What's new

First straight shave - need help

So i did my first full shave with my straight today. It did not go well. lol

Problem 1: Since this was my first full shave I was trying to really take my time and maintain good blade angle. The problem was that my lather would not stay moist. It would dry out to the point that it was flaking off my face like little snowflakes. I had to keep reapplying in order to keep it moist and it was a huge PITA, which resulted in some serious razor burn.

Problem 2: I might as well not have a left hand. It is completely useless. I am going to try and work on it, but in the meantime does anyone have recommended grips and strokes for a one-handed shave?

Problem 3: I can't see the blade when I'm doing my side burn area. Either my hand or the scales always seemed to be in the way.

Problem 4: The shave isn't even close. I concentrated on keeping the blade at a decent angle - about one thickness of the blade (largest part) off of my face. Not sure what to do about this.

That's more or less it. I'm frustrated. I expected it to go a good bit better than this (I was looking for passable, not perfection). Especially about the lather situation. I was lathering in the same way before I started with the straight and never had any razor burn. Oh well, nothing to do now but wait to heal and try again.

Thanks for any help.

I haven't completely mastered it yet but I'm about 120 shaves in and I'm getting some nice shaves so I figured I'd offer up some advice that might help.

Problem 1: Since this was my first full shave I was trying to really take my time and maintain good blade angle. The problem was that my lather would not stay moist. It would dry out to the point that it was flaking off my face like little snowflakes. I had to keep reapplying in order to keep it moist and it was a huge PITA, which resulted in some serious razor burn.
- With the lather you'll need to add more water. I'm not sure what soap you're using so I can't offer any specific advice but with a straight shave you'll need a wetter lather to keep the blade from sticking. Sometimes I just drip a few drops of water onto the soapy brush and reapply it that way if I notice that it's getting a little dry. It's easier than mixing it in the bowl again. As you get quicker with your shave it won't dry so much on you as well. If you share what soap you're using maybe we can offer some better advice.

Problem 2: I might as well not have a left hand. It is completely useless. I am going to try and work on it, but in the meantime does anyone have recommended grips and strokes for a one-handed shave? - I'm a one handed shaver for now as well. I'm working toward getting the other hand involved but there's no reason you can't get a good shave this way. You can hold the blade however you feel comfortable. I started with a CJB shavette which is basically a blade on a stick so I tend to hold the razor differently with the blade straight out from the handle and not at the traditional 90 degree open position. It's just more comfortable for me in using one hand to get the other side of my face this way. It's really what works best for you though since it's your face. I shave both sides of my face a bit differently as the hair grows in different directions on each side. You have to find what works best for you. You can experiment with a really dull blade of a butter knife to figure out how to attack the difficult spots.

Problem 3: I can't see the blade when I'm doing my side burn area. Either my hand or the scales always seemed to be in the way. - Yep, some areas I just do by feel now. As you become more comfortable with a straight razor you likely won't find this to be as much of a problem. Same thing with the blind spots from using the same hand for both sides of your face. You can hear and feel what you're doing. Muscle memory will take care of the rest once you develop it.

Problem 4: The shave isn't even close. I concentrated on keeping the blade at a decent angle - about one thickness of the blade (largest part) off of my face. Not sure what to do about this. - The learning curve with a straight razor is much longer and my straight shaves really sucked for a while. Not anywhere near the finished product that I could get from a de. Figure 100 shaves before you start to get the hang of it to where you're decent. You're starting over and you won't see a shave as good as you can likely get from a de razor until you have many, many shaves to your credit. Once you start to get good at it you'll not only get some really close shaves but also some of the most comfortable shaves you've experienced as well. Stretching your skin and really understanding how the hair on your face grows will help you get a better shave.

I'd suggest that you not go for perfection in your initial shaves and just focus on keeping yourself from leaking.
You will cut yourself occasionally during the learning process but the cuts are generally very minor and seal themselves up very quickly with some cold water and an alum block. After a while you won't be able to remember the last time you cut yourself.

Once you get used to it you'll start getting bbs on your cheeks, then on other parts of your face, until you have only a difficult spot or two left to master. You'll eventually see perfection but it requires a lot of practice and patience.

If you're not satisfied with your straight shaves you can finish up with a clean up pass with a de until you improve to the point where you don't need it anymore.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are trying to bite off too much at one time. You might focus on just the easy parts until you get used to the feel of the blade. Do this for a couple of days before you expand it. Keep it to a single WTG pass for a few days to a week before attempting an additional XTG or ATG pass. Using the left hand on the cheeks on the left side will be easiest. Try it to see if you can get a left side WTG. Seeing the razor on the sideburn really can create a problem. I was able to do it on the right, but not on the left. I kept searching and finally found it, but I sometimes still have to search for it. I think getting closer to the mirror on the left helped me as I was unconsciously further away when going left. Short repeating strokes will be more effective than longer ones. Stretching your skin with the off hand will improve results dramatically. Lastly, straight lather needs to be wetter than for DE shaving. Perhaps break it down and only lather part of your face, shave it, and apply lather to the next part, etc.

It sounds to me that you had a successful first shave. When I started, I could not imagine that I would ever get a shave as good as a DE shave. At about 50 shaves in, I was regularly surpassing anything I ever got on a two pass DE shave. Keep at it, don't bite off too much, be patient and it will get better.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here

1. Wetter lather . Sounds like you're doing it too dry. But getting practice will improve your speed.

2. I don't use my left hand either. I just do what feels comfortable.

3. Tilt your head and look under your arm. Otherwise work on shaving by feel.

4. Practice on the easy parts to start. Don't be afraid to use your DE to cover off other areas or cleanup if needed.

At least you sound to be less bloody than my first couple shaves with a shavette

Traditionally you are supposed to use your left hand for the left side and vice versa but do what I do along with several others and that is use what feels comfortable, I struggled at first with lots of issues like trying to do that along with to much pressure and incorrect angle but things are alot better now and I am coming up on my 100th shave, keep at it and go slow and watch for good technique that works for you and don't try for that BBS it will come but will take time, I personally have given up on my neck area trying to get a BBS due to the way my hair grows, I tried all sorts of things and it usually resulted in me getting cut so I finally settled on getting a DFS in that area and am okay with that.

Welcome to B&B tims5377: I would suggest watching these two YouTube S.R. Shaving videos. Introduction to S.R. shaving by Lynn Abrams and The Three Pass Shave by DRMATT357. Both helped me better my shaving technique. Learning to stretch your skin as you shave will improve the quality and comfort level. Good Luck

Last edited:
This, from the B&B Wiki, shows a guy doing a three pass shave in about 10 minutes, and he has been doing this for 30 years. Note he does it all with his right hand. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/136249-Chimensch-s-30th-Anniversary-Shaving-Video

There are no wrong answers with respect to dominant verses non-dominant hand. I tried to train my non-dominant hand, but there are just things that I cannot do with it. I do the N-S (WTG) using it over the entire non-dominant side of the shave. But ATG is either dominant hand or two hands.

Somewhere around 120 shaves between shavette and straight, the majority with with a sextoblade.

1. In addition to more water, try lathering a smaller area, perhaps a side or a quarter at a time. As has been said, you can always just-barely wet the tip of your brush and rehydrate. This works for me.

Problem 2: Worry about it later. Work on what you can now. When I'm working on the opposite side, I've found it helps to move my grip up the scales and almost straighten the razor completely. If things start getting tight, like under the chin, I'll fold the scales back, almost double. It's a bit hard to describe, but both work better than anything else I've tried.

Problem 3: I've been able to see pretty much everything. I did use one of the little wall mounted Ikea adjustable shaving mirrors in the past to help when I couldn't figure out how to see in the regular mirror.

Problem 4: The shave isn't even close. I concentrated on keeping the blade at a decent angle - about one thickness of the blade (largest part) off of my face. Not sure what to do about this.

The angle will come with time. Start on your cheeks and open up the angle until the razor is shaving closely. Once you've got that figured out, apply it to the harder areas. Take your time and don't shoot for a BBS. My typical shave right now is four gentle passes with a bit of clean up under the neck and results in a DFS, just short of the BBS. It's nothing I try for, and I don't get upset if I miss. As long as I'm presentable there's always tomorrow's (or the evening's if I'm going out...) shave to get things right!

Enjoy the shaves!

Best,
Jerry

After a couple of thousand shaves, you too can do a 2 pass shave using both hands in less than 4 minutes like Willie.:w00t:

The man knows his razor and his face. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to dfoulk.

Problem 3: Take it or leave it but i usually place the blade on my side burn and then i place my hand over the razor and pull the skin.

Good luck mate.

A couple of questions;

1. Was the razor honed prior to you receiving it? Alot of difficulties I had when starting out involved a not so sharp factory edge. Does the blade cut the hairs with minimal pulling or does it tend to ride up and over the hairs. The edge could be damaged from learning to strop the razor. Try a HHT after stropping it with the strop on the table.

2. If your skin is tender, take a day off and try to lighten up on the pressure next time. I'm in construction and can get away with shaving every other day as the straight shaves me closer than an M3. I get a better shave with a rest day inbetween then when i need to shave in 24-36 hrs due to a social requirement.

3. Concerning the lather drying out... i think everyone has been there. I'm in the process of finishing up a puck of MWF and finally figured it out 3 weeks ago. It was a been there done that soap till then when I really started loading it up it gained volume, slickness, cush and wetness that it was lacking. It has gained some respect.

4. If your skin is alittle tender post shave, Nivea For Men Sensitive Skin post shave balm periodically to tame the flame. When switching back to the straight after a long hiatus, i was unaware of the pressure I was using with an M3. If the edge was not quite right alittle more pressure would work well till the burn set in. It is easier to touch up and edge than deal with the burn.

I had previously used a straight for 9 years. The learning curve was long and probably would have given up if I had not ran into an old geezer who gave me some honing tips. With the info resources and free info exchange here, i learned more in a month than i did in 9 years on my own. Welcome to the
Club.

Top Bottom