What's new

Opinions on Razorock XXX

I've tried it on a couple of occasions -- bought it, used it, traded it away, traded for another, used it...

I've not found XXX to be a great performer. I really wanted to love it, because others seem to, but I didn't find it to have the slickness that I prefer, and it didn't create the cushiony, creamy lather that I expected. It may have been user error; many love it, so there must be something there that I missed.

For the price, I'd lean toward Stirling.

This is my experience as well. At least with the current incarnation of XXX. Once a pass with the razor is made, I cannot make a second pass because the area is completely dried out. There is no remaining slickness that I get with other soaps. I really wanted to like XXX, but its just not usable for me.

Hi all,
I'm considering picking up a tub of Razorock XXX because I've heard such great things about it. That being said, I'd like to compare it to soaps that I've already used. In terms of face feel and protectiveness, how would you rate it against Mike's? As for slickness, how would it stack up against Stirling?
Thanks for the help,
Porter
Purchased two tubs of Razorock XXX based upon the high marks it gets from readers here. Well, much to my disappointment, I personally found the product to be....well....a bit underwhelming; at best. Used it a few times, wanting to like it, but found that it was about as boring as watching paint dry. Have an unused brand new tub if anyone wants it along with one that's about 97% used. To me, grossly overrated.

Agree, it's ok at best, find myself reaching for it maybe once a month, imo the few Razorock soaps I have at the moment, xxx and p160 just don't perform at the same level as some of my other artisan soaps. Won't purchase these again, but I do want to pick up a tub of mudder focker at some point, heard nothing but stellar reviews from most.

You have to make sure you get the se w/tallow ones as they are far superior to the regular formula.

Yep, it's the SE w/ tallow! I thought that if my Dad didn't really get into it and only ever used that soap, then at least it would be a really good one. That, and I'll be able to sneak a couple shave in as well.

I ended up going with another option, I chose Catie's Bubbles instead. It's a lot more expensive, especially since I'm North of the 49, but $/ounce are similar and I've heard really good things about the performance. Of course, to each their own, but I'm looking forward to using CB as it comes in, and maybe XXX one day.

Purchased two tubs of Razorock XXX based upon the high marks it gets from readers here. Well, much to my disappointment, I personally found the product to be....well....a bit underwhelming; at best. Used it a few times, wanting to like it, but found that it was about as boring as watching paint dry. Have an unused brand new tub if anyone wants it along with one that's about 97% used. To me, grossly overrated.
If you are piffing it I will take it

If you are piffing it I will take it

I would love to have the other one!

The smell reminded me of Fruit Loops cereal, so I PIFed mine off to another member. I felt like it performed as well as any of the other RR soaps.

I like XXX it's a good performer but in comparison to Mikes I would say it isn't quite as good. Mike's is slicker, offers better cushion and is superior post shave. XXX loads and lathers a bit easier. It is very good though and worth owning. As far as the scent comparison to AdP colonia I find XXX to be much closer to Rockawear 9IX. I haven't used stirling so I couldn't offer a comparison there.

Good, but nothing special. I don't think it would be as popular if it weren't for the fact that they used to run out of it so often. That built up the hype quite a bit and was one of the reasons I jumped on it when it came back in stock.

It makes great lather, is plenty slick, provides good protection, and a respectable post shave. But Stirling does all of that better IMO. I don't care 1 bit about easy load/lather, and am happy to take the time to build a lather with Stirling. It's a different beast from the XXX, probably due to the clay and lanolin.

XXX is worth trying, because if you happen to be one of those who enjoys the scent, you won't want to go without it. Mine is nice and citrusy, almost like an Arnie Palmer Half & Half. I enjoy this every now and again, so I'm happy to keep it around.

Yep, it's the SE w/ tallow! I thought that if my Dad didn't really get into it and only ever used that soap, then at least it would be a really good one. That, and I'll be able to sneak a couple shave in as well.

I ended up going with another option, I chose Catie's Bubbles instead. It's a lot more expensive, especially since I'm North of the 49, but $/ounce are similar and I've heard really good things about the performance. Of course, to each their own, but I'm looking forward to using CB as it comes in, and maybe XXX one day.

You're going to love CB! In my experience, in comparison to XXX, it is a lather beast! It's seems slicker to me as well. Enjoy!

I am queuing XXX in my rotation so I have not tried it yet. One strange thing for me is that I detect absolutely no scent! I don't know if I got an off batch, or if I am genetically incapable of smelling whatever fragrance it is supposed to be, but I barely even detect more than just a mild, unscented soap smell.

I will probably check it out this weekend when I change it up...

It's an OK soap (the current version) that is overhyped IMO. Nothing to write home about in term of slickness, regardless if I use soft or distilled water. Like most tallow-based soap (including the dirt cheap Arko), it has very good cushioning though. I have other tallow-based soap that are better - e.g. D.R. Harris - and some vegans that are noticeably better - e.g. Martin de Candre, Castle Forbes or Saponificio Varesino.

Edit: It's not expensive compared to other products I have listed, so with XXX I got what I paid for, but bang for the buck is not my #1 criteria.

Last edited:
A lot people go crazy for xxx,but they are talking for the old formulation.So what about the older vs the newer xxx?
Btw is it similar to castle forbes lime in terms of scent?Thank you!

I think it's fantastic. Great price and performance.

It's quite popular and easy to get hold of these days. If he stopped selling its I'm 100% sure people will people will reminisce and say it's the best soap in the world.

Also bought XXX recently and found it to be an average performer. Certainly not worthy of the hype it receives. It's not bad, just average. Didn't find it to be overly slick and the scent was good but reminded commercial hand soap.

I find Stirling shaving soap to be much much better....in a completely different league.

Last edited:
I just 3017'ed a tub of XXXt (only sampled the original AdP version), and I find this latest iteration to be excellent. At first, I was getting "meh" shaves but found that you need more product compared to RR's other formulas to generate the requisite amount quality lather for shaving. I doubled my normal loading time and was rewarded with fantastic results. It effectively doubles the cost per shave, but it's still reasonable considering a tub costs only $10.

For me, even at its cost it is less than average at best. Some folks love it, I'm not in that camp. I 3017'd it to use it up or I would never finish the tub and found I needed a pre-shave oil with it. Again these are my results. For a few dollars more MWF or Mikes are far superior in every way. When I first started I bought into the hype from folks who, as it turns out, are nothing more than shills on YouTube who sang its praises. Lesson learned for me.

Top Bottom