What's new

Corona Old Boy vs Double Corona - Opinions?

Hey gang - I'm exploring throwing my 3rd Xikar into a watery grave and doing what I should have done originally - bought a IM Corona. I am back and forth with the Old Boy (old classic) and the sleek retro looking Double Corona for that impressive double soft flame.

Anyone have suggestions on either? For what it's worth - it will be strictly for pipes.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
One of my favorite features of the Old Boy is the pinpoint accuracy of the angled flame. I would think the Double Corona would be better suited for lighting cigars

I just picked up a Kiribi lighter instead of the Old Boy. Soft flame, dual jet... I got the Ohgi, so it has built in pipe tools. Very solid built, and has the classic Old Boy look. Could be an option for you to look into as well.

One of my favorite features of the Old Boy is the pinpoint accuracy of the angled flame. I would think the Double Corona would be better suited for lighting cigars

Derrick hit the nail on the head.

For me both the old boy and the Double Corona are for indoor use, a little bit of a breeze and they will go out. My everyday carry is still a zippo since it is much more wind-proof.

Both are nice, solid, high quality lighters, the double Corona for lighting cigars is nice, but I still tend to use torches since they are more wind proof. Also a 3 jet torch is easier/faster for me to toast the foot of the cigar than a soft flame. But soft flames are nice when you really have that extra time.

Sorry if I'm late to the party. But this is pretty spot on.

I own and use both lighters, although I only smoke cigars. If I were using it for a pipe exclusively, it would be the Old Boy all the way. I would think the flame would be a bit on the large side for a pipe when using the Double Corona. As others have stated, when outside you have to do the cover method to light anything.

One thing to keep in mind is if you plan on carrying it in a pocket. All that stuff on top the Old Boy catches on EVERYTHING. I've even had the cap get lifted up and all the butane leaking out (which is probably a fire hazard for my person).

Either way both will last you for a long long time. Just be sure to use quality butane in whatever lighter you purchase.

Just to tie everyone in I found out from Music City Marketing, the sole USA distributor for IM Corona that the corona double has been discontinued.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

One thing to keep in mind is if you plan on carrying it in a pocket. All that stuff on top the Old Boy catches on EVERYTHING. I've even had the cap get lifted up and all the butane leaking out (which is probably a fire hazard for my person).

No mas pantalones

Just to tie everyone in I found out from Music City Marketing, the sole USA distributor for IM Corona that the corona double has been discontinued.

Yes. This is quite unfortunate. Apparently there was only 1 man that made the fuel tanks and he retired. So they have decided to discontinue it rather than find someone else. There are still plenty out there to be had, but I'm sure they will be going fast.

Top Bottom