What's new

Do I need a Brown Leaf sabbatical?

Yes. Yes, I do. Thirty-odd pipes and fifteen years' worth of tobacco... I'm good. My bank account would appreciate a little breather. Now, I bring this up here not with the intent of starting some big sabbatical movement or convincing anyone else they should do the same - no, I bring it up here because I want it documented, so I have some sort of accountability. You heard it here first:

I will not buy any pipes, tobacco, or pipe accoutrements during 2015.

Now, I do have one very nice pipe en route to me, but that was purchased with store credit at SP, so I did not actually spend any money on it. I will allow myself one caveat - the 2015 B&B LE pipe - but otherwise I'm out.

Pray for me. :a20:

Last edited:
I have read your sabbatical decision, wish you well and respect your decision. Now....if you'd like to sell a pipe or two, feel free to message me :)

I wish you luck.

I still need to ensure a lifetime supply of a few blends before I'm willing to commit to a sabbatical. :lol:

Good luck and I can easily relate to the desire and need. I have close to as many pipes, but no where near that stash of leaf. I plan on going through my pipes soon and finding a nice productive way to reduce the ones I never use, then pick up a couple new ones. lol

Good luck and I can easily relate to the desire and need. I have close to as many pipes, but no where near that stash of leaf. I plan on going through my pipes soon and finding a nice productive way to reduce the ones I never use, then pick up a couple new ones. lol

That's basically what I did. I picked out several pipes that I simply wasn't smoking, and packaged them off to smokingpipes. They gave me a decent amount of store credit for them, which I used to get two considerably nicer pipes.

That's basically what I did. I picked out several pipes that I simply wasn't smoking, and packaged them off to smokingpipes. They gave me a decent amount of store credit for them, which I used to get two considerably nicer pipes.

The ones I'd be cutting out won't even fetch enough to make them worth shipping to those guys, but good to know that if I do decide to let go of any of the better known brands and such, they do that.

Didn't even know they did that...hmmm.

I ought to join the sabbatical bandwagon, but I won't. By my math I have 10 years worth of tobacco. I think I have 21 briars, a mini-meer, and tons of cobs/MM Ozark hardwoods. I'm a little short on Czech tools/pipe tools unless I find the two that I lost in my living room (probably under the couch/buried in the cushions or cracks/buried in the box of pipe accessories) but that's no big deal, I can use roofing nails if I need to.

But anyway, sabbatical is unlikely, I'll continue my irresponsible spending.

You know this place is going to crap, when the sabbaticals have migrated from the shaving side. First the NIB and now here? :tongue_sm

You know this place is going to crap, when the sabbaticals have migrated from the shaving side. First the NIB and now here? :tongue_sm

I technically did a Nib sabbatical last year. It doesn't count if someone else gets you a pen, right? The only fountain pens I got this past year were both gifts at X-Mas time (Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night & Lamy 2000). No new inks either... as I have enough ink to last a lifetime.

I'm starting this year off on the right foot though... since I'll be going to the Philly Pen Show with my father next weekend.

Not to worry, any semblance of a group sabbatical in the BL will be uncerimoniously flung into the wood chipper. Price has certainly earned his mental breakdown, so we should respect his illness and let him huddle in the corner to peak longingly at the items we purchase and post. However, if it seems to become contagious, we may have to give him the salt/Everclear treatment.:001_smile

Color me jealous. Have a great time at the pen show Jason :thumbup:

I'll probably get a pen or two.

My pops? I'm morbidly curious what he'll wind up with. My dad has an ungodly number of pens... easily in the 3 digits. I think he just hunts down rare and unusual pens at this point. When I went to the Baltimore Pen Show with him two years ago, he bought (amongst other things) a $500 Abraham Lincoln fountain pen from a guy who was doing a limited edition series of all of the presidents. So, I kind of have to see what he does this time around. :lol:

What about for aging ?? I don't think buying tobacco to be smoked later should count ?? (Just trying to give you an out ; )

Oh, I did that already this year. And last year. And the year before.

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Price

Not to worry, any semblance of a group sabbatical in the BL will be uncerimoniously flung into the wood chipper. Price has certainly earned his mental breakdown, so we should respect his illness and let him huddle in the corner to peak longingly at the items we purchase and post. However, if it seems to become contagious, we may have to give him the salt/Everclear treatment.:001_smile

I specifically am not seeking to incite any such lunacy as a group sabbatical. In fact, I hope everyone continues to post pictures of acquisitions, so that I can vicariously enjoy them. This is simply a temporary (365 day) pause in my ridiculous hoarding of pipe stuff, just to prove to myself that I am master of my domain.

Shaving purchase sabbatical; sure, that made sense to me and I have participated twice (successfully once).

But a Brown Leaf sabbatical; I respect your personal commitment and objectives and wish you success one your journey.....alone. The season for outdoor smoking is so brief that even my modest cellar is enough to last years, but I still feel the need to lay in a few more tobaccos to round out my smoke dance of card.

As for pipes, I have a couple that I have settled in with and the rest have fallen out of the rotation. I have considered the Smoking Pipes exchange, but I really want a Baki meerschaum and that isn't something that shows up on that site too often. I kid myself that will cure my PAD

$HominaI.jpg

Honestly it sounds like a great idea. I'm pretty good on pipes with the exception of a meer or two but I know that once I'm back in the states I will want to start building a cellar.

I support you Price

Top Bottom