What's new

How do you tell if its the blade or technique?

So I am fairly new to the DE world. I have a sample pack of blades (Gillette green, Bic, bluebird, and Feather). My technique is obviouse getting better, and I am starting to feel the difference betweent the blades. I have not tried the feather yet until I get a little better. However, I do notice the bluebirds are my favorite, but I am not convience it is the blade but possible my technique is better. So my question is how does one try to compare one blade to another? I have a thought that if I keep all things equal (brush, soap, razor, and the same day) I would shave 1/2 the face with one blade and the other 1/2 with another blade. Has anyone try this crazy test? Or I am just to obsesed to find the perfect blade. Any thought are appriciated (except the "don't worry about it" because that wouldn't be in fun).

No need to obsess over a blade. There are some outliers on the high end, like Feather and on the low end, like Dorco and Merkur. The remainder are clustered in the middle, like a bell curve.

Good blades are Astra SP's, Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette 7 o'clocks, Wilkinson Sword.

I feel that the biggest success factors are prep and technique.

Until you have over 100 DE shaves under your belt, its almost certain to be your technique. Try to keep your routine simple and with the same variables till you have your technique down.

don't try to obsess to much over blades you will run yourself ragged...find a blade that works good for you,and stick with it as not all blades work for everyone..focus more on your technique and your prep as i believe good prep goes along way..

Until you have over 100 DE shaves under your belt, its almost certain to be your technique. Try to keep your routine simple and with the same variables till you have your technique down.
+1. Whatever tests you run now, it is a technique to blame for poor results, not a blade. 100 is a right number too.

+1 on the suggestion to find a blade that works for you, stick with it, and work on technique -- or rather, let your technique evolve over time. I also agree that 100 shaves is a good number. But, truth be told, 1000 is even better. Enjoy the learning curve!

This is good advice.

I tried all kinds of blades and thought I could tell the differences between them when I started but I was completely wrong. Only after some time and many, many shaves had passed I retried them could I tell the differences between them and give a solid assessment of a blade.

Yep; Me too.

+100. I may be oversimplifying but I believe that shave success/quality is about 80% prep & shave technique and 20% blade & razor. That said, it is good to find the right blades for you. Through time I have learned that with my own prep and technique dialed in I can use just about any blade and get a good shave. But I do have favorite blades that I stay with. Good luck.

+100. I may be oversimplifying but I believe that shave success/quality is about 80% prep & shave technique and 20% blade & razor. That said, it is good to find the right blades for you. Through time I have learned that with my own prep and technique dialed in I can use just about any blade and get a good shave. But I do have favorite blades that I stay with. Good luck.

I like this 80/20 ratio. But also, raising kids in sports has taught me that having confidence in the quality of your equipment is psychologically important too, whether it's real or perceived importance. Otherwise it distracts from concentrating on technique. That's why finding a blade that works okay with your skin is a reasonable early step, albeit, not the game-changer. It sounds like you've found that Blue Bird is a good one for you so I'd stick with it and get better.

Frankly, sometimes you just get to shave with what's available (traveling), or maybe price is a factor, or longevity, or others. People prefer blades for a plethora of different reasons but they generally learn to get a good shave from any of them.

I've found that the way I can tell blades I like and don't like is right from the very first shave. There are blades that are perfect for me right from the get go, so now I don't need to wade through others that are only good on shaves 2-5.

It takes a while to get a really good technique down, for me it was 6 months-1yr. Once you feel like you've locked into a good combo with blade, handle, and brush, venture to other blades and you should know pretty quickly what the differences are. At that point you'll have your technique down and won't have to question it. In the beginning it's the most challenging because you don't know what's causing the problem, but stick with it and try to repeat things that seem to do well. It takes alot of shaves of tweaking before you know what works for you.

Stick to one setup. If your technique has improved then you can start changing blades.

I would focus on your prep, if done incorrectly the entire shave can be a disaster. I take a hot shower, while showering I keep rubbing my face with the hot water. Good luck!

I concur with everything said. Heed their advice.

Putting more work in the quality of the lather was an eye-opener for me, it makes everything go or not go. My lather determines my shave.
My prep is just lathering up and let that sit for a while, then lather over it so it's good to shave with.

And, of course, you're obsessed, look around, you're not alone, that's why you're here.

I have seen may new comers are afraid of feather blades. In my opinion if you are using a mild razor like Edwin Jagger DE89 you might get better experience with feather or similar sharp blades. But again YMMV.

If you can shave ATG safely (with any blade), you can know the blade effect... but it's just as much the razor's effect until you go shavette or DEvette

Last edited:
Top Bottom