What's new

New to straight razor shaving and restoration.

this is my 2nd razor my first being a GD 208 reshaped to balance out the heal and repined to make sure the scales stay on and the bevel was set but not honed. all i needed to do was run it over my 4/8 then finish on a green pasted stropping block then on my plane leather. After 6 shaves I am getting the hang of it only 3 nicks and no big bleeding on my face :blush:.

Now I have this Quaker City Cutlery from eBay on the way. from the images I have seen of it looks to be a fairly simple restore.
Clean it.
Polish it.
Sharpen it
hone and strop.
Any gotchas that i might run into that are any different then doing similar work on folding knives and daggers?
$Quaker1.jpg

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome to B&B! Go to the "General Straight Razor Talk" forum; There's several subforums that cover your questions.

Any gotchas that i might run into that are any different then doing similar work on folding knives and daggers?

You want to be careful if you use an electric buffer or Dremel for polishing, that you don't heat up the blade. Its easy to ruin the temper. Be sure to post pics of the finished razors. Welcome to the forums and good luck with your restores.

Turns out that the scales where off gassing and had to be discarded. But the blade cleaned up nice and I was able to get it shave ready. Honing was a bit of a pain due to a slight bend and some uneven wear on the shoulders. I am building new scales. I might give straiting the spine a go but only if i can not center them in the new scales.$IMG_20150120_181246.jpg

My thrird blade a Simmons superior had a large amount of live rust on it when I got it but the price and the edge was right. $IMG_20150120_181547.jpg
Re moved the rust simply withstand paper. Carfulely avoiding the engraving until I was using 1000 and over paper. Shaves wonderfully tempted to replace the celluloid scales as they are cracked on one side but and I fear cell rot could start at any time.

Top Bottom