What's new

The Palmer Method of Business Writing

I decided to give the Palmer Method of Business Writing linked in the wiki as a means to improve my penmanship, and even though I haven't had much time to practice the drills, just using the basic posture and technique made an immediate improvement in the fluidity and legibility of my handwriting. I never would have thought that using one's arm rather than wrist to drive the pen would make such an improvement. I guess it's like DE shaving. The wrist results in bad technique while using the arm and keeping the wrist straight yields the best results. Is anyone else using this method?

I've noticed the way he want's you to make the lower case "r" is a bit odd. I'm not sure if I'll try to incorporate that style of "r" into my writing or just leave my "r" the way it is.

I don't have a fountain pen yet, but have a Platinum Preppy and a Lamy Safari on the way from Goulet pens so I've been trying to practice that method of writing. Only been at it for a couple of days or so but so far I'm finding it hugely awkward to use my whole arm. Also turns out my grip is totally wrong also as I use my index and middle finger over the top with the pen resting on my ring finger.
Maybe that combined with my writing being not much more than a scrawl and I'm fighting an uphill battle. Hope it gets easier!

I should clarify I suppose - I looked at the Palmer page linked in the wiki but really have been practicing as on this page which seems like it's a simplified Palmer method. I've been practicing today and still find it frustrating but I guess I shouldn't bee too hard on myself since I'm trying to reverse 40+ years of bad habits.

More detailed instruction on technique and posture. It also has lots of exercises.

I should clarify I suppose - I looked at the Palmer page linked in the wiki but really have been practicing as on this page which seems like it's a simplified Palmer method. I've been practicing today and still find it frustrating but I guess I shouldn't bee too hard on myself since I'm trying to reverse 40+ years of bad habits.

The more you practice the better you'll get. You'll hit peaks and valleys, but you'll improve. If you're on a shaving purchase sabbatical you're probably a shaving pro bowl veteran. When guys like you, tell shave newbs like me to get a 100 shaves under our belts; it's the same thing. Practice practise

Thank you for the encouragement. Good point about likening it to shaving - my first shaves were pretty rough also but now I'm DFS+ everyday. So there's hope for me yet. Here's today's practice sheet on cheap laser/ink jet printer paper. Believe it or not, this is an improvement over my first tries.

$IMG_3417 (Medium).jpg

Sorry for the sideways post - don't strain your neck trying to read it!

I'm just using the online version linked from the Nib Wiki. It seems like there is probably more lessons than what is on the website. Still, that should get me a ways to nicer handwriting.

I don't know about a web version, but if I knew what gregoe knows I wouldn't have paid 10 bucks. It's like reading a book on your kindle.

Taylor, sorry for being snarky - it's a pain when you feel like you overpaid for anything, and I shouldn't have made fun.

Silver lining: Is it possible that the investment will help inspire you to give it a shot, perhaps?

Top Bottom