What's new

Repairable or not?

I filed down the edge to get rid of the nicks. Can this Wade & Butcher blade be used?

Attachments

• $DSCF0179.jpg
    $DSCF0179.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 108
  • $DSCF0180.jpg
    $DSCF0180.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Earlier they said it was too rusted and pitted so I figured what the heck, nothing to lose. I used a Dremel to knock off the surface rust and filed off the nicks in the edge.

Personally it looks like there's a lot of good steel left but what do I know.

I'd like to have it working again if I didn't ruin it.

Know of anyone I should contact to see if they're interested in bringing this back to life?

Last edited:
as long as you didn't overheat the blade then all should be good. don't know if you have scales on it but if the scales are usable I would get her ready to run around the block. I never had a bad shave with a wade, as long as it is properly maintained you should be in for a long history of shaving. I just started on two razors a Damascus and an old greaves and sons they both are coming along very well. had a chip to get out on the greaves and a heel hook starting. I got the chip removed but haven't honed it up yet. I still have a bit of polish work to do before the pinning. good luck with the wade.

Definitely didn't heat up the blade. Used the file by hand on the edge and a wire brush in the dremel to knock off the rust.

It doesn't look all that great but I think the metal is good.

It files like high carbon steel. The file didn't skitter across the blade like it had been over hardened. Reminded me of a good knife blade, non-stainless of course.

The scales had deep dark spots on them so I tossed them. I didn't like them anyhow and wanted new scales.

What sort of scales are you thinking about and how polished do you want the blade? I might be willing to get it up and running for you.

Top Bottom