What's new

left over ink

Just acquired a pilot metropolitan and some extra ink cartridges and a bottle on ink I'm am anxious to try. I started with a cartridge that is about half full still. Is there a way to save that one so I can fill the converter and play with the bottle of ink I bought?
P.S. I am enjoying the heck out of my new pen. Can't imagine needing more.
Prophoss

I've never tried it, but various suggestions include a hot glue gun, a dab of silicone sealant, or a drop of melted paraffin (candle wax).

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
saran wrap and some tape or a rubber bank? Just be sure to stand the cart upright to prevent leakage.

This can be pretty tricky. Measure the ID and the OD of the cartridge. Just kiddin'. Cut off a tiny piece of scotch tape. Stick it to the opening. Just stand up the cartridge and forget about it until you need it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Get some ink sample containers like those from Goulet Pens. Empty with a syringe, combine like/similar colors into one container use like bottled ink. Just a thought, never actually done it, probably reasons not to do it, but you're not really wasting any serious amount of ink if it doesn't work out.

You can reseal a Pilot Cartridge in a way not available with other brands of cartridge. I have done the following with complete empty Pilot cartridges after flushing the remnants of ink out of them. I'll refill them with a different ink, reseal them and put them aside until I need them. The same should work with a cartridge that is still half full.

• Using tweezers or needlenose pliers, pull out the plastic disk that originally sealed the cartridge. It will have turned sideways when you inserted the cartridge. Try not to damage the disk when removing it.
  • Reinsert it at the end of the cartridge in its original orientation. Using something round and as close as possible to the inner diameter of the cartridge, very slowly push it down until it seats near to its original position. My first couple of tries with this, I pushed too hard, off center, or too far and ended up turning it sideways again. Splattered some ink, too. After that, I did several cartridges with no problem.
  • Your resealed cartridge should be as secure as a new one. You can test it by placing it facing down in a cup or other ink catcher, and see if it leaks. If it's good after a couple of hours, you've done it right. Take it traveling with you if you like.
  • I picked up this suggestion on FPN. The poster there said to use an orangewood stick to push the disk in, but I didn't have one, so I used the back end of a dip pen handle.

You can dig a ditch with a hand, but a shovel is better, quicker and more efficient. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421375242.445389.jpg. Here I have a half full cartridge of ink. I could take nortacs advice and order some ink sample containers. Then go to the pharmacy and get a syringe. Once the containers come in from goulet I can start working. Well, actually I need several different containers, says Nortac. Now take your syringe and pull up all the ink from just that ONE cartridge and squirt it in to one of the several sample containers that nortac suggest you get in the first place.. Now, any time in the future that you have a similar color, you can just repeat the process. Put similar colors into the same container. BIG OR, you can just cut off a square of scotch tape. Stick it to the top of the cartridge. Now, just stand your cartridge were you like.. Next time you want to put it in the pen it's ready.$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421376053.695600.jpg

There is nothing wrong with Nortac's suggestion, nor with yours, and there is plenty of room here to offer ideas for different alternatives. In fact, the more the merrier.

Womp womp womppp lol I would use a dab of hot glue on the end and just peel it off when ready to use. I personally don't care about carts since they are cheap and readily available.

Some good suggestions y'all. I appreciate the good info. Slivovitz I might try that and see if I can reseal it. As reshoeusaf said they are cheap and wasting one or two sure ain't gonna break the bank here. I have been writing a lot trying to kill off this cartridge but they are lasting longer than I thought they would. Kind of surprised me. Again thanks y'all.

No worries! And trust me, once you load up on a good converter and 1,2,3,4,5,6 maybe 20 bottles of ink you won't even remember what a cartridge is. There are too many different colors and brands of inks that I feel like carts are a waste just like cart razors :)

Top Bottom