What's new

What's your travel suitcase?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Your suitcase is either going to get beat up or stolen, so why drop a fortune on it?

I fly quite a bit, and regretted buying a budget suitcase a while ago .... I think it didn't even last ten flights before the shell had cracked.

Simple. Buy quality, buy once.

The last three posts really narrowed in on the conundrum ... rugged quality that will last for a lifetime ... the thief's lifetime, that is ... or a Walmart Special that nobody would be bothered to steal, unless they were interested in used duct tape. I guess the key is to buy a sturdy case that isn't theft-bait.

I guess the key is to buy a sturdy case that isn't theft-bait.

You probably travel in rougher conditions than I do ... in 15 years of international business travel, I never had a suitcase stolen. Delivered to the wrong address, yes. Not gone on the flight at all, that too. But completely gone? Not yet!

BTW, my travels are all in Europe.

Nothing beats my Bob Timberlake rucksack. That thing has been on many plane floors/overheads and traveled across Europe. The combination of leather and canvas is outstanding and very well made. You can purchase some of his products at Bass Pro but their website is where I buy mine, I also have the matching briefcase. The more they are roughed up the better they still look classy. They can be a little expensive buy if you keep an eye out on the auction sites you can pick them up at a good price.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You probably travel in rougher conditions than I do ... in 15 years of international business travel, I never had a suitcase stolen. Delivered to the wrong address, yes. Not gone on the flight at all, that too. But completely gone? Not yet!

BTW, my travels are all in Europe.

No, I'm just going by the comments here (and elsewhere) about stuff getting stolen. I guess that taking a suitcase that is "obviously money" like Louis Vuitton or an all-leather Saddleback and entrusting it to "the system" is going to be a little risky.

I've never had a suitcase stolen or "permanently missing". I have had a cheap suitcase handle break off early into a rather long trip, and the odd zipper become "dubious".

I use TUMI, end of story. I have logged millions of miles traveling all over the world and TUMI has been there without failing. Not only that, but now TUMI fix them for free. I have not bought a new piece of rolling luggage in 10 years.

I guess the key is to buy a sturdy case that isn't theft-bait.

Luggage is rarely stolen. It's that simple. Misplaced? Wrong flight? Sure, it happens.

The reason to buy quality the first time is obvious; the more you spend on true quality luggage (Tumi, Briggs, etc.), the better the chance that the manufacturer will back potential repairs with no questions asked. Look, there are all kinds of buyers in the world; some make a habit out of buying the cheapest they can find and don't mind replacing it. My Dad would buy a $1.00 garden hose that would last about 2 weeks, then buy another. He could have bought one for $5.00 that would have lasted 2 years.

Others buy what they can reasonably spend based on their budget.

Very few people buy ultra-expensive luggage. It's difficult to justify spending $3,000. on a bag unless you fly private. That is why I bought the highest quality luggage that I could, and that is the reason that it still looks great.

Last edited:
As someone who travels long-haul often I would just recommend that whatever you carry on has 4 wheels. It makes standing in lines, moving around airport lounges etc much easier.

If it's only for carry-on it does not have to be super sturdy - pulling in and out of the bin is not that hard of a life for luggage compared to checking it in.

Wheeled luggage and handle hardware decreases interior space. Not an issue if you check larger bags, but it makes a difference when a bag must meet carry on dimensions. It's just another reason I have ditched rolling bags for good.

Cheers

Briggs & Riley - can't beat it between the warranty and durability.
+1 Love both my duffel (duffle?) bag and rolling carry-on from B&R. Everything about these bags feels great to the touch with a solid feel overall. Warranty is supposed to be great (have not used). There is little sign of wear after five years of frequent use. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited:
My wife and I bought Calpack Valley 20" hard sided carryons for our trip last year. They roll very nicely, fit in the overhead without and issue and easily meet the new TSA size restrictions. They're not expensive (about $50) so if the TSA decide to rip them open I'm not out a ton of money.
They suitcases are roughly 9.5x20x14" They have an expandable section that can add a few inches to the 9.5" dimension, but that technically puts it outside the size limit, although it still fit in the overhead on my flights.
With clever packing techniques we managed to pack for a week without having to check any bags. (The two Calpacks, a backpack and a laptop bag.)

Particularly, something light weight, that rolls, fits on the plane's overhead compartment, and is NOT sold in discount stores.

I'm interested in the best suitcase at the best value. :001_cool:

I have one by Pathfinder. I bought it about 12-15 years ago and even thought it fits in overhead compartments I check it in. It has survived more than 100 checkins over the years and it's still going strong.

I heard they were going out of business, but I see now they still have a website.
http://www.pathfinderluggage.com/Product.aspx?PROD_CD=P3157-01-22W
(This is the closest to the one I have, but I don't see my exact style.)

Keep in mind that checkin for US flights vs international flights can sometimes be different. Some airlines (non-US) restrict the carry on size to 21".
http://www.worldtraveler.com/international-carry-on-size

Top Bottom