What's new

Straight razor w/ replaceable blades help

But would you recommend one as a starter razor?

I don't see why not. It all depends on what you want. The shave is the same, only the grip is slightly different. Plenty of folks start with a hair shaper, because they are cheaper and more plentiful on the Bay.

How do you like it compared to the other

There's been so much mentioned here, I'm not sure who you're asking or what you're referring to. If you are directly asking in reference to one post in particular, it'd be easier to quote that message first.

There's been so much mentioned here, I'm not sure who you're asking or what you're referring to. If you are directly asking in reference to one post in particular, it'd be easier to quote that message first.
Sorry about that and I know awesome help though

Thanks for the heads up still up in the air on the sextoblade and the feather artist club

Never used a Feather. I hear the blades are uber sharp, but the personna blades are plenty sharp to get the job done.
They will bite you and and you won't even know it if your not careful. But Feathers are $$$.

IMHO

I have been using a Dreadnaught since Christmas and find it to work very well. Its also known as Blue Beard outside of the US.

My second shavette was a Hess Ezy 1010. It is similar to the Weck in that is uses the full size persona blades, but shows only the cutting edge of the blade like the Feather. In addition, it has an adapter that will take the smaller persona injector blade which I had modified to take the Feather blade. This comes in a close second to my Kai kamisori and feels more like a straight.

My second shavette was a Hess Ezy 1010. It is similar to the Weck in that is uses the full size persona blades, but shows only the cutting edge of the blade like the Feather. In addition, it has an adapter that will take the smaller persona injector blade which I had modified to take the Feather blade. This comes in a close second to my Kai kamisori and feels more like a straight.

How do you like your Kai?

How do you like your Kai?

My Kai Captain kamisori is my favorite disposable blade razor and as far as kamisoris go, I like it better than my Korean clones - CJB (Feather RX clone) and Sam Seung (original Feather clone). For the ones that take a Feather type injector blade, it is really the blade that makes the difference and there are several different types from both Feather and Kai ranging from ones with a guard on it to super sharp to super mild.

Oh, sorry, I missed your question...

I like the Weck. It's actually my favorite right now. (Although my Rolls is a close second!) Either way, I get a regular DFS with very little irritation. My daily driver until last week (when I received a straight in a PIF) was a Weck Style "B" seven day set. I've tried a Weck shaper, a Parker SR-1 shavette, a couple of Vantas, a Stainless Steel Sexto "Nurse's" , a regular Sexto, and a Straight. I've only had three shaves from the straight, but I enjoy it. The DE and 1/2DE Shavettes not only feel different on my face, but are very unforgiving. You either get the angle right or it hurts. It's not hard to figure out, and I found the skill readily transfers between the DE shavettes that I tried. The other thing that I found is that the duller blades were better for me. Sharks are my favorite with the Personna and Bolzanos being painfully sharp.

The real advantage to the Sexto is that it is comparable to the straight in terms of the size and the weight. It uses blades which are sold for shapers today including Fromm, and Personna. There are a couple of others that I've not yet tried. My favorite are the original carbon steel Sextoblades and the Wecprep blades which, I think, are stainless. The Personna blades are also stainless and very sharp. The Fromm blades are not as sharp as the Personnas, but they're coated with teflon, which smooths the shave out a bit. I found the coating unnecessary. In fact, I found that I like the OEM blades and the Wecprep best. For whatever reason, I've been treating them like an actual straight in that I strop them before each shave and, lightly, afterwards to dry the edge. I also use a barber's hone about every 5 shaves or when a blade starts to pull. I've got over 20 shaves on one of the OEM blades, and it's still going strong...

I guess that's what I like about the Sextoblade. It's a great shave and I can either reuse the blades or not depending upon the situation. I'm still too new to the world of various non-cart razors to pick a single one, but if I wanted to, the Sexto would easily make the short list.

Best,
Jerry

Top Bottom