What's new

What do you drink while smoking?

Usually a rye or scotch with cigars, lately it's been bourbon because of prices influences. Pipe, usually a root beer or dr pepper

I usually smoke cigars. Tried a pipe for the first time today. Not sure what would be best with it. The smoke may not be able to overcome the whisky. Maybe a beer or coffee would be better. It was a little work just to have a decent smoke though, much less figure out what to drink with it. Ha ha

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just about anything depending on my mood. Coffee, tea, beer, cocktails, etc.

Whatever I can get my hands on! :lol:

Seriously though, I like a good whiskey or whisky in that order. But, I have no pattern. Everything from water (most generally the case), a cold brew or hot things like coffee or tea. It really depends on the time of day and my mood. Kind of like it is with the tobacco that I'm choosing. Anyone ever purposely try to pair? Now there is a thought.

Depends on the time of day, tobacco I'm smoking and my mood. Coffee, water, red wine, hot tea, liqueurs, martini... but no carbonated beverages. They make my tongue feel like it's on fire.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the wooden contraption on the tray in cw_mi's post?

I like a nice bourbon when I'm smoking my MM legend.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the wooden contraption on the tray in cw_mi's post?

I like a nice bourbon when I'm smoking my MM legend.
I might be wrong, but it looks like a piston crankshaft. Albeit a small one.

90% of the time just water, but a good bourbon or whisk(e)y is nice once in a while depending on what I'm smoking

AM cigar, I enjoy with thick black coffee
PM cigar, I enjoy with thick red wine
Afternoon Pipe or cigar, Cool, refreshing, hydrating, Water.

Servus!

It really depends on the time of day/location where I am smoking.

When I am not at home and/or might have to drive, I stick to coffee and soft drinks. When the occasion is right, I enjoy a fine Single Malt - preferably an Islay.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Gents, here's an interesting tidbit I found on the Seattle Pipe Club webpage:

· Always drink while you smoke. This helps cool the mouth, quench the thirst from dry smoke, coat the mouth from hot smoke, and wash away any hot debris. Water, sodas, coffee, tea are fine. Don’t drink anything very hot though.
· However, sorry everyone, do not drink alcohol while you smoke. The combination of alcohol and smoke is not just a linear risk, but exponential. This is a huge mistake most smokers make. The alcohol destroys the flora and protective lining of mucus in the mouth. Then the hot smoke will directly come in contact with the unprotected mouth lining. Drink alcohol only after you smoke.

http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020

Tonight it was Peet's Columbian light roast Luminosa with And so to Bed in my Sav 642. Both were exceptionally smooth.

I no longer imbibe alcohol (let's just say the world is a safer place this way), so when I have a cigar I enjoy a good cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Although I like good bourbons, scotches and nice rums, the drink that seems to go best for me with a really fine cigar is a strong coffee. Other good cigar pairings are Boddington's Cream Ale and other low IBU ales. Beers and ales that are too bitter detract from the subtle nuances of good cigars. It's difficult to taste all the flavors from your cigar with an imperial IPA. The bittering hops overshadow the cigar.
just my 2c!

Top Bottom