What's new

Has anyone else tried The Art of Shaving

I just bought the sandalwood cream and I must say it's very nice. I don't see many posts about this brand. Any reason?

Their NOS tallow soap is amazing. But I hear less good things about the current line, but I've never tried them. I do like their stores only because they carry Pennhaligon scents.

I just bought the sandalwood cream and I must say it's very nice. I don't see many posts about this brand. Any reason?

You must be extremely NEW to B&B, with that I say welcome! and to answer your question, Thousands of us here have either used, or began our wet shaving journey's with Art of Shaving. The main cause as to why you think a lot of us don't mention their brand is because they are mainly over priced and not highly sought after. Their sandalwood cream, while it is enjoyed by many of us users here, Is not by any account the best or one of the best out there. A lot of their products are either, not that good or completely useless IMO. The products they do have that are great (razors mainly) are overpriced there. Art of shaving is a beginners first stop, and should remain the first and only. Once you step up, learn more, you will find glorious other products at better quality and at far better costs... If you're a cartridge shaver and are accustomed to just shaving for the sake of shaving and not into the craft or learning beyond what is the normal, then art of shaving is fine! If you're a wet shaver and are serious about mastering the craft and learning/trying products out in the world that will just make shaving a great experience rather than a chore, then art of shaving should be useless to you! I apologize if my response sounds in anyway biased, or offensive, i assure you its not. I'm just stating reality as far as it goes IMO. Some may disagree, and some may agree, but this is the best detailed answer I could give you as to why many of us tend to not really praise art of shaving.

Last edited:
Also just an FYI, theres been tons of posts regarding Art of shaving and/or their products, You just have to search the threads! You'll find many great threads here filled with posts from some of the most knowledgeable men ever here on B&B!

I think I got a sample once, but was too expensive to justify buying more. It wasn't any better than TOBS so I didn't bother buying more at that cost.

Also just an FYI, theres been tons of posts regarding Art of shaving and/or their products, You just have to search the threads! You'll find many great threads here filled with posts from some of the most knowledgeable men ever here on B&B!
Way to go, AtreyuOcampo! :thumbup1:

It is good stuff.

+1. My girlfriend bought me the large kit for Christmas 2013 in sandalwood. I think the scent is lacking but she likes it so who am I to argue? I chose the pure badger brush to go along with the kit and I rotate around to all the products every few weeks.

I would encourage you to try their products (they offer samples) and formulate YOUR OWN OPINION regarding The Art of Shaving. I've found that here on the forums, The Art of Shaving is giving far too much of a bad rap. I would also STRONGLY DISAGREE that The Art of Shaving is a beginners first stop. I have and will continue to have their products in my rotation along with my Truefitt & Hill, Proraso, Razorock, TOBS, Acqua di Parma, Martin de Candri, Trumpers, Penhaligons, Castle Forbes, and the list goes on and on.

Their price points are their price points. Ever priced a retail space at a high end mall lately? And in many cases, their software products are not as expensive as some of the products I've named above and as everyone on here leads one to believe. It's all relative. Good luck on your journey.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I got a free sample when they started to carry it at my barbershop. It seemed like nice stuff. I didn't buy any so I guess it wasn't nicer than what I'm using, but I had a couple nice shaves with it - so I have nothing negative to say.

You must be extremely NEW to B&B, with that I say welcome! and to answer your question, Thousands of us here have either used, or began our wet shaving journey's with Art of Shaving. The main cause as to why you think a lot of us don't mention their brand is because they are mainly over priced and not highly sought after. Their sandalwood cream, while it is enjoyed by many of us users here, Is not by any account the best or one of the best out there. A lot of their products are either, not that good or completely useless IMO. The products they do have that are great (razors mainly) are overpriced there. Art of shaving is a beginners first stop, and should remain the first and only. Once you step up, learn more, you will find glorious other products at better quality and at far better costs... If you're a cartridge shaver and are accustomed to just shaving for the sake of shaving and not into the craft or learning beyond what is the normal, then art of shaving is fine! If you're a wet shaver and are serious about mastering the craft and learning/trying products out in the world that will just make shaving a great experience rather than a chore, then art of shaving should be useless to you! I apologize if my response sounds in anyway biased, or offensive, i assure you its not. I'm just stating reality as far as it goes IMO. Some may disagree, and some may agree, but this is the best detailed answer I could give you as to why many of us tend to not really praise art of shaving.

+1

wow, that's the longest, most detailed, statement of personal opinion and experience I've ever seen here about which I could really just say " +1." Except my AoS cream was almond. I had upgraded to eShave not long before getting seriously into DE. And that led to upgrading my 30 year old AoS badger with a nice Parker silvertip. AoS is definitely for wet shave novices, but at least it's wet shaving

Last edited:
+1. Well stated. I have been a traditional wet shaver for 7 years now and still buy the occasional AOS cream. It's is good quality. Although I am disappointed with the reformulated shaving soap.

I would encourage you to try their products (they offer samples) and formulate YOUR OWN OPINION regarding The Art of Shaving. I've found that here on the forums, The Art of Shaving is giving far too much of a bad rap. I would also STRONGLY DISAGREE that The Art of Shaving is a beginners first stop. I have and will continue to have their products in my rotation along with my Truefitt & Hill, Proraso, Razorock, TOBS, Acqua di Parma, Martin de Candri, Trumpers, Penhaligons, Castle Forbes, and the list goes on and on.

Their price points are their price points. Ever priced a retail space at a high end mall lately? And in many cases, their software products are not as expensive as some of the products I've named above and as everyone on here leads one to believe. It's all relative. Good luck on your journey.

I would encourage you to try their products (they offer samples) and formulate YOUR OWN OPINION regarding The Art of Shaving. I've found that here on the forums, The Art of Shaving is giving far too much of a bad rap.

+1.

I have AoS sandalwood soap and sandalwood cream. I find the soap to be a top shelf performer. And the scent of the sandalwood cream is, IMHO, divine.
Most agree that the price is higher than we think it should be. Note that, for many the convenience factor is pretty high. And, if you can score a 20% off coupon, the prices become nearly resonable.

got a Fabulous shave today from Art of Shaving sandalwood cream.
One of my all time favorites.

$art of shaving sandalwood dr harris omega hart steel january 10 2015.jpg

I like the AOS sandlewood. I also have Proraso Sandlewood, and I like the AOS better.
I especially like the sandlewood pre-shave oil. My favorite pre-shave oil.
Because they have stores all over, it's the way many of us get introduced to wet shaving.
For many of us, exploring the different scents and exact formulations that work for each of us is part of the journey.

I would encourage you to try their products (they offer samples) and formulate YOUR OWN OPINION regarding The Art of Shaving......I would also STRONGLY DISAGREE that The Art of Shaving is a beginners first stop. I have and will continue to have their products in my rotation.......

I also agree with this. I will always have a tub of their Sandalwood cream in my den (and I'm a 99% soap user) because I like it so much. It's a solid performer, and the scent is fantastic (to me).

As a few have already said here,a lot of us have tried them. But IMO,they are way overpriced !! I tried their Lemon cream and for what they are asking you can buy a far superior cream such as the superb Castle Forbes (Lime or lavender) Really,there is no comparison. Save your $

Craig

Love the smell of the AoS Sandalwood, but my face doesnt like it. :(

Also love the Ocean Kelp, which my face is happy with, though it's not in my main rotation.

But one thing to consider about AoS creams is that, in my experience anyway, they tend to be VERY thirsty. Unless you really slick them up, you'll see little dry puffs of white start floating off of your face.

Top Bottom