What's new

No Re-lights! Wooo Hooo! Carter Hall is my new best friend!

It is possible! I did it! The elusive, No Re-lights To The Bottom of the Bowl smoke has been obtained by yours truly! This was pretty exciting news (for me at least), so I had to share. :w00t:

I acquired some Carter Hall and this was my first bowl of it, so maybe this had something to do with hitting this landmark. It was already fairly dry feeling, so I did not leave it out to dry any more. I took it right from the bag and packed it as I usually do into my cob, then gave it a pretty good charring light then sat back to relax... tamped occasionally and That's it! What a great smoke!

Quick review on Carter hall: This is a Burley / Virginia blend that is not a flavored Aromatic. Out of the pouch I could smell the usual plum/raisin odor, but it was much milder than some other blends I have tried. I quite liked it. The tobacco is cross cut, so it packed really easily. I have gotten better with the charring light and ensured that the whole top layer is charred well before I lightly tamp and re-light. From then to the end of the bowl, the flavor was fairly consistent. This is the first time I have had the taste stay almost the same from start to finish. I feel that this is at least partly due to not having the pipe going out and needing to be lit again, but if could be one of the properties of this tobacco as well. The taste was on the mild side, where i could definitely taste the tobacco with no discernible chemical taste like I have had on an aromatic or two I have tried. There was a little sweetness with a touch of hazelnut and a hint of coffee/cocoa to it. I am still new at this and trying different blends, but I really enjoyed it, and the fact that the flavor did not vary much throughout the bowl was just fine with me! I think the room note was pleasant, but tough to tell for sure while smoking it.
There are a few blends that I enjoy the flavor a little more, as they may be more complex, so for taste, this is not right at the top but still at the upper end of the scale for me. Maybe a 7/10. This may change over time, or even at my next bowl of it, but for now I really enjoyed it...
If you have not tried Carter hall, I recommend it. I know it has been a OTC blend that is often recommended here, and so I have to concur. Especially for a newbie, IMHO!

Cheers,

Congrats, that does take some technique and finesse to do. I will also add, don't put too much into worrying about relights or such. They are part and parcel of pipe smoking. It's very rare I don't have to relight at least twice per average bowl.

On the Carter Hall, it's one of the very few non-aro and not latakia blends I like to smoke once in a while. It actually, for me, smokes really great in a cob, and it does burn easy and well to the bottom more so than a lot of other blends. I often pick up a sort of wine or sherry note from carter hall in the cob.

I don't mind relighting either. I usually end up taking the lighter to it 4 or 5 times during a bowl, but this is a milestone for sure... Might have to stop referring to myself as a newbie now... :tongue_sm

Carter Hall is a good old-time smoke. Nothing fancy, and no tongue bite. It's a good choice for an all day tobacco. I've found CH to be a little wet out of the pouch, so I let it dry a bit, and I still have had more than two relights on a bowl, consistently. You've hit the magic sweet spot!

I have had Carter Hall in my cellar for years now. A great go to tobacco. Although I keep a tub of it and Prince Albert it's a much better smoke IMO.

I have been smoking 3-4 bowls of CH a day for the last few weeks the only relights are when I forget to tamp once in awhile which isn't often.
Been considering purchasing a tub of CH from P&C and noticed the http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/86438/hearth-home-mid-town-chatham-manor/#p-168423 maybe a tub of each.

I saw this ^^ on the cover of my latest Pipes and Cigars catalog. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, how does it compare to Carter Hall?

HUGE fan of Carter Hall here. Wonderful smoke for anytime of the day. I will absolutely be buying tubs of it when I am back in the states.

Congratulations on getting it to the bottom in one light. If you want your 10th degree black belt, get 1792 flake to the bottom in one light ;)

HUGE fan of Carter Hall here. Wonderful smoke for anytime of the day. I will absolutely be buying tubs of it when I am back in the states.

Congratulations on getting it to the bottom in one light. If you want your 10th degree black belt, get 1792 flake to the bottom in one light ;)

Thanks! So, Senshi Sensei? I assume I am being congratulated by a master of the art of Tobacco Pipe?
Am now a Tobacco Pipe Orange belt? How does one prepare for the Black Belt in Pipe Tobacco Smoking? :biggrin1:

Thanks! So, Senshi Sensei? I assume I am being congratulated by a master of the art of Tobacco Pipe?
Am now a Tobacco Pipe Orange belt? How does one prepare for the Black Belt in Pipe Tobacco Smoking? :biggrin1:

Haha I am nowhere near a master of Tobacco Pipe. I get my belts at K-mart :laugh:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your pipe more and more. In the end that's what is most important. I think I'm going to open my pouch of Carter Hall tonight because of this thread!

Yep, Carter Hall is pretty consistent for me too. A decent, predictable smoke, every time. I keep some in my desk at work, along with a MM cob for those days when I feel like a mid-day bowl.

CH was my go to for breaking in new pipes, and for a carry around tobacco. One of the best OTC blends available, every new piper should give it a go, if for nothing else than the forgiveness factor.

I have not found it available as an OTC in Canada though, so it is not as easy for a Newbie to give it a whirl. I will definitely put some more on order from our friends at 4Noggins! They make it easy to ship to Canada and they sell CH in Bulk!

Yep, Carter Hall is pretty consistent for me too. A decent, predictable smoke, every time. I keep some in my desk at work, along with a MM cob for those days when I feel like a mid-day bowl.

CH was my go to for breaking in new pipes, and for a carry around tobacco. One of the best OTC blends available, every new piper should give it a go, if for nothing else than the forgiveness factor.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421196821.642347.jpg

My carry around also!

I have had Carter Hall in my cellar for years now. A great go to tobacco. Although I keep a tub of it and Prince Albert it's a much better smoke IMO.

I saw this ^^ on the cover of my latest Pipes and Cigars catalog. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, how does it compare to Carter Hall?

Just received a tub of Chatham Manor along with 2 tubs of CH, The CM doesn't seem to have as much plum in the tin note, taste is close but seems a little off but this is just the first bowl.

I'm another Carter Hall fan. I too love the way it burns. I emptied my tub into ball jars to cellar it, but I've already been through one of them. Good stuff.

Just received a tub of Chatham Manor along with 2 tubs of CH, The CM doesn't seem to have as much plum in the tin note, taste is close but seems a little off but this is just the first bowl.

I have not heard of Chatham Manor... Is this supposed to be comparabel to Carter Hall, or just a good easy smoke like it?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

1792 on one light? Can't happen.

I have not heard of Chatham Manor... Is this supposed to be comparabel to Carter Hall, or just a good easy smoke like it?

See link at post #5, It is a H&H match from Pipes and Cigars.
About 5 bowls now and I find it more chocolaty and less nutty perhaps like a cross between PA and CH its close for my unrefined palate.

Top Bottom