What's new

Mongoose Razor Tour/Pass Around

razor? what razor?????? lol sorry i forgot to post that it is with me, and I told it just today that its time with me is about up and he had to go to see the good dr and it begged me not to send it to him, i will have to wait until its asleep and wrap him up nicely and ship him.

Mongoose delivered today.

First impressions:

Wow, I'm taken a back by just how big this head really is! It's big, blocky and heavy.

First shave:

I felt the balance was off with the bulldog handle so tried both my MR7 and Weber Classic and settled on the Classic.

First pass was WTG and not close at all. I thought the head angle was very easy to find, thought I had it, but guess not.

I'll give it another try tomorrow or Sunday then send it on down the line.

Had another shave with the Goose. I still find the head to be too heavy and very awkward to maneuver. I'm not sure if this is the Cobra killer it's name implies, but it's definitely not a DE killer for me. Thank you very much for letting me be a part of this. The Goose will be heading on down the line tomorrow or Wednesday.

First Impression: This is one big razor.. Definitely the largest modern or vintage razor that I have ever used and it is also the heaviest. I found it easy to load and the blade gap looked deceivingly large.

First Shave: Very mild almost comparable to a Gillette Super-Speed. I found it difficult to maneuver around the nose and I have a dimple on my chin that is always difficult to get a close shave. I found that after a 3 shave pass I still had several places that needed touch-up.

A couple more shaves and it is one the way..

Hello jzuzphreek -- would you like to swap positions on the tour with me and move up, please?
As it develops, I'm going to be out of town for a few days.

Thanks. I'll also send you a PM.

Just spoke with Rory in PM, I'm willing to flip with him if that's ok with the rest of ya'll. I must not have subscribed to this thread (which I usually do) when I first sign up, so I offer my apologies for my absence.

List updated. If you are interested in adding your name, please see post #20 for the rules/requirements and then reach out via PM if you qualify. Shave on.... :001_smile

Mongoose Tour List
Mojo88 (shaving)
jzuzphreek
Rory1262
mrlandpirate
DaltonGang
prairie-dad
tclobaugh
Jcan88
lucio65
Haggises

Last edited:
I'll be away from home from Sunday, April 5 through Friday, April 9.
In view of this, I think it makes sense for me to drop down another rung, and for mrlandpirate to move up if it suits him.

Thank you.

List updated. If you are interested in adding your name, please see post #20 for the rules/requirements and then reach out via PM if you qualify.

Mongoose Tour List
Mojo88 (shaving)
jzuzphreek
mrlandpirate
Rory1262
DaltonGang
prairie-dad
tclobaugh
Jcan88
lucio65
Haggises
ShaverGN

Last edited:
I have received shipping info and the Goose and it's on the way to Jessy...

Overall though is that I am very appreciative to have tried the Goose and. I just could not get past the sheer size and bulkiness of the head. Having said that I found it to be very mild, almost too mild in comparison to the Cobra that I own. I tried several blade combinations and even with feather blades I still felt considerable stubble. Again thanks to Michael for his incredibly generous offer to give the Goose a shot.

I own one and found it to be a bit too mild also. My solution was to create a shim for it by grinding down a used blade with a Dremel. With the shim in place it really ramps up the aggressiveness. I know that you shouldn't have to shim an all stainless steel $150 razor but it works better for me this way and makes it much closer in aggressiveness to what I expected it to be out of the box. I'm considering carefully taking a Dremel with a very precise blade to the pins on mine so that it can utilize the Dorko blades as well.

With Michael's approval I can send a shim for addition to the passaround box if anyone is interested in trying it.

Top Bottom