What's new

Dovo "Special" or Boker "Tree Brand"

Hi Guys-

I am new to Badger and Blade as well as straight razor shaving. Thanks to B&B, I learned lots about DE shaving and have been doing it for a while. A friend recently bought be a razor from Whipped Dog and I have been learning to have with that. I am looking to buy a new razor in the near future. I am caught between the Dovo "Special" 5/8 with the tortoise shell scales or the Boker Tree Brand 5/8 with Micarta scales. From what I have read so far, it sounds like both of these razors are comparable. I enjoy the look of both very much, but I do like the fact that the markings on the blade are stamped on the Boker rather than laser etched on the Dovo. Any thoughts on the quality of both makers overall? Thanks!!

I have them both and I prefer the Boker. With ten Dovos and 6 Bokers, I can tell you that overall, Boker's quality is superior to Dovo. JMHO

I do no have any modern Bokers, but I can say that my new Dovo did have some quality problems. After hanging out here, reading a bunch, and getting close to some razor enthusiasts, I opted for PRC for my modern made razor. You will have to wait a little for it, but starting at $125, it was worth taking a look at them.

Last edited:
I own two new Dovos and two new Bökers. IMHO the Böker razors are far superior to the Dovos in every aspect. What's important though is that, IMO, the Böker razors are better shavers.

I was expecting to get a mix of answers for Dovo and Boker, but after these responses, I think my decision has become more clear. It's looking like the Boker. I appreciate your responses!

first, welcome!!

i have a couple dovo's and one boker edelweiss.
i'd say the boker has a slight 'edge' over the dovos, in general, but very slight.
personally, i've never had a qc problem on a dovo.

either would serve you well, imo.
you might also consider a shavette as a 'gateway' straight razor

$arlington edelweiss kent mar 16 2014-3235.jpg

$trumpers eucris dovo kent floid chanel bleu july 22 2014.jpg

$truefitt and hill limes feather kent may 28 2014.jpg

I was considering a Shavette until I was given a straight razor so I have gone straight to it and have been enjoying this very, very much!

I only have 2 dovos, so small sample set and I can't make comparisons to Bokers.
- 5/8 SS full hollow Olive woo
d
- 5/8 SS half hollow acrylic

For what it's worth, each ha
d ramps on the spine leading up to the shoulder. Width on one a quarter inch out from the shoulder was a little less than 10% wider than at the toe. I only noticed this when I went to hone out an edge I rolled hitting my thumbnail.

The grin
d at the edges of both seems fine. After flattening the spines, new bevels set on wide flat hones only varied in width by at most 30% due to slight waves in the middle of the blades.

Top Bottom