What's new

Push Ups! Daily goal! Feel free to join in!

Greetings!

Over the last quarter of 2014, the idea was implanted of doing 1000 push-ups in a single day. After giving the idea some considerable thought, I started doing 100 push-ups a day. After ten days of this, It was a physical struggle to reach 100. After taking time off and randomly reducing and increasing the amount of push-ups I do in a day, this February will by my 300 mark. I believe in fifteen months, at my current pace, i'll be able to achieve 1000 in a day.

Anyone else have a daily push-up goal?

Feel free to join. It'll be interesting to read some of the numbers.

Plus, Beach and golf season is right around the corner. :001_cool:

Regards,

Brijann

I do 2-3 workouts each week that include pushups, but I don't have much interest in trying to do 1000 in a day. I've had enough shoulder issues the last couple of years lol. That's a heck of a goal though and I look forward to seeing your progress!

That sounds pretty intense. I like it! Currently, pushups are my mortal enemy. I'm only good for about 25-30 at a given time. But if I spread em out over the course of a day, I might be able to hit 100, that's a big maybe though lol. Couldn't hurt to try though.

See this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-166594.html

from the thread:
L. Martino

Hiya,

Back in the mid 60s I knew someone (Chick Linster) who could do a LOT of push ups. This guy was also a good high school gymnast, but he was best known for holding the world record for consecutive push ups when he was a sophomore or junior I believe.

Yeah, he did 606 without a break. Not bad eh? Pretty tough to imagine doing that many. I'm actually just teasing y'all, so excuse me for that.

The real number was 6006. Six thousand and six push ups. Isn't that the oddest thing? What's even stranger is his record's been broken a bunch of times since then. Now what is up with that?

A tragic note to the whole thing was later that year, Chick was working the parallel bars I believe. Somehow, something went badly wrong and he was paralysed after the resulting accident. True story.

Martin

I went to the same high school as Chick Linster, though about a decade later. I think he passed away in 2012.

Check out this link, where Chick tells his own, rather remarkable story.

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/ulysses.html

Linster's record was done non-stop, which was the standard then required for inclusion as world record by Guinness. Stop and you were done. Break your posture and you were done.

Since then, Guinness changed the rules to "as many as you can do in 24 hours with as many rests as you like." Since then, the record has repeatedly been obliterated:

Tommy Gildert, 9,105 push-ups on July 1, 1979,
Colin Hewick, 10,029 push-ups on July 18, 1982,
Tommy Gildert, 24,044 push-ups in 24 hours on March 29-30, 1985,
Paul Lynch, 25,753 push-ups on July 18, 1985,
Jack Atherton, 29,601 pushups in 24 hours on July 11-12, 1986,
Jeffery Warwick, 32,251 push-ups on June 16, 1987,
Paul Lynch 32,573 push-ups in 24 hours on 12-13 September, 1987,
Paddy Doyle 37,350 push-ups in 24 hours on May 1-2, 1989,
Charles Servizio 43,360 push-ups in 24 hours on January 18-19, 1992,
Junber Lezhava, 44,141 push-ups in 24 hours, 1992 and
Charles Servizio, 46,001 push-ups in 24 hours on April 24-5, 1993.

See another article from Chick Linster:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups-linster.html

You fellows participating in this challenge have your work cut out for you. That said, it's still just a matter one more push-up at a time followed by another and another. Go to it guys (and gals).

From Guiness's website:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html

WORLD RECORDS

• non-stop: 10,507; Minoru Yoshida (JAP), Oct 1980 DETAILS
  • one year: 1,500,230; Paddy Doyle (GBR), Oct 1988 - Oct 1989
  • 24 hours: 46,001; Charles Servizio (USA), 24/25 April 1993 at Hesperia VIDEO
  • 1 hour: 3,877; Bijender Singh (IND), 20 Sept 1988 DETAILS AND NATIONAL RECORDS
  • 1 hour (women): 1020; Alicia Weber (USA), 1020, 13. August 2011 in Clermont, Florida, USA (in this hour, she did also 826 mountain climber exercises!)
  • 30 minutes: 2,354; Rolf Heck (GER), 13 Nov 2000
  • 30 minutes (women): 829; Alicia Weber (USA), 8 February 2011 in Clermont, Florida, USA
  • 10 minutes (women): 450; Alicia Weber (USA), 24 May 2009 in Clermont, Florida, USA
  • 5 minutes: 441; Giuseppe Cusano (GBR), Loftus Road Soccer Stadium at the Fulham v. Portsmouth game on 24 Nov 2003 VIDEO
  • 3 minutes (women): 190; Renata Hamplová (TCH), Record Festival Pelhrimov 1995
  • one minute: Record claims up to 199 in one minute have been made. We do, however, not continue to publish these record claims, because it became impossible to judge about the correctness of the exercises at this speed. The last record that was accepted by the Guinness Book of Records were138, achieved by Roy Berger (Canada) in on 28 February 2004 in Ottawa. Before, we have also verified 138 pushups in one minute, achieved by William T. Mello (USA) on 30 May 2002. The same statement applies for the category "100 push ups with legs on a 80 cm high table" where the last verified record was 45.7 seconds by Roy Berger (Canada), achieved on 24 February 2001 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • one-armed, one week (168 hours): 16,723; Paddy Doyle (GBR), Feb 1996 in Birmingham
  • one-armed, 5 hours: 8,794; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 12 Feb 1996 in Birmingham
  • one-armed, 1 hour: 2521; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 12 Feb 1990 in Birmingham
  • one-armed, 30 minutes: 1382; Doug Pruden (CAN), 30 July 2003 at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
  • one-armed, 10 minutes: 546; Doug Pruden (CAN), 30 July 2003 at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
  • one-armed, 10 minutes (women): 180; Alicia Weber (USA) on 23 September 2011 in Clermont, Florida
  • one-armed, on back of hands, one hour: 1025; Doug Pruden (CAN) at the Don Wheaton Family YMCA in Edmonton, 8 November 2008
  • one-handed handstand pushups: Yury Tikhonovich (RUS) did twelve pushups while standing on one hand in June 2006 at the Starclub variete in Kassel (Germany). He repeats this feat almost every day in the rehearsal for his show VIDEO (AVI, 1.3 MB)
  • on fists: 5557 (in 3:02:30 hours), Doug Pruden (CAN), 9 July 2004, Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
  • 1000 pushups on fists: 18:13 minutes, Doug Pruden (CAN), 9 July 2003 at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
  • on back of hands, 15 minutes: 627; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham RECORD HISTORY
  • on back of hands, 15 minutes (women): 385 (including a record of 251 consecutive ones without leaving the push-up position); Eva Clarke (Australia), 19 June 2013 at Gems American Academy in Abu Dhabi, UAE VIDEO
  • on back of hands, 30 minutes: 1386; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham RECORD HISTORY
  • on back of hands, 1 hour: 1940; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham RECORD HISTORY
  • finger-tips, 5 hours: 8,200; Terry Cole (GBR), 11 May 1996 in Walthamstow
  • one finger: 124 Paul Lynch (GBR), 21 April 1992 in London
  • on both thumbs with 30 kg extra weight: 20 David Zhorzholiani (GEO), 19 October 2013 in Marneuli, Georgia
  • with a 50 lb [22.68 kg] plate weight on his back: 4,100: Paddy Doyle (GBR), 28 May 1987 in Birmingham
  • with hands on raw eggs: 112; Johann Schneider (AUT) / a video can be downloaded here as Quicktime video (1.2 MB) or AVI video (1.4 MB)
  • one-armed, with hand on a raw egg: 8; Darryl Learie (Canada), 5 January 2012 in the city TV studio at Breakfast Television Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. VIDEO, THE STORY BEHIND THE RECORD
  • while balancing on three medicine balls (diameter: 24 cm), 1 minute: 70: Joh-A Kpalete (GER/TOG) on 8 December 2014 at Powrx fitness company in Köngen, Germany
  • while balancing on three medicine balls (diameter: 22 cm), 1 minute (women): 61; April Calderon on 14 September 2012 at Millennium Park in Chicago VIDEO
  • Planche pushups, 1 minute: double amputee Temur Dadiani (GEO) did 36 planche pushups (starting from and returning to a planche position) on 3 August 2014 at The Ministry of Defence of Georgia, in Tbilisi. VIDEO
  • Bakasana Pushups: 42 while keeping the "Bakasana" (crow) yoga position, Kukuri Salbishvili (GEO), 16 September 2014 in the Ksani #15 prison, Georgia VIDEO
  • 4 hr relay (team of 10): 17104 by a team at Owensboro Middle School (Kentucky, USA) on 30 June 2012. The team members were Bob O'Brien, Mark Kahn, Scott Lowe, James Egbert, Marcus Winstead, Khiry Maddox, Collin Carrico, Mazden Ng, Anthony Tate and Chris Vessels.

Last edited:
Noble goal! Are you shooting to do them all in one setting or a 24 hour period? The latter seems more likely based upon the records above...I mean a thousand in a day is chump change apparently :p

Wow! Those records are unreal! I'll setting the goal to do 1000 in a day. At 230lbs I think 1000 is going to give me a run for my money :)

I used to not be able to do push-ups because I was overweight. After losing 60 pounds, I am able to do them again. I still do not enjoy them, though :lol:

John Gotti was reported to do one to two thousand a day when he was incarcerated in the latter years of his life.

Push ups build endurance. Push ups are a great form of exercise for several reasons. First, a push up is something that anyone can do whether or not they have money to spend on fitness equipment. Second, they do not require any extra skills, making them a possible form of exercise/weight training for anyone. Third, the results of consistent push ups are visible after a relatively short period of time.

my friends and i used to play the "push-up game". we would take turns flipping cards out of the deck and do push-ups based on number and suit. the suit would change the hand position. we typically did around 150 pushups per game. at my peak i could rattle off two sets of fifty with a minute break in between. i would do this during slow times working at a gas station. every now and again a customer would come in while i was still working and i would have to explain what in the world i was doing on the ground. by comparison, my total seems like a puny amount of push-ups, so i'll take a challenge of sorts and aim for 100 consecutive pushups(i am somewhere in the vicinity of 30 right now). i'll re-val from there.
good luck on 1000!

I can do 100 in a row. It's more about mental focus than it is actual strength. I used to do 100 every day, but 100 in a row will sort of exhaust you for the rest of the day.

Wow, I have to say Guinness has some pretty lack standards for a push up judging by the Charles Servizio video.

Where's Ouch? I thought he was the official B&B push-up champion.

Seriously, back in the day my wrestling coach, like all wrestling coaches it seems, was a proponent of physical and mental conditioning. To that end, when the team did push-ups or sit-ups they were done in sets of 100. One practice there was too much jacking around witnessed by the coach. The end result was 1200 push-ups and 1800 sit-ups, in sets of 100. Not fun. I even recall the weigh-ins at a tournament following the practice...half the team had blisters on their lower back. If I never do another push-up again....

Top Bottom