What's new

aggressiveness vs beard growth

I have noticed that I tend to enjoy my shaves a lot more when I have several days growth. In the world of wet shaving, where variables can make or break your success, I have invariably found that longer growth = a better and closer shave with no weepers.

When I shave with on 1-2 days of growth, the same blade in the same razor feels more aggressive, particularly when going across the grain. This happens to the point where I consider taking my slim from a 7 down to a 3 or 4 if I'm just cleaning up slight growth.

Anyone else notice a correlation between aggressiveness, growth, and closeness?

I'm enjoying shaving so much I rarely skip days anymore!

I'll have to see how it goes the next time I have more than the normal overnight growth.

If I wait more than 1 day, IMHO my skin has recovered (is less sensitive, and any irritation has gone) and the beard is softer. Waiting another day or [gasp] two and these factors increase. So less frequent shaves are always better for me. I would think that a less aggressive razor would be better (i.e. more comortable) because the shaving is easier.

A bit of a disclaimer: I only use injectors and the ones in my rotation are pretty close in aggressiveness. The major variable for me is blade age/sharpness, and I use the less-sharp ones on the longer beard.

My beard curls and swirls. If the beard gets too long it makes for a rough shave. So, I shave every day.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've shaved after a couple of days of growth; I understand your feeling but wonder if it's just the satisfaction of an obviously clean shave that isn't as noticeable when I shave daily.

I tried an astra for the first time in a long time, and along with a setting of 3 and 4 on the slim it definitely made for a milder shave.

There might be an advantage to a milder shave in a few ways.

I've shaved after a couple of days of growth; I understand your feeling but wonder if it's just the satisfaction of an obviously clean shave that isn't as noticeable when I shave daily.
Yes, there is that!

I'm beginning to realize that shaving is very much a state of mind, as much as mechanics.

As the great Yogi said (about baseball, but it applies to shaving as well): " it's ninety percent mental and the other half is physical" :001_smile

My beard (and head) seems to need much more prep for daily shaves than skip days. I actually find that a more aggressive razor feels much smoother on daily shaves than my other razors.

ive always alternated days. not so much for shave closeness, but daily shaves just seemed to irritate my skin too much (at least in my cans and carts days).
but even back then, I did notice that some of my best shaves were at the 3-4 day growth mark. my theory was the hair got oilier and softer when given the chance to grow out.

I shave every day, because I think an unshaven look does not fit in a business environment. So I wouldn't know.

What I do know is that I like mild razors. An agressive razor may require less passes, but I usually do not aim for BBS anyway.

I shave every day, because I think an unshaven look does not fit in a business environment. So I wouldn't know.

What I do know is that I like mild razors. An agressive razor may require less passes, but I usually do not aim for BBS anyway.
If I was shaving daily, I too would not expect bbs either.
my compromise is, as smooth a shave as possible. Every other day. That way, on my off day, I usually haven't got too much stubble for a professional environment.
but I do plan my shave days around important meetings, events etc.

When I shave with on 1-2 days of growth, the same blade in the same razor feels more aggressive, particularly when going across the grain. This happens to the point where I consider taking my slim from a 7 down to a 3 or 4 if I'm just cleaning up slight growth.

Anyone else notice a correlation between aggressiveness, growth, and closeness?

I have noticed that too, I shave every 4 days.

i have gone a couple days and gone a full week,especially during hunting season in deer camp,i myself am an everyday shaver,and to be honest speaking for myself i enjoy shaving whether its everday or if i let i go i really dont see a satisfying difference in length of time but more satisfied in the shave i achieve everytime...

This makes sense. Another case of YMMV. It's my preference to shave every few days. And if I do shave on back to back days I go milder on the adjustment.

My situation exactly!

This morning's shave was far better. I dialed it down to 5 going across the grain and I'm feeling pretty smooth.

Yes, there is that!

I'm beginning to realize that shaving is very much a state of mind, as much as mechanics.

As the great Yogi said (about baseball, but it applies to shaving as well): " it's ninety percent mental and the other half is physical" :001_smile

I would say 80% physical and 20% mental. ..using that extremely sharp blade requires much physical alertness, where as in baseball if you swing wild you have good chance of hitting the ball....not the same with a shave, you need extreme physical attention to each stroke.

I would say 80% physical and 20% mental. ..using that extremely sharp blade requires much physical alertness, where as in baseball if you swing wild you have good chance of hitting the ball....not the same with a shave, you need extreme physical attention to each stroke.
Indeed. Well said, sir. Although, strictly speaking, the "attention" is a mental exercise.

Whatever...another quote (from "Hill Street Blues"): "Be careful out there!"

Last edited:
Indeed. Well said, sir. Although, strictly speaking, the "attention" is a mental exercise.

Whatever...another quote (from "Hill Street Blues"): "Be careful out there!"
Yes, maybe it was said by Denzel Washington, but as in shaving, be careful with each stroke, or you will do the time.

Top Bottom