What's new

Feedback / drag - I like it, is that weird?

I've come to realize that a quality many seem to praise in pens, I actually dislike. Maybe it's from so many years writing with a pencil, but I actually prefer a pen that requires a bit of effort to move across the page. Some pens which are lauded as having a smooth-as-oil-on-glass writing writing experience just don't work well for me. My writing gets all screwed up, like I'm not used to the pen moving so quickly and it gets ahead of me. Whether fountain pens or ball points or gel pens. For example, the UniBall Signo was supposed to be great, so I bought a pair to try (put it in my stocking for Christmas). I actually prefer my old PaperMate Profile Elite. Anybody else feel that way? Or am I just weird?

Another feedback fan here too :thumbsup:

While I also do enjoy smooth nibs, I prefer to do the majority of my work with nibs that have some feedback.

My two favourite nibs are the Platinum Century 3776 UEF, and a Masuyama needlepoint. Really nice amount of feedback from them.

Best combination (IMO) is one of the above pens, with Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton paper.

I prefer a bit of resistance against my face while lathering with my brushes and not so much with pen to paper. :blush:
I really enjoy the immersion of the nib and paper and following the smooth flowing movement of the ink. I guess I like smooth nibs.

Last edited:
my Dream Touch palladium nib offers the least feedback of my nibs and it took some getting use to, this is one area that gold nibs seem to excel at with how they handle vibration from the nib absorbing a lot of the rough stuff and leaving a pleasant draw. Franklin- Christoph and his HP nibs cone very close though. I like a certain feel to my nibs, and my pilots are so far my favourites

Feedback, yes; scratchy, no! Particularly when writing on a smooth, high-quality paper, I like to be able to feel the nib moving across the page. Otherwise, it's like writing on Teflon! That being said, when scribbling on lousy paper, a super-smooth nib is a good thing.

I'm a bit of a noob with fountain pens, but I have a roller ball that just glides so easily that it's a little difficult to control. It feels like an ice skate out of control. My Lamy and my Sheaffer fountain pens have just enough resistance to be controllable while being very smooth writers.

Very weird, yes. In fact, it's downright disturbing.:001_cool:

De gustibus...
well, whatever works for you. I have yet to find a fountain pen nib that was too smooth for me, although I can imagine one so nearly frictionless as to be out of control. There is a range short of scratchiness where a little feedback doesn't bother me, and it may also vary with the paper I'm using. Some pens get a little rougher when I move out of the sweet spot. Up to a point, this isn't a problem, but I wouldn't call it actually desirable. The smoothness of fountain pens compared to ballpoints is one of the reasons I prefer them.

As Foyle mentions above, I've had issues with rollerballs being too smooth, but that's a little different. It only happens on some higher quality glossy papers, and it's associated with the pen skipping. I think this happens because the paper is so slick that the ball can't get the traction it needs to keep turning. That's not an issue with fountain pens on the same paper, and it's not a problem with the rollerballs on less smooth paper.

Ultimately, though, anything that feels right to you and keeps you writing can't be all bad.:thumbup1:

I also like (smooth) resistance to help maintain control. I guess that's why I also like writing with pencil and felt tip pens and dislike roller balls with liquid and gel inks.

Top Bottom