What's new

Worst Feathering most smearing ink

I am looking for the worst feathering, slowest drying, and water soluble ink. I know feathering depends a lot on paper but I know there have to be some inks that feather no matter what you put them on. I am also looking for slow drying and it needs to be water soluble. I use Private reserve fast dry inks and that is all I have on hand. They do not meet my needs.

I need a range of colors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

none of my inks feather really no matter how long they take to dry. of you want to cause it to happen on purpose though that's simple enough... i once was doing a cool letter for a pelikan pass around when oil from my hands got on the paper and it feathered out my ink like nobodies business... if you have a very light later of oil on top of the page, that will prevent the ink from absorbing and have the ink run around, although I've never done this on purpose so it may take some playing to get what you want

you can see a pic of what happened herenone of my inks feather really no matter how long they take to dry. of you want to cause it to happen on purpose though that's simple enough... i once was doing a cool letter for a pelikan pass around when oil from my hands got on the paper and it feathered out my ink like nobodies business... if you have a very light later of oil on top of the page, that will prevent the ink from absorbing and have the ink run around, although I've never done this on purpose so it may take some playing to get what you want

you can see a pic of what happened here
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/357763-Pelikan-Wanderlust?p=5534650#post5534650
post 166

Last edited:
Here is why I need it

I teach very low readers at the middle school level. Needless to say I don't have the most motivated of students. One of the big areas of concern is the need understand and follow instructions as they are given, and I need to do this in an engaging manner. In order to accomplish this I progress form puzzles to small multi step artworks. Due to the nature of the dictated curriculum any activity has to fit within a small amount of time and each step must be readily noticeable for grading. Several of my students have been with me for more than one year so they have done the projects I have. I am looking for something new. I stumbled on http://www.dailymonster.com/ and thought I could do something like like this.

If the kids did this with varying requirements such as ink manipulation it would accomplish what I needed it to do. A slow drying ink would be perfect and feathering would add to the effect. I tried some Speedball ink last night and remembered why I don't like it. Too many granules and that affected manipulation.

Noodlers Blue Nose Bear and Rome is Burning are designed to intentionally feather. I don't know about the dry times and smearing though. Usually, in my experience, Noodlers and Private Reserve inks start to smear (well, PR inks smear no matter what you do) once you leave them in a pen without use for about a week or more. The ink sits in there and gets all concentrated...Noodlers Navy will smear worse than an old Bic ballpoint with a piece of lint on the tip if you leave it alone in the pen for awhile.

Dry times? Well that just depends on the paper and the nib you use. Get yourself some Tomoe River paper...use just about any ink on that stuff and your dry times are doubled.

Thanks Kevan. I really need slow drying time now. Apparently the kids are not allowed to use canned air, even with adult supervision. I have to go back to planning on them using straws or just their mouth's to blow the ink.

Interesting that you have had smearing issues with Private reserve. I guess my pen, being in my bag all the time keeps it shaken up. I have never had a smear issue with PR fast dry.

Top Bottom