What's new

Help deciding on Above the Tie

Hey fine fellows. Now that my shaves are really coming together, and I'm starting to have runs of excellent shaves many days in a row (very satisfying), I'm thinking of treating myself to a purchase from Above the Tie. It's hard to miss all the accolades for ATT here and I'd be glad to own something so well made and durable. The question, though, is which way to go.

My context: I have pretty coarse whiskers that grow pretty fast. My best shaves so far have been with my NEW SC and my Red Tip Super Speed (the normal SS just felt too mild). I've had mixed shaves with the R41 so far; it feels rough. The NEW SC seems to just gobble up my beard and the Red Tip cruises along satisfyingly barely ever biting.

I'm considering doing just an Atlas handle S2, based on what I've read of how it shaves -- smooth but efficient. I do have a Merkur 37c, but honestly I didn't find it all that efficient, and I've seen others having the same experience. But I haven't given up on the slant idea yet.

The other option would be to go all the way and get a 7-piece set -- likely M2, R1, and S2. My hesitation though is that I don't want extra razors just for the sake of having them; I'd want something that really will be a good match to my beard. I already have a decent collection of razors. Still, it's tempting, isn't it?

Those familiar, what do you think of these heads, given my beard and what has worked for me? And what would be the application of having the set rather than just one which works very well?

ATT is a good-looking, well-made brand, and it's hard to find many people who haven't really enjoyed using them.

If your R41 feels too rough, it could be any number of issues - including insufficient hydration, or too much pressure. But you don't want a razor that's not aggressive enough. If you were to choose one razor, try the R2 plate - medium aggression, but with enough bite to mow through old growth. Or you could get a three-piece set, and choose the plates you're interested in. ATT allows you to exchange a plate that doesn't work for you.

If you buy the seven piece set, you'll probably end up using only two of the plates, which is a waste of your time and money. But judging from your beard and preferences, the R2 plate is versatile and effective.

You might even try contacting ATT, and ask them what they recommend. They make these recommendations every day, and a conversation could give you the info you need.

Try reading this, too:
http://www.abovethetie.com/?faq

Last edited:
I'll chime in. I have the atlas m1. I'm a daily shaver that doesn't have the thickest growth but what I have is pretty coarse. Esp around the chin area. I opted for the m1 plate and I'm glad I did. It's efficient enough to use daily so no complaints. I don't have any experience with the r1 or h1 but for what I need it to do it gets it done. If I skipped days I think I'd still b fine with the plate but may need the r1. Longest I go between shave is occasionally missing a day but no longer than that. Hope this helps...

It's the greatest razor in the whole wide world of shaving. No other razor compares or should even be considered for a single moment.

Kronos or Atlas S2. Problem solved. I have one (Kronos) and it's great. You can just buy the other handle too (atlas or Kronos handle) too and use it on your NEWs and ATT. As the previous poster said you can exchange within 30 days so it's not a big deal if it doesn't work for you.

Well, maybe a Gillette NEW Long Comb. The ASD2 could have been a great razor, except that because it's sintered, it has extremely precise tolerances, perfect blade alignment, is easy rinsing of lather and whiskers, and a pesky ultra hard matte chrome finish that prevents tea stains from leaving a blade in it and of course the real deal breaker.... it's made "off-shore".

I do have a NEW long comb as well, which has been nice, but so far the NEW short comb edges just past it for me.

Okay, so at least one vote for just the ATT S2, and one for the R2. Honestly I wasn't considering the R2 as I'd seen various people commenting on it biting a lot and feeling pretty rough, whereas it seems most find the S2 to be efficient AND smooth. Hrm.

Whatever you end up choosing, rest assured the quality is out of this world :thumbup:

Maybe start with the R1 and if you don't think it's quite enough swap it for the R2 or H1

I have the M1 and it's been just fine in a week of 7 consecutive outstanding 2-pass CCS shaves.

I recently purchased a 7 piece set and love it. Stan was great to work with. Based on what you're saying, get a 7 piece: Atlas, Kronos, S2, R2, and R1 plates. If you can only pick one, S2 Kronos sounds like the ticket. I'm not an enabler [emoji16]...

I have the ATT Atlas & Titan (Kronos) handles and the M1, R1, H1 and M2, R2, H2 base plates. Like you I have course hair. I honestly prefer the Atlas handle with the M1 for daily shaving and if I skip a day I will use the the R2. The H1 gives a nice shave but requires too much concentration on my part. The open comb plates are nice I happen to prefer the straight bar. Good luck with your decision. One really nice feature is that ATT offers a 30 day no questions asked return policy. So if you got something that you didn't like you could exchange it. Good luck.

For me at least, the R2 and S2 are clear winners of the ATT lineup, particularly on the Kronos handle. But the real key is that ATT lets you return/exchange within 30 days if you don't like it… so there's really no reason not to do it!!! :lol: :thumbup:

+1 on the R2. Executive Shaving Braveheart is a step above that in aggressiveness. They go well with Polsilver and Personna Med blades.

Last edited:
At one time or another I have used every shaving plate from ATT except for the H2. (the H1 was too aggressive. no need to try the H2). As it happens so often, the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a parable for life. The M series was too mild. The H1 required too much attention. The R series was just right.

All was well with the world until Stan released his slants. There is now a cataclysmic distortion in the known universe. The S2 feels like an M series plate, but shaves like an R plate. Awesome - easy - efficient shave. The S2 is the bomb.

I'll throw out another perspective that for the most part goes against what a lot of others have experienced.

I came from using a 34C and 38C and "thought" they were giving me a great shave......... what did I know, it was all I had to use.

I did e-mail Stan and ask for a recommendation and what I got back was R, R2, H2 to round out my Atlas set, so that's what I ordered.

About a week later I was in business and jumped right in with the R2 and donated more blood to the shaving Gods than any man has a right to! Just wasn't able to get along with the R2 open comb. The rawness and irritation would prevent me from shaving for a couple days at a time. Never did even try the H2.

Sent back the R2 and unused H2 and exchanged them for an M and an H. While waiting, I gave my remaining R a try. To me the R was more aggressive than what I came from 34C mostly, however, IF I paid attention to my technique, slowed down and let the razor do the work, I was rewarded with my best shaves to date.

Once I got my replacement M and H back, I also gave the M a try. Much to my surprise I found that the M REALLY agreed with me also - 2 passes - WTG and XTG = BBS I had been all ready to simply overlook the M, thinking I need more than that. I'm really glad I gave the M a try.

Have not gotten around to even trying the H yet, but I will eventually. What I have done, since I love the length of the Atlas handle was order a couple of much heavier Maggard handles to pair up with the A.T.T. head. Doing this really opened up a whole new dimension and took my shaves to another level. My ultimate goal over time is to dial in which handle goes best with which of my 3 plates.

No doubt the A.T.T. system is great, but no matter what anyone else offers you up as an opinion, I hope you will take the time to try as many heads as you need to experience to find what really works for you. It can be a hassle to box up a head or two ship them back and wait for the replacements, but the service is offered, encouraged by Stan, and is totally worth it if your willing. The end result really is worth it!

I've used a NEW SC before, and I found it to be a smooth shave, but not quite as close as the R2 on an Ikon Bulldog handle.

I then upgraded to S2 Kronos. I feel like the S2 slant is just as close (efficient), but a bit smoother (more comfortable) on the face. I also like the longer Kronos handle.

At one time or another I have used every shaving plate from ATT except for the H2. (the H1 was too aggressive. no need to try the H2). As it happens so often, the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a parable for life. The M series was too mild. The H1 required too much attention. The R series was just right.

All was well with the world until Stan released his slants. There is now a cataclysmic distortion in the known universe. The S2 feels like an M series plate, but shaves like an R plate. Awesome - easy - efficient shave. The S2 is the bomb.

I've used a NEW SC before, and I found it to be a smooth shave, but not quite as close as the R2 on an Ikon Bulldog handle.

I then upgraded to S2 Kronos. I feel like the S2 slant is just as close (efficient), but a bit smoother (more comfortable) on the face. I also like the longer Kronos handle.

I recently purchased a 7 piece set and love it. Stan was great to work with. Based on what you're saying, get a 7 piece: Atlas, Kronos, S2, R2, and R1 plates. If you can only pick one, S2 Kronos sounds like the ticket. I'm not an enabler [emoji16]...

I'm very appreciative of everyone's advice. The sort of comments above are what push me toward getting just an Atlas or Kronos S2, as it sounds like it obviates the need for the rest. If it's closer than a NEW SC, and as close as the R2 but smoother, that sounds great. If I do get a 7-piece set, it's clear that the S2 will be in it.

Right now I'm reading through the whole "Above the Tie - Above the Crowd" thread again to get even more perspective, and I'll read more comments on the S2. I've seen somewhat surprising comments from some guys that the H1 feels less irritating than the R1 or R2. Since the Merkur 34C is a bit mild for me, and the NEWs and Red Tip Super Speed are winners with my beard, I'm thinking I should stay in the R, H, and S realm.

I'll probably write to Stan as well to get his advice, and I'm glad to know his return policy is there.

I thought the same thing - the 34C was a bit mild for me.............? Now after using the A.T.T. system, I love the M and R even if the polls and stats on the heads say different. Go figure.

I have the following plates: M1, H1, H2, R2 and H2 that I use the Kronos handle with. I use the H2 plate 95% of the time and one other plate the other 5% of the time. You really only need the one plate and the others will sit and collect dust.

I'd recommend the S2 or the R2 for you and you're all set. Stan at ATT will also exchange the plate for you or return your purchase price if you find that you aren't fond of the one you chose so there is little risk other than maybe some small shipping costs.

I have the following plates: M1, H1, H2, R2 and H2 that I use the Kronos handle with. I use the H2 plate 95% of the time and one other plate the other 5% of the time. You really only need the one plate and the others will sit and collect dust

I always wonder how much use these plates get. I only have the h2 and it's great. I don't see a need to buy another, though I'm curious about the S2. It's similar to when I had an adjustable....once I found the setting I liked I just left it there.

Top Bottom