What's new

Caran d'Ache Vibrant Green Review

Caran d'Ache
Vibrant Green

First a big thank you to John, for sending me the sample with the Christmas card. Really cool since at last look we dont have a single review on a Caran d'Ache ink as of yet so it will be nice to add one to the list. thanks John.

Second, at .64¢ a ml this is not a cheap ink, fancy glass bottle that comes loaded with 50ml at $32.00 plus shipping puts this ink line at the top of the price range. it is a nice performer, but you are paying a premium for the bottle as no ink is really that nice. but much like Iroshizuku or Edelstein, the ink is nice to write with so if you do decide to spend the money, at least you have something nice to use along with that fancy bottle.

Lets have a look at some shots, and Ill give you some thoughts after. I dont have the sun out so these are indoor shots, ill update with some outdoors when the sun decides to show its face round here again.

$2015-01-04 13.49.44.jpg
$2015-01-04 14.20.40.jpg
You will notice a difference from the top quarter to the bottom three quarters of the little lines I made to swipe through, this is coming from the Bold nib shading on such a small stroke on the page, the shading is making for a line whose bottom part is at least twice as wet as the top part, so with a fine nib, or on paper that wont have it shade so much you will notice this ink is far above average for dry times. Even with some of my quick dry inks on this paper, the shaded area are almost as fast as some of them at the 20-25 time frame. but with a fine nib you will find a sub 10 second time, and on Apica Premium CD paper, that is really fast, only MonteVerde inks have done that for me in the past.

$2015-01-04 13.50.02.jpg
This ink will shade great if you have the write nib, and paper to let it out. It has a nice saturation level that lets the colours pop on the page, but does not over saturate to impede flow with a heavy ink, or not leave anything left to shade when writing. the ink is a nice balance that reminds me of Akkerman, and MonteVerde as far as colour goes.

Some general writing samples, both cursive and printed
$2015-01-04 13.50.20.jpg
$2015-01-04 13.52.28.jpg

The ink is nice, but over priced as they are a luxury brand and want to keep that appearance. the ink isn't in my opinion that much better then many other options out there, but then the same could be said of iroshizuku and Edelstein inks, and like them, at least the ink in the bottle is of a nice enough quality that if you did decide to purchase the ink you would have something you would love to use as this is an ink that is among the better I own, just not better then everything else I own.

Never been a fan of green inks, but I have a bottle of Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon, so I know the brand makes good stuff.

Disagree with you on Iroshizuku not being "that much better than many other options out there," though. That ink can transform the performance of a pen, in addition to the colors you get.

No ink is worth $30, but with Iro, I don't mind paying $22 to $25-ish.

don't get me won't i love Iro ink, just meant it's not twice as good as a lot of inks at half the price, it does offer a unique range of inks not easily found and it's properties as far as saturation and flow is unique to the brand as well... but party of that cost is in the name and bottle. Akkerman would be in that category as well but i do love the orange boven ink i have

Haven't tried Akkerman yet, but boy do I love the look and functionality of those bottles. I've told myself I'm going to use an entire bottle of ink that I already have before I spring for Akkerman.

Despite my love for Iro I only have 6 bottles of it...spread over 3 years. But my bottle of Kon Peki is the only one that looks significantly used. I swear, if that color is ever discontinued I'll go out of my mind.

I'm ever so carefully conserving the CdA Grand Canyon. I've never found a better sepia ink than that...and they go and discontinue it.

I liked the Visconti green i brought back from DC.. or at least the converter full of ink i brought back. This stuff is really nice as well

Top Bottom