the razor, but it seems to be in good condition other than a slight smile, slight hone wear on the spine, and some minor tarnish left on the blade after I cleaned it. Anybody know anything about these razors, or the company they come from? It needs to be sharpened, but I figure this is too nice a razor to learn to sharpen on. Planning on getting a spare razor to shave with along with some other gear from a member here (strop, etc.), and getting this razor sharpened. Thoughts?

Last edited:
That is an American made Torrey, but you already know that from the tang. I do not own one, but from everything I have heard and read they are very good. Once you get it honed up, it should serve you very well. You might want to consider getting a fairly cheap Gold Dollar from buca3152. It will be shave ready when you get it, it will perform well, it will serve as a backup razor if your Torrey needs sent out for honing, and it will serve as your honing practice razor when the time comes.

From what I can tell from the pictures, the blade appears to be in good shape. As you pointed out, perhaps a bit of a smile, but there is not too much hone wear. That amount of smile should not be too problematic for any of the honemeisters here. This razor could likely be your daily driver for the rest of your life. I have no specific knowledge as to when your particular razor was made, but the company information is below.

TORREY RAZOR CO
Worcester, Massachusetts
ca 1858 - 1963

Thanks gentlemen! I am planning on getting one of the GDs from buca along with the strop set he offers, and might get him to hone up the torrey as well. I plan on getting into honing soon, but want to take the time to learn to straight shave first, so it'll be a few months or so I expect.

torreys are excellent American blades as well as shavers, the gold dollar wont see much use once the torrey is honed properly. I have two torreys a 136 and 137 and have owned many all were good, I actually traded most of them on my favorite brand ,a Sheffield I wont mention name here they are already priced over the top.

Top Bottom