What's new

Fatboy February

I'm in for Fatboy February. Got mine here on the BST (replated) and love it! Generally it's set on 6 or 7. It's a '59, code E-1.

Here's the only pic I have available:

Coming from a BBX, R41 2011, and Shavettes, it should be interesting to try out the Fat Boy again. I will probably have to cheat on the weekends as well. I need my SE Sunday, and I'll dub Saturday my Shavette Night. I'm game, I got three that need some loving. Pics to follow.

I saw your list at the beginning of thread and I usually
go with 7-7-5/6 for a three pass, like I said been using straigts for the past few months and used the FB today and forgot what a wonderful shaver she is.

Count me IN!

Here is my 1960 F4 Fatboy that I will be using on setting 6. Captain Murphy restored life back into him. Had a bent door rod, seized adjuster, uneven blade gap, dent on barrel.... Recently found out it belonged to a Greek Sailor!...Still figuring out a name for him.

View attachment 542337

I'm on board! Using a 1961 G3. (Birth year and quarter. I got sucked into the madness). Original condition as I received it. (Looks very clean and shiny). No Captain Murphy treatment. Still using settings 4 or 5. (Blade to be decided). :001_cool:

$fatfeb1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in with my E4 set @ 7. No Capt Murphy, just cleaned up hand me down. I call it Ben Hur Khrushchev (1959 the Twilight Zone premiered, made perfect sense to me : mash-up things from that year...) It was my father-in-law's daily driver back in the day... now I'll be giving it a loooong drive!

$image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm in for FBF15. My Fatboy is a Captain Murphy prepped F2. I have been shaving with it everyday for the past month so I'll just keep on keepin' on. I have it set on 5.
$image.jpg

I'm in. I use a G1 Fatboy as my daily with Feather blades. I will use LASS or one of my Stirling soaps that are inbound. Below I have a pic I took tonight and one of my razor with the FrankenFatty. Mine has not been worked over by Captain, but it's slated for a replate by Chris this spring if I can live without it for a few weeks.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 175
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 178
I'm thinking that I just might have to take part in this. I'm using my 1918 Gillette Single Ring Old Type just now (first time ever using one), but as soon as that blade expires, I'll get out one of my Fatboys and determine a blade for it. Maybe I'll revisit Polsilver Super Iridium blades. My fiancée loves them and bought 100. My first two times using them ended badly, as both blades had burrs that tore my face up. :-(

Glad to have so much participation. Sorry I haven't updated the list yet. We've had some familystuff pop up. I'll have everything updated and ready before 2/1.

Here'Here's a bad, cell phone pic of the D-3 I'll be using, but I'll add another with the other two FB's that also want to play.
$20131219_211354.jpg

I took the FB for a spin today with a fresh Feather on 9. It shaved better than I remembered, with a BBS and DFS in some spots. My techniques has gotten better since moving on to more aggressive razors. This photo was taken in 12/2013, when the Fat Boy was my only DE for 3 years, just before RAD hit me.

I'm in!

I got bit by the RAD bug early, so I never shaved with one razor for an entire month!
I will probably only use one of my Fatboy's my F3 serviced by Captain Murphy. When I got that one the doors were bent. and the Capt. fixed her up.
I just shaved with mine on setting 7, and that was a tad too aggressive. I'll probably settle on 6 or 5.
This will give me a chance to try out new blades. I usually only use Astra's and Feathers now I can try out the others I have. It's hard to tell the difference between blades when you use a different razor every day.

$fat boy feb.jpg
The fatboys are F3 F4 E1 and E4

Heres my D-4 Fat Boy I just found yesterday in the wild. It was truly a filthy mess and looked like it hadnt been used for a decade, but I could still tell it was in decent shape and to my surprise it did clean up really good. A little cleaning, hand polishing, and adjusting the blade gap and I got this one back into great shape again. I used it last night with a fresh gillette platinum and got a darn fine shave. Im going to use this one for Fat Boy Feburary, though I will admit Im really going to miss the shaves from my Progress.

$CIMG5631.jpg

Wanted to thank Cap and edgar for a bit of info regarding a question I had about my new Fat Boy. Cap explained to me that the earlier D and E models came with nickel plated collets to them and that sometime in 1959 it had changed. It was nice to learn about this and I think I now prefer these earlier models.

Last edited:
I only very recently am able to join this thread:
I just acquired a G-2 Fatboy that was hurtin in a big way.

$Fatboy2.jpg

Apparently, it had been dropped more than once:
The base plate and one guide bar were bent,it also had a bent hinge bar and pivot arm.
The blade gaps were different on each side of the razor.

I sent it to B&B member Matt Mizzetl, from whom I had previously purchased a rebuilt Slim

Here is the razor after he took it apart.
$Rossi Fat Boy-10.jpg

Everything is fixed now, and here is what my Fatboy looks like today:

$Rossi Fat Boy After-5.jpg

I usually start at 6 and finish at 8. I had the blade gaps set a little stronger than stock, so we will see what number works best for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom