What's new

Wicked edge sharpener for straights?

I have a wicked edge sharpener for my kitchen and work knives. Can I just buy new stones for my wicked edge and use it on straights or should I get a Norton whet stone?

Wicked edge has a you tube video that says it can be done I am just wondering if anyone here actually uses one?

I think the problem you will run into is the narrow hones on the "Wicked Edge" and similar systems that use guide rods don't contact the entire blade at once. I think it would be difficult to maintain a constant bevel for the entire length of the blade. Straight razors were designed to be honed laying flat on the hone with the whole edge contacting the stone. I'm not saying it can't be done, just seems a little problematic to me. I have both the DMT and the Lansky version of the guided rod sharpening stones. My opinion is, you would be better off with conventional hones.

I think the problem you will run into is the narrow hones on the "Wicked Edge" and similar systems that use guide rods don't contact the entire blade at once. I think it would be difficult to maintain a constant bevel for the entire length of the blade. Straight razors were designed to be honed laying flat on the hone with the whole edge contacting the stone. I'm not saying it can't be done, just seems a little problematic to me. I have both the DMT and the Lansky version of the guided rod sharpening stones. My opinion is, you would be better off with conventional hones.

Thanks;

since, I already had the system I thought I would ask. I don't have 6k or 8k+ stones so I will just spend the money on Norton or something else when I get my first straight.

if you are going to hone straights a Norton whetstone aint gonna cut it. you need a 1k bevel setter, a 4k, and 8k and then a finisher. a minimum of 4 stones. the wicked edge is a knife sharperner and no where near what you want for a razor. if you cant freehand sharpen a knife you are in for a real learning experience as to keeping the bevel aligned with the spine. you might get a smile and be lucky but when it frowns you have a lot of ground to cover.have a look on the bay at some of the so called minty ones with a nice pronounced frown and a worn spine in the middle.

I have a WE, and there are two things that will prevent you from using it to hone a razor. First, the clamping system would be difficult to get to work on a razor because of the radius spine on a razor. The clamp wants to clamp something flat. Second, getting the razor to sit high enough to be able to get 7.5 to 8 degrees per side would be difficult. WE sells an extension clamp where they claim you can get down to 10 degrees per side, but this represents a bare minimum area for a razor. I think most makers try to target the 7.5 to 8 degrees per side, or 15 to 16 degrees inclusive area.

The neat thing about honing a straight razor is that there is a built in angle guide, the spine. You just one it flat on the stone with the spine and the edge touching. It is not at all like freehand honing a knife where you create the bevel angle by the way you hold the blade.

Last edited:
I have a WE, and there are two things that will prevent you from using it to hone a razor. First, the clamping system would be difficult to get to work on a razor because of the radius spine on a razor. The clamp wants to clamp something flat. Second, getting the razor to sit high enough to be able to get 7.5 to 8 degrees per side would be difficult. WE sells an extension clamp where they claim you can get down to 10 degrees per side, but this represents a bare minimum area for a razor. I think most makers try to target the 7.5 to 8 degrees per side, or 15 to 16 degrees inclusive area.

The neat thing about honing a straight razor is that there is a built in angle guide, the spine. You just one it flat on the stone with the spine and the edge touching. It is not at all like freehand honing a knife where you create the bevel angle by the way you hold the blade.

Thanks;

The WE does great on my shun knives. I set the angle and I don't have to think too much. looks like a set of stones are in my future.

Top Bottom