What's new

Chippewa Chocolate Apache boots (USA Made) - treated and polished ($150)

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how my boots age over the next year through their first seasons.
I swear I want to buy thy same boots and send them to retro so he can make mine look like that.
Thanks for the compliment. It's easy to do. You should try it. The pride in the finished product is worth the effort.

Shoes: $130 (from Amazon)
Obenauf's LP: $20 (8oz from Amazon. 4oz is $12, I think. Sno-Seal is good stuff too, for about 1/4 the price)
Meltonian cream polish: $5 (from Amazon)
Dish washing gloves: $1-2
Horse hair brush: <$10

If you apply Obenauf's to new boots you don't need to clean them, which makes it the best time to apply. Just apply with bare hands- your warmth will melt the Obenauf's into the leather. Work it into the all the tight edges, and especially the seams. I applied 2 coats. The boots looked pretty good after that, but I wanted a polished shine.

Having read that it's difficult to apply polish atop Obenauf's, I wore the boots for about a week before applying polish. I probably could have also let them sit to dry. Anyway, using the horsehair brush, I brushed away the surface dirt. I then removed the laces, and applied a layer of polish (not to thick, but not paper thin). Wait at least 10 minutes for the polish to dry (very important step). Buff vigorously, with light strokes using a horsehair brush. Repeat polish application and removal to desired shine. Two applications put a smile on my face. There's more to it if you're going for a mirror shine, but I think these boots look better with a basic shine.

The result is very rewarding. Anyone who takes on this project, please don't hesitate to share some photos.

Great Job, you are making me want to get a pair. I went with danner mostly because they are gortex and I had the same style when I was in the Corps. I love them and they feel great even when I walk a few miles. I figured my old boots went 25 miles or more in a day on some big hikes up the mountains and my feet never hurt. These should do me just fine.

Man yours look nice though! How do they hold up to light scuffs when you rub them on your desk or anything else

Great Job, you are making me want to get a pair. I went with danner mostly because they are gortex and I had the same style when I was in the Corps. I love them and they feel great even when I walk a few miles. I figured my old boots went 25 miles or more in a day on some big hikes up the mountains and my feet never hurt. These should do me just fine.

Man yours look nice though! How do they hold up to light scuffs when you rub them on your desk or anything else

Thanks Matt! To answer your question, I've attached a couple of photos from a day of wear. I guess I don't scuff them much, but the heels seem drawn to my chair's wheels. Also, a full shot after their first week as polished daily wear boots. If nothing else, I think they're definitely worth $130 to try them. They're certainly comfortable, which is the first thing to think of when you're wearing boots all day, every day.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1422337201046.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422337201046.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 185
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1422337215652.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422337215652.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 185
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1422337242866.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422337242866.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 184
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1422337254504.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422337254504.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 186
I think I am going to get these in steel toe for my replacements at work. I get 130 to use toward whatever I want to buy every year. Yours look great!

Are those the steel toe version? Is there a difference in the feeling and comfort between therm?

They're plain toe. The steel toe were available for about the same price, but I didn't need steel. If I recall correctly, the lug sole steel toe were upwards of $170. The steel toes seem to have a more pronounced top to my eye. Also, in my case, the 12s are already snug. I think steel toe would have ended up hurting in my case. I just made the switch from size 13 though, and I think I need to go wider next time.

Looking sharp! I really like boots with green canvas.

I just wanted to chime in that I received a package from the very generous Neognosis today with a pair of black rough-out boots. The fit nicely, and the rough-out looks great as well.

I prefer to wear boots at work, so I can see these making it into the rotation. I don't have a cell phone that takes pictures at the moment, or I'd post few.

Thanks so much for the generosity Neognosis! People like you are what makes this site the best on the internet. Once my move is complete and I'm done living in peoples basements, I hope I can offer something back to the community as well.

I will look into these since I love a good boot. I wearing a pair of ARIAT Boots that I have had for 4 years I just upgraded the insoles this past Aug and all I done to my is coat them with US Army Impregnation Wax. I clean them once a week with a Brush and buff with some water and a t shirt rag.

Those look really nice! I've been wondering if I could do something like that to a pair of boots. I have a pair of the boots with the lug sole and while they fit great and I can walk all day in them, they are too rugged to for casual wear.

Those look really nice! I've been wondering if I could do something like that to a pair of boots. I have a pair of the boots with the lug sole and while they fit great and I can walk all day in them, they are too rugged to for casual wear.

They are fine for casual wear and they support and protect your feet.

I have the boots in the OP. Been wearing them regularly (casual wear, not hard use) for about a year and really like them. I bought the Obenauf's LP when I got them, but I still haven't put it on them, yet. I liked the original appearance and didn't want to change it. What the OP did looks really nice, though, so I may go ahead with it.

This is interesting, and they look great. My LP looks much more loose than the OP's...it is less a solid and more a vasaline consistency.

Top Bottom