What's new

Ordered my first pair of AE Park Avenues

in bourbon calf that is currently on sale. Along with the shoes, I also got the shoe trees and polish in the same color. This will be my first pair above the typical department store $50-100 shoe, so it took a little bit of an adjustment to paying 3-4 times the amount, but I realize that they'll last longer if maintained and I should come out ahead in not only money, but comfort. With that said, what else would I need to get to help maintain the shoes? I saw they also sell their conditioner/cleaner, but I know many also recommend sapphire products.

my left foot measures a 12 D with my right an 11 E, so I ordered a 12 E. Didn't have the shoe in stock, so it will take the "4 weeks" to arrive. Since I don't have a retail store close to me, I figured I'd take a shot on the size considering the free return policy (just may need to wait longer of course).

my left foot measures a 12 D with my right an 11 E, so I ordered a 12 E. Didn't have the shoe in stock, so it will take the "4 weeks" to arrive. Since I don't have a retail store close to me, I figured I'd take a shot on the size considering the free return policy (just may need to wait longer of course).
In the past, I've ordered two sizes of AE shoes, so I knew (with pretty good certainty) that'd I have a pair that fits. Then, I returned the other pair for a refund.

FWIW, there are some AE models...I believe the Park Avenue is included...that can be ordered in custom pairs with different right and left sizes. This costs more, of course.

Ok, ordered the conditioner and their shoe shine kit (2 brushes, 2 daubers, 2 cloths, and 2 polishes). Will get a shoehorn locally.

Now comes the hard part, waiting for them to arrive. However, if the other things come earlier, I'll hone up my polishing skills with my old pairs of shoes.

I'm jealous. I'm not ready to break into the AE price point yet. I usually run around $120 to $150. I read somewhere that you should try to buy a nice pair once a year to build a collection of nice shoes. In the long run, $300 a year breaks down to less than $25 a month. But I can't make myself pull the trigger on that one yet.

I'll do my best to update when they arrive, but may have my hands full. With our second child (a girl) due any day now, my two year old son, and additional responsibility at work on the horizon, it may be difficult to update right away. However, I will update as soon as I get a chance with pictures.

Very glad I did order though, as my current brown shoes started to allow some water in this morning walking in some small puddles.

in bourbon calf that is currently on sale. Along with the shoes, I also got the shoe trees and polish in the same color. This will be my first pair above the typical department store $50-100 shoe, so it took a little bit of an adjustment to paying 3-4 times the amount, but I realize that they'll last longer if maintained and I should come out ahead in not only money, but comfort. With that said, what else would I need to get to help maintain the shoes? I saw they also sell their conditioner/cleaner, but I know many also recommend sapphire products.

I hope your new shoes are a good fit. I might have advised you to order an 11.5 E, but that is only based on my foot which of course is different than yours. I base that comment on my experience with the 65 last, where I can go down 1/2 size if I increase the width from D to E....the shoe feels almost the same in the toe box, while I see a slightly bigger difference in the heel but it is still acceptable.

I'll do my best to update when they arrive, but may have my hands full. With our second child (a girl) due any day now, my two year old son, and additional responsibility at work on the horizon, it may be difficult to update right away. However, I will update as soon as I get a chance with pictures.

Very glad I did order though, as my current brown shoes started to allow some water in this morning walking in some small puddles.

I grabbed a pair of Swims on sale at Brooks Brothers that I wear over my shoes whenever there is weather. Keeps the water, salt, etc. off the shoe. Not clunky like the rubber overshoe you might remember your grandpa wearing.

Put a sole saver on the sole as that will keep the leather from wearing. I have their shoes that are over 30+ years that have never been recrafted. May I also recommend Lincoln shoe polish.

Valentine's Day off to a great start! Even though the wife is at my in-laws with the kids, V-day has been good to me so far.

- first good night's sleep in several weeks
- made chili overnight and enjoying along with bourbon and Sierra Nevada's Hoppy Lager
- watching Game of Thrones after finally reading the books this past fall
- FedEx brought my first pair of AEs
- gave a quick polish to my black derbys
- wife sent a sweet pic of the kids taking a nap

$20150214_113508_resized.jpg$20150214_113615_resized.jpg$20150214_113648_resized.jpg$20150214_113712_resized.jpg$20150214_113810_resized.jpg

I'm jealous. I'm not ready to break into the AE price point yet. I usually run around $120 to $150. I read somewhere that you should try to buy a nice pair once a year to build a collection of nice shoes. In the long run, $300 a year breaks down to less than $25 a month. But I can't make myself pull the trigger on that one yet.

You are a man after my own heart. Try this out.

Check Jos A Bank daily. Awhile back they ran AE shoes at a price that combined with the 20% off they were offering with all orders over $100 put them @ $207 a pair. Still $57 more than you're now paying, but something we can justify.

Best of luck, Ron I

I have a pair of black Fifth Avenues, a pair of black Park Avenues and a brown pair of Franciscans. They are nice shoes for sure. The peculiarity of my gate chews up the heels pretty bad though. Two of my pair just came back from recrafting yesterday.

You'll enjoy the Park Ave's-I got the same Bourbon color too!. Bought 2 pairs of AE today-Norwich monk and Black Hills blucher for weekend wear

Top Bottom