What's new

New Soap not softening Beard???

Has anyone here had the experience of switching brands of soap and finding that your whiskers are harder to cut? Prep, razor, and blade are the same. The only difference being the soap is from a different B&B member/soap maker. The lather seems slick enough and there's no skin irritation. The razor seems to drag a little through the whiskers and I'm left with a stubbly face. Also, my face is left dry all day, which is unusual since I have oily skin. I've always felt that beard softening is an attribute of good lather that is seldom mentioned.

Any comments?

-Clarke

Different soaps for different folks. We all have different experiences with them which is why we develop individual preferences.

Your beard has to get used to it, Have you tried Mitchells Wool Fat soap?
I haven't tried MWF. For the last few months I've been sampling soaps from our member/soapmakers. Prior to that, I used Van Der Hagen Deluxe. I'm cetainly no expert on shave soaps since I switched from canned foam only five months ago, but I can detect differences in the soaps from our various soapmakers. It may be in the oiliness or softness of the soap or the amount of soap film left behind. Heck, my friends used to think I was crazy when I told them I noticed performance differences in brands of canned foam or cartridges.

-Clarke

"Cartridge shaving...so easy, a caveman can do it."
"Shaving with a real blade...a skill to be learned."

a good soap or cream should be able to hold sufficient water in order to keep things wet during the whole shave. the water is the main thing that plumps up the hair so it's easier to cut. some of the other ingredients will add to a smooth skin conditioning and slick shave.

Top Bottom