What's new

What's your travel suitcase?

I have a Rick Steeves rolling carryon, which I quite like. Excellent for the price, in my opinion.

I also have an old Tumi suitcase/garment bag, which is bigger and needs to be checked which I also quite like but which is more expensive.

Best bet though is to see what the flight attendants use and go with that.

travelpro claims it's the bag flight attendants choose most. We ended up getting a set for my daughter to travel to Europe with for school. She liked them enough that I decided to used them this week for a quick trip to Vegas. IMO they are a lot better then my samsonite luggage that my wife used for the same trip. Only thing is I didn't see a single flight attendant use one 😄

I picked up a Samsonite from TJ Maxx about 12 years ago and it's still going strong. I travel about 15+ trips a year and always carry on, so my bag hasn't been subjected to the baggage handling gorillas. I have had to tighten a few screws and lube the wheels from time to time.
Over the years I've been tempted to go with a Tumi (I have a Tumi briefcase) but am intrigued by the Luggage Works (above).

Forgot to add that I also travel with my LL Bean backpack. I favor the Turbo Transit in black. Usually it holds all of my D&D books, notes, dice, and more with plenty of room to spare. Definitely worth the investment, especially because of their return policy.

Been traveling for years and for me the Tumi Alpha (now Alpha 2) Frequent Traveller 2 wheeled carry on is the best money spent. It looks like new after approx 8 years of heavy duty international flights

Briggs & Riley - without question the best investment. Light, innovative designs and features, and a REAL warranty that is backed-up with plenty of solid experiences by heavy travelers over many years. Bought our sets 5 years ago and they look new and are awesome.

I don't travel often so I have a cheap rolling carry-on size bag.

Last time I flew, it was an overnight trip so I just packed a duffle bag, and even that was half empty.

If and when my company starts flying me out on a regular basis, I'd like to get either a nice backpack or something similar for those overnight flights. Something that you can sling over your shoulder easily and that you can cram into the overhead compartment easily for when you have a full flight.

Just picked this duffle up for short weekend trips and for longer ones I will just check in my generic Samsonite Ultra case.

I travel light. Always. Most of my business trips are three days at most. I have a Duluth Pack dufflebag and a Filson messenger. Combined, they contain everything I need, and I don't have to check them. One goes in the overhead and one goes under the seat.

Tumi Alpha 2

+1, I have the same.
Not the lightest, but a great suitcase!

proxy.php

Your choice will be affected by budget of course, of the above you can not go wrong with Tumi, Briggs & Riley, Victorinox, Travelpro, High Sierra. Each has multiple lines at different price points. Getting a year old style at a store like Tues Morning, TJ Maxx as listed above is by far the best bang for the buck.

The one thing I don't like about old school bags is the lack of a zipper. I want to get in and out of the bag quickly without having to unbuckle and re-buckle the bag.

Those Duluth Pack bags look great. They have some options with YKK zippers, heavy duty canvas, good carry-on sizes, LOVE the colors (that navy and brown looks awesome), reasonable prices. Definitely putting them on my short list.

I picked up a Samsonite from TJ Maxx about 12 years ago and it's still going strong. I travel about 15+ trips a year and always carry on, so my bag hasn't been subjected to the baggage handling gorillas.

I have a Samsonite that goes in the checked baggage, so it is mishandled on every flight. I bought that Samsonite in 2002, and it certainly has made 150 flights in that time; possibly more. It does look slightly battered from the outside, with some deep scratches in the plastic, and the wheels are slightly noisy. But it is still going strong, and feels as sturdy as ten years ago.

In contrast, I had a low end (smaller) bag for a while, that has probably survived ten flights or so ... very disappointing. I replaced it with a smaller Samsonite in the meantime.

Top Bottom