What's new

Esterbrook jewel repair/replacement?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've passed on some Esterbrooks with damaged or missing "jewels" and bought one off the bay where the damaged jewel was not that obvious. Is there a source for replacement jewels or has anyone done a repair on a chipped jewel? I thought about building up the chipped jewel with something like JB weld and filing it down to the proper contour and painting it with modeling paint, but decided the results may look worse than the minor chip. What have you done?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well, it ain't easy. You'll need a donor pen to cannibalize as there are no new jewels. Getting the broken one out without snapping the thin stem off inside is also a challenge. So I usually just leave them.

The are some custom copper jewels being made recently and I've seen some creative DIY jobs.

You may want to read up here, Brian Anderson's website --> http://www.esterbrook.net/repair.shtml

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the info!

Followed the link to Anderson Pens, ordered a NOS flex nib, pen sacs, shellac, talc, etc. Down the Esterbrook rabbit hole I go!

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not to burst your bubble but Estie flex nibs aren't really very flexible. :001_rolle From my experience they are coveted and quite easy to resell.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not to burst your bubble but Estie flex nibs aren't really very flexible. :001_rolle From my experience they are coveted and quite easy to resell.

Yeah, I knew that going in. The problem is I'm "that guy" who wants to try everything before I accept reality and pay for a flexy custom nib at custom prices. Plus I wanted to try it in an Estie.

Top Bottom