What's new

Acne and Double Edged Shaving - Is it safe?

Hello everyone,
Let me apologize up front if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it using the search function.

Anyway, I recently began researching wet shaving a couple weeks ago after my electric shaver sliced up my neck and the acne on my face for the umpteenth time. I said to myself: "I've got to find something better for the sake of my skin", and thus began my education on traditional shaving.

I began to hear wonderful things about double edge razors, classy creams and soaps, lather and a lot of other good stuff.

I would like to take the plunge and invest in a new razor (I was thinking the Merkur HD or the Merkur Futur) and some nice creams, a nice brush and some decent aftershaves, but my problem is that I have acne and I'd say it's about moderate, with pustules; definitely worse than mild.

I'm 23 now, and have had acne since I was 12 and have tried every prescription under the sun (even Accutane, which worked beautifully while I was on it) and am currently on a topical antibiotic. Shaving has always aggravated my acne, and I've always thought that an electric was as good as it was going to get. I eat a healthy diet including plenty of fruit and raw veggies, and exercise regularly so I figure this has to be a genetic problem.

Anyway, my question to the shaving gurus is this: Would it be advisable to start using a double edge razor and all the stuff that goes along with it (creams, brushes etc.) or should I wait until I'm finally clear of this acne garbage before I spend a bunch of money on a whole new shaving system?

Thanks for the help,
P.T. :cool:

I'm the same as you, the allure of exfoliating my skin with old school shaving was a big driving factor when I started buying all the stuff in December. I was on Retin-A micro for 4 years but when I got to college my face started breaking out hardcore. I was put on Accutane and thankfully after 8 months there where great improvements (finished the treatment last July!)

To be honest, I was more driven towards the straight edges but came to my sense and went for the safety razors. The cysts that were on my face when Accutane was in my blood left scars (the pit ones T_T), there has actually been some improvements since shaving so that's a plus! But yeah, going back to what you were saying, I say give it a shot.

First of all welcome to B&B.

As far as your question, I say go for it. If it doesn't work out the stuff won't go bad. You could always sell it if you had to.

Welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

As far as DE shaving with acne, overall if I remember correctly a couple of the things that contribute to worse acne is greasy or oily skin so with that in mind I would think proper face exfoliation with a brush and a non greasy perhaps alcohol based after shave would help keep the skin dry and at the very least clean, it may or may not help your acne improve but it should not make it any worse, as far as the actual shave I doubt it would be much of a problem just avoid anything that may cause blood at least often :biggrin:

Here is my suggestion as I am currently in school to become a dermatologist. Iam also 23 and have had issues just like yours in my life.
1.) Hydrolast soap as a facial wash and as a shave soap. (enchanteonline.com)
*this stuff really has done wonders for my skin, takes a week or two, but its worth it. Its made with olive, palm and coconut oils, and nothing else. It does wonders, trust me.
2.) Hydrolast face tonic in summer sage or frankincense and orange. Spray all over face and then when dripping off your skin apply:
3.) Hydrolast aftershave conditioner in peppermint, peppermint essential oil is great for acne, only use a dab of this all over a wet face. It will help. It is very thick, so just use a dab, and remember, use on wet skin.
4.) weekly mud green french clay mask with a few drops of jojoba oil in it, leave on till dry.

Aside from that, double edge razors will help you out big time in contrast to an electric which is making acne worse. Instead of a Merkur, try ebay for a Gillette Super Speed from the 40's or 50's. Theyll cost you less than the Merkur and theyre much better quality. Go for a super speed instead, you really wont regret it. As for a shave brush, it will help alot since it exfoliates the top layer of skin and helps get new skin to form and heal, but go for something soft like a Rooney silvertip or Shavemac, you can spend undre 75 bucks for a killer brush that youll be able to give your kids if you take care of it. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Hi and a warm welcome to B&B. Many strange and dark arts are to be found here. :smile: Hope you feel at home.

I've just finished reading the book 'Sharp practice' by Anders Larsen. He devotes a few pages to shaving and acne. His main points seem to be:

1. Use a sharp blade - a blunt one may aggravate acne
2. Don't use a multi-blade cartridge
3. Stick with one pass - going with the grain
4. Shave around pimples if possible
5. Pat your skin dry; don't rub
6. Avoid alcohol-based aftershaves.

Hope that helps. And the book's a good read. You can buy it from amazon.uk but I don't believe that it's available through Amazon in the US.

Cheers

Jeremy

I have some acne, and I find that I have to be careful what I use. The DE razor is no worse for skin damage than one of the megabladed wonders - in fact it seems better. Soaps like Mama Bear and others that leave NOTHING on your skin are great. If you like creams I highly recommend Kiss My Face. Stuff with lanolin like Mitchells Wool Fat or Musgo I'd steer well clear of.

I also like Trumpers, since it comes away clean, as does Castle Forbes. I won't use anything after a shave. Keep it simple is the ticket.

On the cheap? Williams is very cheap at $0.99 a puck and works well.

Any more questions please ask. I've been dealing with acne for 40 years.

Thanks for the welcome everyone and for all the advice.

I feel more confident now that a DE is the right way to go. I'll check out a few reviews on razors, creams etc. on here before I place my order for all the stuff.

I must say, I'm kind of excited in trying out this whole wet shaving business now :biggrin:

May I make another suggestion? Try a boar brush. They are stiffer (and a LOT cheaper! Lees Shaving sells a nice one for $17) yet very comfortable and that may help. I can't prove it though! :)

not shaving related: and you prob. have tried it, but i had it bad in my teens (Acne) staying of pork and chocolate seemed to do the trick, or at least help a lot. Pork still gives me an oily skin.

not shaving related: and you prob. have tried it, but i had it bad in my teens (Acne) staying of pork and chocolate seemed to do the trick, or at least help a lot. Pork still gives me an oily skin.

I stay away from junk food, and haven't had pork in years, the acne just loves me too much to leave...I guess I should be flattered :tongue:

I still break out from time to time, and have shaved without a problem. One thing I noticed is that some of what I thought was acne was really bumps and ingrown hairs. Switching to a DE or Straight might relieve some of that.

Other then that just use a good soap and an aftershave that won't clog your pores. Thayers witch hazel and aloe products are good.

I changed up my whole regiment for the morning routine once I started DE.

I use Lush Herbalism 5 days a week and Lush Ocean Salt 2 days a week.
I shave every other or every third day using my Merkur HD with a Feather Blade and Mama bear soap. Follow up the shave with Neutragena Post Shave Balm.

Since I started this regiment about a month ago I have noticed that my skin has cleared up alot and I only get a pimple here or there when I get an ingrown hair.

It did take a week or two before I noticed any difference though.

Top Bottom