What's new

Very coarse beard with razor bumps and burn. Shave regularly?

As many have asked. .what is your pre shave routine. .I would go for a Gillette Adjustable razor so you can experiment with various shave levels.

Hi,
Ok, I normally shower, put my face under the water for 5 mins or so aswell just before turning off the water. I then get out of the shower and just dry my body leaving my face as wet as i can. Then i do the lather for a good 3-4 mins until creamy , lather my face up and shave.

Today i have just wet my face with hot water with a face towl , held it on my face for about 2-3 mins all over my beard. Mixed the lather up , and shaved and got this...

$WP_20150127_19_53_37_Raw.jpg

Agony isnt the word. Im red hot, feel like ive shaved with a broken bottle.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Nothing wrong with skipping shaves to allow healing. Avoid ATG until you're used to your razor/blade combo and have adequate lather.

I have a similar problem and thinking about it, I have had it for years. I have two patches on my throat that always look like that (I don't get the cuts but the red marks you have lower down are exactly the same), no matter how carefully I shave or what type of razor I use - electric, cartridge or DE. Seeing as it always happens in exactly the same place no matter what I do and never anywhere else, I am quite certain it has nothing to do with blade angle or pressure, for me personally. It might have nothing to do with your problem either.

I am thinking about trying some of the ingrown hair remedies sold online, such as bump patrol, as I cannot think of anything else to try at the moment. If I try to shave only WTG, as you seem to have done, I also get a really poor result with visible stubble, as you have, so that's not a practical solution either.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any useful advice, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!

I have a similar problem and thinking about it, I have had it for years. I have two patches on my throat that always look like that (I don't get the cuts but the red marks you have lower down are exactly the same), no matter how carefully I shave or what type of razor I use - electric, cartridge or DE. Seeing as it always happens in exactly the same place no matter what I do and never anywhere else, I am quite certain it has nothing to do with blade angle or pressure, for me personally. It might have nothing to do with your problem either.

I am thinking about trying some of the ingrown hair remedies sold online, such as bump patrol, as I cannot think of anything else to try at the moment. If I try to shave only WTG, as you seem to have done, I also get a really poor result with visible stubble, as you have, so that's not a practical solution either.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any useful advice, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Its a struggle isnt it? I love the idea of shaving , love the lathering and the smells , but hate the feel of the shave.

It is a struggle. I've been reading through a lot of threads about it and am still discovering new ones to read. One thing I don't understand is that even if I don't shave for a week, as soon as I do, I get the bumps back again. If they are from ingrown hairs and I've given them long enough to heal, I don't understand why they reappear immediately. Surely they shouldn't come back until the hairs grow inwards again? I also thought that I should try shaving more often but if I try to shave on consecutive days, it's usually much worse.

EDIT: Although I haven't worked out how to prevent them yet, I have found that using some kind of moisturiser and topping it off with a layer of Vaseline is the quickest way to alleviate the irritation (for me at least). It does make my face look greasy so not something to do after a morning shave if you're about to go to work but if you shave at night it might be worth trying. I'm currently using Boots Shea Butter Body Butter but I've tried other products, such as expensive anti wrinkle cream, and coconut oil, with similar results. I think it might be the Vaseline that really helps to be honest.

Last edited:
It is a struggle. I've been reading through a lot of threads about it and am still discovering new ones to read. One thing I don't understand is that even if I don't shave for a week, as soon as I do, I get the bumps back again. If they are from ingrown hairs and I've given them long enough to heal, I don't understand why they reappear immediately. Surely they shouldn't come back until the hairs grow inwards again? I also thought that I should try shaving more often but if I try to shave on consecutive days, it's usually much worse.

EDIT: Although I haven't worked out how to prevent them yet, I have found that using some kind of moisturiser and topping it off with a layer of Vaseline is the quickest way to alleviate the irritation (for me at least). It does make my face look greasy so not something to do after a morning shave if you're about to go to work but if you shave at night it might be worth trying. I'm currently using Boots Shea Butter Body Butter but I've tried other products, such as expensive anti wrinkle cream, and coconut oil, with similar results. I think it might be the Vaseline that really helps to be honest.

Cheers for that. Will try that. Ive found that if i leave it a few weeks wet shaving and just use my stubble electric thing, i can get a pretty comfortable shave but still have some razor bumps. Its the daily or even weekly shave that just makes my face feel like its on fire. I'll keep trying different things though. i might even go and get the sharpest blade with the most aggresive razor and just see if i can get away with just a WTG pass for a bit and see if the bumps go.

Matt

I think I will have to bite the bullet and do the same thing (or maybe 2 x WTG?). I work at home so I have nobody to impress but myself; I just hate seeing stubble on my neck in the mirror, after I've just shaved. Still, if it means I can eventually go ATG at some point in the future, I guess it's worth trying. Let us know how it goes for you and good luck.

I think im going to buy a new razor and put a feather in it and see if that helps. Any idea on which of these razors would be best given my issues?..

Merkur Progress
Merkur Futur
Merkur 39c Slant
Muhle R41

Any idea on which will give me a close shave with the least amount of passes?

Matt

I think im going to buy a new razor and put a feather in it and see if that helps. Any idea on which of these razors would be best given my issues?..

Merkur Progress
Merkur Futur
Merkur 39c Slant
Muhle R41

Any idea on which will give me a close shave with the least amount of passes?

Matt

The two adjustable will give you whichever shave you want. So those are always good. I have the mergress which is an upgraded progress and its great. You get to choose how aggressive a shave you want, even between passes. The future I don't own but have heard its more aggressive, even on its lowest setting.

Have you taken the time to map your hair growth? Perhaps in the area where you having problems you are inadvertently shaving against the grain.

I don't recall if it's been mentioned already, but you could try gently face lathering for longer than usual (say a full two minutes) to help the brush lift the beard from the skin and "float" it into the lather. If you have really coarse beard, it will also give the beard softeners in the soap time to take effect.

But right now, you have to take the time to heal, but keep washing your face with the brush to keep the points of the beard hair free and on top of the skin.

Before changing all your gear I would suggest the less expensive alternative of changing your soap. If you have the opportunity to try Proraso, please do so(it is also sold under the Omega, and C.O. Bigelow names).

Have you taken the time to map your hair growth? Perhaps in the area where you having problems you are inadvertently shaving against the grain.

I don't recall if it's been mentioned already, but you could try gently face lathering for longer than usual (say a full two minutes) to help the brush lift the beard from the skin and "float" it into the lather. If you have really coarse beard, it will also give the beard softeners in the soap time to take effect.

But right now, you have to take the time to heal, but keep washing your face with the brush to keep the points of the beard hair free and on top of the skin.

Before changing all your gear I would suggest the less expensive alternative of changing your soap. If you have the opportunity to try Proraso, please do so(it is also sold under the Omega, and C.O. Bigelow names).

Hi,

Im leaving shaving for a week and will just trim with my stubble thing to give my face a chance to heal. Ive got some Razorock XXX which is very slick so will really lather on my face for a long time (perhaps 5 mins if possible) and see if that does anything.

Matt

Hi,

Im leaving shaving for a week and will just trim with my stubble thing to give my face a chance to heal. Ive got some Razorock XXX which is very slick so will really lather on my face for a long time (perhaps 5 mins if possible) and see if that does anything.

Matt
Very good, give it time to heal, and try mapping your growth pattern, then slight stretching works for me.

I shaved today after 3 days rest (so 96 hours since my last shave). I have been using a stiff toothbrush to exfoliate my problem areas since the day after my last shave and I have seen a dramatic improvement.

It's not perfect yet but I have zero feeling of irritation on my neck today and very few bumps or redness. The few bumps I do have are not very visible - I think they are the old bumps that have gotten very small and almost disappeared. I would say that I can't tell you what a relief it is to feel this good after a shave but I think I can!

This was also my Super Bowl shave - I waited until an hour and a half before kick off on purpose - so I'm glad it went well. :001_smile

Last edited:
Congrats to you my friend that's great news. I didn't notice if you use a pre shave gel or glycerin soap but I find either helps me a lot.

Thanks very much. I use coconut oil soap to wash my face in the shower but no pre-shave gel / oil.

To the OP - Matt, I hope you have great results too when you next shave - if you haven't tried exfoliating with a brush yet, I think it's definitely worth giving it a go.

I shaved today after 3 days rest (so 96 hours since my last shave). I have been using a stiff toothbrush to exfoliate my problem areas since the day after my last shave and I have seen a dramatic improvement.

It's not perfect yet but I have zero feeling of irritation on my neck today and very few bumps or redness. The few bumps I do have are not very visible - I think they are the old bumps that have gotten very small and almost disappeared. I would say that I can't tell you what a relief it is to feel this good after a shave but I think I can!

This was also my Super Bowl shave - I waited until an hour and a half before kick off on purpose - so I'm glad it went well. :001_smile
That is a great idea, a Super Bowl shave ....

Top Bottom