What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions - 2015

Happy Father's Day Dads!

My boys gave me an Italian wine bottle corker! :thumbup:

$corker and boys 2.jpg

Tom

Wine has been such fun I'm moving on to beer. Scored this very slightly used 10-gallon Polar Ware set with a couple of fermenters and a carboy.

$brew pots.JPG

Tom

My Haul from the Summer Trip to KY (I went a little nuts)
Maker's Cask Strength
OGD 114
OGD Bonded
Old Forester 1870 Original Batch
Old Forester1897 BIB

I Almost pulled the trigger on a Weller Special Reserve 1.75 (the only Weller I saw the entire two weeks here) but decided against it. If it'd been 12 year or maybe even the antique I might have...

Woohoo! I got my B&B acquisitions threads trifecta!

$20150729_134931.jpg

Dan Murphy's (Aussie warehouse retailer) had a 4 hour online sale last week and I had a bunch of store cards to spend so these two cask strength monsters arrived this morning.

Woohoo! I got my B&B acquisitions threads trifecta!

Dan Murphy's (Aussie warehouse retailer) had a 4 hour online sale last week and I had a bunch of store cards to spend so these two cask strength monsters arrived this morning.

Very nice! I need me some Talisker in my life again :drool:

I picked up a Tidioute Beer Scout Knife. It's carbon steel, so it's started to develop a patina with use. Not sure if this belongs here or in the Great Outdoors, but I do enjoy drinking beer outside...

$BSK.jpg

Very cool. I grew up near Tidioute, but I had no idea that the knives were in current production. The Ben Hogan and French Kate names are pretty funny--lots of local history there. What do you think of the blade?

I picked up a Tidioute Beer Scout Knife. It's carbon steel, so it's started to develop a patina with use. Not sure if this belongs here or in the Great Outdoors, but I do enjoy drinking beer outside...

View attachment 593626

Last edited:
Very cool. I grew up near Tidioute, but I had no idea that the knives were in current production. The Ben Hogan and French Kate names are pretty funny--lots of local history there. What do you think of the blade?

Great Eastern Cutlery resurrected some old knife brands in 2006, Tidioute among them, and they're doing fantastic work. It's definitely worth buying American when it comes to traditional pocket knives, in my opinion. I have several Case and older US-made Schrade (Walden and Old Timer) knives. This Tidioute is as good or better than any other traditional knife I own. As with all these sorts of knives, they don't arrive very sharp from the factory. That's fine with me, though, since one of my hobbies is sharpening things.

I liked this Beer Scout enough to order a Ben Hogan if that says anything. I just need to make sure I don't end up with GECAD.

-Andy

I don't know what became of my Case or Schrade folders over the years--all I have left now are military style knives. I guess they all cut the same, but there's something cool about an old fashioned pocket knife. I'm very tempted to get one--and I'm more likely to find a use for the options on a Beer Scout than on some high-speed, black-bladed thing. GECAD!

I don't know what became of my Case or Schrade folders over the years--all I have left now are military style knives. I guess they all cut the same, but there's something cool about an old fashioned pocket knife. I'm very tempted to get one--and I'm more likely to find a use for the options on a Beer Scout than on some high-speed, black-bladed thing. GECAD!

A little slip-joint pocket knife is a handy thing, indeed. For daily tasks like opening letter/packages, cutting string, and dismantling fruit, a small pocket knife is just as useful as a big tactical knife, imo.

I'm finding high carbon steel blades to be charming, as well, and not as difficult to take care of as I had thought they'd be. The rule of thumb is just carry the knife, use the blades, wipe them down when finished, and encourage them to develop a patina. The patina protects the steel from rust. You can even force a patina with yellow mustard, lemon juice, or vinegar.

-Andy

Last edited:
Picked up a few nice bottles today.

Got Old Rip Van winkle 10yo and 12yo Lot B
Also picked up my holiday scotch's: Balvenie 17yo Doublewood and Highland Park 18.

This should get me through new years in style. :)

Her are my 2015 additions. Not sure when I can tap all of these, but my friends are sure to help at the holiday party next month.

12 yr. Macallan
18 yr. Macallan
Col. E H Taylor Single Barrel
Ron del Barrilito 3 Star Rum
12 yr. W L Weller (handle)
Stagg Jr. (132 proof)
Elmer T Lee Single Barrel
Col. E H Taylor Small Batch (consumed)
Grand Marnier (also consumed)

$2015-11-17 14.43.29.jpg

The Schultz & Dooley original 1959 steins have been in the family for over 50 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom