What's new

Blind straight razor shaver from Washington State!

Hi! I’ve been reading various B&B threads and articles for about two years now and am finally joining as a participant. I am totally blind from berth, but have been straight-razor shaving cut-free for about 2 months now (8 if you count practice with a shavette.) I don’t usually brag about these things, but now I can truly say that you don’t have to see to handle a straight razor. (If those guys in the middle school locker room who told me I would have to have someone help me shave with a cartridge for the rest of my life could see me now!) For people who are curious about DE versus straight razors as I was, I’ve cut myself more with DE blades by far, counter-intuitive as it may seem at first.

I still sometimes have trouble with second passes and problem spots with the straight, (no cuts really, just some skin irritation resulting from impatience more than anything else I think,) but I’m about to put my safety away and challenge myself to a complete straight razor shave. I feel I’m pretty good at stropping, and am about to begin learning touch-up with a coticule.

This community has been an invaluable resource along the way, so now I hope to start giving back to this awesome little niche in the world. It’s been said before, but it’s a very empowering thing to be able to put a knife to your face and cut your beard (and nothing else,) off before going to work in the morning, especially for someone whose been told “you can’t” more times than he can count!

Hello and welcome, Zach. Great to have you here. B&B is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Inspiring is the right word. That is an amazing accomplishment, Zach. I am clapping.:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Wow . . . welcome to the site, and thanks for the inspiration. Your post certainly affirms my desire to transition to a Straight at some point this year.

Wow. Very empowering. Your story leaves me feeling silly at my own reluctance to try straights. Welcome here!

The worst part of the switch was the actual act of holding it, lather on face, before that first pass. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t have messed around with the shavette. Turns out that actual straights are a lot more forgiving; more room for bend in the steel than a shavette where it’s possible to cut yourself without getting the feeling that you’ve cut yourself. If you’ve thought about it, just go for it!

I plan on it. I got a small coticule bout and a cheap extra blade so I won’t feel bad about messing it up on the stone. Heard a lot of good things about coticules producing a comfortable sharp edge. It’s going to be another adventure, just like straight razors in the first place!

Top Bottom