What's new

Done with my Stuhrling

It's crap.

I have a skeleton with beautiful scrollwork on the metal, 20-jewel movement, stainless steel case and sapphire glass. It's pretty, though a bit "busy" for my current taste.

A few months after buying it, the watch stopped working. I sent it to Stuhrling and they "fixed" it. I wore it for a few days before I noticed that the day dial wasn't changing. I had picked up another watch in the meantime, so I put the Stuhrling away and figured I would send it off for another round at a later date.

Two days ago, I pulled it out again and wore it. This morning, I dropped it and now the second hand is stuck because the minute hand bent and/or shifted. I realize that dropping a watch is not good...but this is an automatic wind, meant to be shaken, and should be able to stand a little bit of a knock.

Before this, I was planning to have it repaired and then PIF it, but now I'm so disgusted that I think it wouldn't be much of a gift. Argh.

I just got a Stürling and it gains a bit of time, but I like it otherwise Thinking of sending it for adjustment.

That's a complete disappointment. I know how you feel.
Before I knew the first thing about watches, I bought a tonneau-shaped Prague automatic. I loved it. It had a big date and was very good looking. It also stopped working a month or two after I got it.
Stuhrling, like Prague, offers cheap Asian watches masquerading behind a legitimate-sounding name. If you haven't been to Watchuseek, head on over. Plenty of helpful people are happy to offer tons of knowledge. There's even an Affordable Watch sub-forum.
Sorry about the watch. The good news is, there are thousands more to get into!

I just got a Stürling and it gains a bit of time, but I like it otherwise Thinking of sending it for adjustment.

I certainly hope that I'm not raining on your parade. I'm sure you love your new watch and I hope it treats you well. It's altogether possible that I got a lemon, but I'm not so enamored of this watch that I'm willing to play snail-mail tag with the company.

That's a complete disappointment. I know how you feel.
Before I knew the first thing about watches, I bought a tonneau-shaped Prague automatic. I loved it. It had a big date and was very good looking. It also stopped working a month or two after I got it.
Stuhrling, like Prague, offers cheap Asian watches masquerading behind a legitimate-sounding name. If you haven't been to Watchuseek, head on over. Plenty of helpful people are happy to offer tons of knowledge. There's even an Affordable Watch sub-forum.
Sorry about the watch. The good news is, there are thousands more to get into!

Ain't that the truth! Just as I'm now drawn to antique and thrift shops in search of interesting shave gear, I'll start looking for watches - probably a Seiko 5 of some sort. I'll probably even hit some pawn shops as one member mentioned. I'm bound to strike gold (watch) at some point...

Check out Orient when you check out Seiko. It's a personal favorite. The build quality is exceptional, the auto movements are accurate, and they are priced very well. It is one of the oldest and most respected watch brands in Japan.
As an aside, I found an old Zodiac with a very rare Valjoux movement in a pawn shop. The guy at the case told me it needed a battery! They wanted $30, I got it for $25. I flipped it for 30 times that. Yes, go to pawn shops!

It's a shame they are so hit and miss. I almost bought one a time or two, but the polarized Amazon reviews kept me away. They sure are beautiful watches, especially considering the price.

That's too bad. I bought a Sturhling Cuvette Automatic a few years ago and luckily it's still working. I'd heard they were more of a fashion watch, but I liked the look and the price was right. I have a couple of Citizens, Seikos and just snagged an Orient all of which I can tell are of higher quality for not much more money. I had a low cost Rotary automatic die within a few months on me, but they replaced it and it's still working for the past 2 years.

Top Bottom