What's new

Thater silvertip .it's here !

Today I finally got my 4125 2 two band finest silvertip. This thing is beautiful! Many thanks to all the people who guided me to it. I returned the art of shaving finest badger. And bought this bad boy. I was reading the info it came with and it said not to face lather with this brush as it will viod the warranty. Hopefully that's not true as I bought it exclusively for face lathering. I have grown out of bowl lathering and don't need to anymore.

$1421097204814.jpg
$1421097278514.jpg

Last edited:
That's a handsome brush! Hey, if you get a chance and have rulers handy, I'd love if you could measure the height of the handle. Just curious as I'm looking to order the same thing and wondering how it compares to my 4125/1 and 49125/2.

Enjoy!

I didn't now what I was missing. This thing in on another level... I had a nice 3 pass shave with more than enough lather for another 3 passes. It's exactly what I was looking for. So soft with a lot of backbone. I didn't think silvertip brushes had backbone like that. I'm impressed. Hopefully this thing last me a long time because I don't want to have to spend that kind of money on a brush again.

Today I finally got my 4125 2 two band finest silver tip...I was reading the info it came with and it said not to face lather with this brush as it will viod the warranty. Hopefully that's not true as I bought it exclusively for face lathering.
Nice brush! I took delivery of a Thater 4292 2-band on Saturday, and I was surprised to read Thater's caution against face leathering as doing so could cause premature breakage and wear of the badger hairs. I, too, primarily face lather, and I'm interested to read the experience of other long term Thater 2-band owners who face lather.

Last edited:
Jarick. The handle is about 46mm tall. I like the 26mm knot. It's beautiful. I think I may have to get a 30mm next time to compare lol.

I've yet to hear about anyone having issues with a Thater from face lathering. I do with my Thater's. It's my property, I'll do what I want with it!

Congratulations on your new brush! Thater 2 bands are my favorite as well. But I had a Thater 2 band installed into a much longer handle since I bowl lather exclusively.

Thater isn't the only major brush manufacturer to warn against using the brush for face lathering. However, there is no harm in doing so as long as you aren't mashing the brush completely flat against your face (or on soap) and doing vigorous circular motions with it all the while pushing down really hard. Doing so will certainly shorten the life of your brush.

By the way, some of us bowl lather by choice. For different reasons. It is not necessarily something one has to "grow out of." :001_smile

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Thater. I have a 4125/1 fan and a 4292/4 bulb both in 2-band. I think you will be very pleased.

Lol. Now that I read that it looks funny. I meant I don't need a bowl to get multiple passes. As a newbie I couldn't get good enough lather just in my brush I needed a bowl to hold it. Mostly I think it was because I had small brushes. The Semogue 830 changed me into a face latherer. I like skipping the bowl now a days. I'm sure some of the most seasoned of wet shavers bowl lather . And I still do when I want to try out a new soap to see how it lathers without having to get it on my face and clean up . To each his own.

And yes I'm beyond pleased. Do you thater owners ever shampoo and condition your brush(s)? If so how often? I want this brush to get the best of care.

Lol. Now that I read that it looks funny. I meant I don't need a bowl to get multiple passes. As a newbie I couldn't get good enough lather just in my brush I needed a bowl to hold it. Mostly I think it was because I had small brushes. The Semogue 830 changed me into a face latherer. I like skipping the bowl now a days. I'm sure some of the most seasoned of wet shavers bowl lather . And I still do when I want to try out a new soap to see how it lathers without having to get it on my face and clean up . To each his own.

To each his own indeed. This hobby is extremely subjective. Part of the fun is finding out what works for you. Then looking for other things that work for you and then looking for...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I use my Thater 4125/2 3 Band exclusively for face lathering also. It's what the brush was really suited to. Lots of brands say not to face lather, not to use circular strokes, and so on. I assume it's just to try to avoid getting back brushes that have been ruined by new wet shavers that weren't sure how to care for them.

Just use that darn thing! I have a good handful of brushes right now and none of them beat my Thater. I'm sure you'll love it! I need to get a 2 Band myself, I only have a 3 Band Thater. Still beats all my other brushes.

Yeah I'll say I've never Sen a brush hold so much lather. Or a brush that soft with so much backbone. I'm trying to to take it easy with so it lasts a long time.

Yeah I'll say I've never Sen a brush hold so much lather. Or a brush that soft with so much backbone. I'm trying to to take it easy with so it lasts a long time.

The best ways to take care of it are not to mash it completely flat under use, not use water hotter on it than you would use on your skin and last but not least rinse out completely and thoroughly after each use. Once I think I am done rinsing and squeezing the water out I do another coouple of rinse rounds just to be sure.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush

Nah, just use it as you normally would. As long as you're not totally trying to abuse it, it'll do great.

Top Bottom