What's new

Third shave on a Gem Blue Star SE was absolutely disasterous

Hopefully you guys usually get more than two shaves on a blade?

A little digression/back story:

I picked up a Gem Junior at a garage sale a year ago, and after finding blades gave it a go. I was just starting out with DE shaving, and had a miserable time with the SE. I never looked back, but then I got an injector, found B&B and became hooked. I saw that SE Sundays was a thing, so I gave the Junior another shot. The first shave was great! I found the angle right away, got a DFS with no irritation afterwards. The second was real good too, about equal.

The third was very tuggy, painful, and not even close. I probably could have given another pass to get it closer, but I was in pain and just wanted to get it over with.

Maybe it's something else I did? If it's the blade, I'm done with the Junior.

Carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and thoroughly dried between shaves. Otherwise rust sets in very quickly and ruins the edge.

Carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and thoroughly dried between shaves. Otherwise rust sets in very quickly and ruins the edge.
+1 In addition I always remove all blades after each shave, clean and dry, a good practice to follow for all blade types.
Of course always keep open blades stored in a location safe from others...better halfs, moms, dada, kids, dogs, cats, birds....you get the idea :w00t:

Last edited:
Try the Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades. They can be a little harsh the first couple of shaves, but then I am good for about a dozen great shaves. Unlike the carbon steel blades, it is not necessary to remove and dry them after each shave (although it certainly doesn't hurt).

I get around that initial harshness by "breaking in" new blades by using a mild razor such as a Gem Featherweight for those first two shades.

--Bob

You can buy them in quantity from tedpella.com. If you want to try a few first, you can get a smaller quantity from razorbladesandmore.com.

There are other sources (Amazon, eBay, etc.), but I have personally ordered from both of these and can recommend them.

You can also order them from Walgreen's website. Some Walgreen's stores are reputed to stock them, but I have never found any in my part of the country.

--Bob

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've bought my Gem PTFE from Connaught Shaving. Even though they are in the UK, their prices are great and shipping is fast.

Both carbon and ss ptfe blades are going downhill fast by the end of the third shave, so i get rid after shave number two.

I am not a big fan of the Blue Star blades.

I dry them after each use, and cork them.

I ordered the coated PFTE blades from Connought Shaving in the UK. Even with exchange and shipping they were a great deal.

You got 2 more shaves than I did out of the carbon blades. My second attempt with the same setup was terrible. I do however the Gem with the right steel is a smooth and eficient tool.

Turns out my local ShopRite carries GEM by Personna Stainless blades. Still, if I can only get 3 shaves on a blade, it's probably not the razor for me.

I swab a bit of Baby oil/mineral oil on the carbon blades with a Qtip before I use them and give the blade a quick shake to remove the water before I put it back in the razor. I get more shaves out of them and it seems to keep the corrosion away. Some will swish the blade around in alcohol so the water evaporates. Water is the enemy when it comes to using these Carbon Steel blades. I find them a bit sharper than the PTFE blades and don't mind a little more prep.

I get about 6 quality shaves out of both the Blue Carbon steel and the PTFE. Yeah, you gotta dry the Blue ones, but I too find them just touch sharper. To me, the second shave with a Blue in my 1912 Ever Ready.... awesome:)

Just found out that Rite-Aid has started selling Stainless Treet .009 RD SE blades, re-packaged with their store brand, 10 blades $4.99

Top Bottom