What's new

Why does there seem to be more lather inside the brush

I have been using Mitchell's Wool Fat with a Tweezerman brush and mostly face lathering. And after about a week and a half with it I am really quite happy with the results. The stuff is great, but it seems like there is more lather inside the brush which comes out when I sequze the brush than what ends up on the tips and my face? Is that normal or is my technique needing a bit of work.

To lather the brush I soaked it then squeezed out most of the water. Then I spent about a minute loading it on the soap before lathering a bit in the bowl then the rest on my face.

That sounds normal. A brush holds lather much like a sponge holds water: mostly capillary action and surface tension, I think. Squeeze away. If you notice that the core lather feels different than the surface lather — thicker or wetter — that may mean you should mix a bit longer.

The more internal surface area a brush has, the more lather it can hold. Gents sometimes decide a brush is a "lather hog", but that simply means it has a large internal surface area.

That sounds normal. A brush holds lather much like a sponge holds water: mostly capillary action and surface tension, I think. Squeeze away. If you notice that the core lather feels different than the surface lather — thicker or wetter — that may mean you should mix a bit longer.

The more internal surface area a brush has, the more lather it can hold. Gents sometimes decide a brush is a "lather hog", but that simply means it has a large internal surface area.
+1

You know...because....Physics and stuff.

For me, it varies significantly according to the brush. My boar yields up all it's got to the tips. I had a WD silvertip which had a pronounced knot of lather which was hard to squeeze down to the tips. My current silvertip demonstrates excellent flow-through.

I agree that it varies by the brush. I happen to have the Tweezerman badger brush (used it an hour ago) and I find with that brush lather tends to work it's way down into the knot more than others. So it's normal for that brush..I just squeeze it up to the top a little if needed.

Agree. I brush apply the 1st pass and frequently hand apply the 2nd pass, so I can feel the results of the first pass. I simply squeeze the brush for this. This allows me to keep a 3rd pass to a minimum. If the blade is cooperative, I'm only doing light (touchup) work on that 3rd pass.

The good news is often that lather that travels up the bristles into the knot is some of the slickest. best lather of the shave. I always squeeze it out for the final pass or just for touch ups.

Top Bottom