What's new

Any Way To Fix This?

I Bought A Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen A Couple of Years Ago.
A Few Months Ago, I Decided To Carry It In My Pants Pocket Instead Of My Shirt Pocket. (Bad Idea)
Now The Cap Doesn't Want To Stay On The Pen Anymore.
It Slips On, Then Comes Off Like it isn't Tight Enough.
(I'm Guessing A Spring Is Loose Or Broken inside the cap)
Is There A Way I Can Fix This?
Thanks in Advance!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Where Can I Get One For $9?

I was wondering that myself. I see they're $22 at Jet Pens, one of my go-to spots.

I guess fountain pens and pants pockets are a sketchy combo -- I once ruined an Esterbrook clip that way.

engeika has them for 9 bucks, I've bought a few for PIFs and gifts
http://www.engeika.com/product-group/163

but you will have to sign up to see price, i just signed in to confirm it's still 9 bucks

But it looks from his shipping chart as if the shipping fee would be $3 if the shipping weight is less than 11g (which doesn't seem likely), or $15 if it's more than that. So it could be $24, really. Not criticizing Engeika. Even with his shipping fees, I have saved on some other items, but he's shipping from Japan.

You may end up just buying a new pen anyway, but if you shine a light into the cap, do you see any obvious damage, like something that looks cracked? There is typically an inner cap assembly. If it's not actually broken, could it have gotten loose and been pushed in a little too far so that it no longer reaches far enough down on the pen to snap into place? If so, it might be possible to coax it far enough back down that it will snap into place again. Or if you can get it out of the cap entirely, then you can see what you're dealing with better. I'm just speculating, though.

I don't know if the Plaisir has a more advanced capping system than the cheapest Platinum pen, the Preppy, but I just noticed that the cap in the Preppy has four little nubs on the inside lip of the cap which are what snap it into place. You could look on the inside of the Plaisir cap to see if something similar seems to be broken off.

I just got a Platinum 3776 Century for 9 bucks.

Wasn't planning on it, but saw that a few were on Amazon for the Japanese price of $84. Used a $75 Amazon gift card my brother gave me for Christmas. The pen is in stock at Amazon with Free Prime shipping, so all I paid was $9.

Chartres Blue, 14k medium nib. I'm pretty stoked to say the least. :thumbup:

Sometimes Amazon has pens for Japan-only prices in stock with fulfillment and Prime shipping. I have no idea how or why, but that's how I got both my Pilot Custom 74 and CH91.

You may end up just buying a new pen anyway, but if you shine a light into the cap, do you see any obvious damage, like something that looks cracked? There is typically an inner cap assembly. If it's not actually broken, could it have gotten loose and been pushed in a little too far so that it no longer reaches far enough down on the pen to snap into place? If so, it might be possible to coax it far enough back down that it will snap into place again. Or if you can get it out of the cap entirely, then you can see what you're dealing with better. I'm just speculating, though.

I Just Looked inside With my Flashlight, I Saw A Hard Inner Ring in the Middle of The Cap (immovable) And A Small Spring At The Bottom. I may Try to Mess With This, Can't Make It Any Worse.

Top Bottom