Tech Specs
Weight (Capped): 30g
Weight (Uncapped): 20g
Length(Capped): 5.9in
Length(Uncapped): 5.2in
Nib:14k Gold, Bold tip size

the Break Down
$2015-01-03 18.57.43.jpg
from left to right, the gold trim ring where the blind cap meets the pen body, the nib, the feed, the body, the vac piston, and the cap.

The nib and feed is a simple friction fit into the body, and the vac piston is threaded in with the simple use of a TWSBI wrench. This set up makes simple maintenance a breeze, since the pen body is completely open when broken down re-applying silicon for the piston head, or cleaning out stubborn inks is quite simple to get to.

IMPORTANT NOTE
One thing I have yet to see in online material that I think I should mention here, is the lose trim wrong that fits between the Vac Piston and the Pen Body does have a correct orientation to it, one side of the ring is flat, while the other side is notched, the flat side fits towards the body, while the notched end seats, and holds the black plastic threaded section of the vac piston. if this is not put in the right way threading down the Piston, and screwing down the blind cap will leave a small gap, and applying to much pressure may cause damage. If you take your pen apart be sure to put the flat side of the ring down towards the body.
$2015-01-03 18.57.57.jpg
In this picture, you would be looking at the notched side that would face the blind cap, the side towards the page is flat and would face the body

This Nib
$2015-01-03 22.38.53.jpg

Like any other Pilot Nib I own, is perfect, it has some spring to it, and a little give, but not a flex by any means. Its feels great and smooth on the page with just the right amount of feedback letting you know what your doing. I opted for the bold in this pen as I have yet to use one, Pilot makes such amazing Fines and Extra Fines I usually go for them, but here we have something that can show off some ink, while still (Since being a Japanese Fine) Being thin enough for everyday use, this pen is a thick medium to most European Nibs. I havent had any issues with skipping or any problems with the feed keeping up with the writing, the pen writes about a 7 on (Dry)1 - 10(Wet) scale, and is well suited to most any task.

Trim And Clip and Look
$2015-01-03 22.50.57.jpg

This pen has Pilots old tapered ball end Clip that works great for both securing to a pocket, as well as easily clearing thicker pocket edges like jeans. the gold trim is like all my other pilots, perfect. The wide cap band is engraved with Custom 823, PILOT MADE IN JAPAN, and unlike any other Pilot band I have seen, this pen also has three stars between the two markings. the other two bands are at the top cap, which matches the band at the blind cap, and a simple thinner band that is found between the grip section and the amber transparent body.

The pen is among the larger offered pens in Pilots Custom line up, but is not overly so (Comparison pictures in following post to come)the pen's classic cigar shape and trims make it a very handsome pen that should appeal to most people. Although most pictures would have you believe (At least on the Amber model) that the cap jewel, blind cap, and grip sections are black, they are upon closer inspection actually a dark brown that suits the pen very nicely.

Last edited:
$2015-01-03 19.27.55.jpg$2015-01-03 19.30.51.jpg
Left to Right
Visconti Rembrandt | Visconti Homo Sapiens Maxi | Pilot CH92 | Pilot Custom 823 | Pilot Ch912 | TWSBI Vac700 | Franklin Christoph 03

The Pen may be on the larger size, but it is well balanced and feel absolutely comfortable in the hands, despite its size, the light weight of the cap, and the way it fits in the hand also makes this a good pen choice for those who dont really like to cap but have to from time to time. Im not usually a capped kind of guy, but this is a pen I can write with posted with no issues.​

Last edited:
Comfortable in the hand,
A timeless appeal,
Great Nib and feed
and at a price that makes it almost impossible to ignore against other pens in its class. Engieka sells the pen for 234.00USD plus shipping, and most north american sites will send it along your way for 288.00USD, and include a nicer package and bottle of ink.

After spending some significant time with this pen, it quickly became one of my top three pens in my collection. It holds a tonne of ink, is super easy to clean, and the vac filling system is easy to use and has little upkeep. the TWSBI Vac is a clone of this system, and just like the pen you can here remove the bottom seal to take away the close off valve function of the blind cap for those who dont not find that feature appealing.

Another thing to note on these filling systems (As its true on not only my Pilot, but TWSBI and Visconti Power Filler as well) but as the pen draw in through the air tube it leaves a lot of ink in that area, it has nowhere to go but down, and will eventually leave a blob of ink on your page if you don't use some tissue or blotting paper to dry that area out after a fill.

Last edited:
Great review, James! If I don't blow my savings at the Philly Pen Show in a couple of weeks, the 823 is near the top of my want list.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the review! Although it will be awhile until I'm ready for something like that beautiful Pilot Custom, you have enabled me even further towards the TWSBI Vac 700!

Great review, James! If I don't blow my savings at the Philly Pen Show in a couple of weeks, the 823 is near the top of my want list.

I wish you good luck kind sir lol

Thanks for the review! Although it will be awhile until I'm ready for something like that beautiful Pilot Custom, you have enabled me even further towards the TWSBI Vac 700!

I like my Vac, the nibs between these two are no contest, but the TWSBI nib is okay and a great workhorse pen... a bit big for some though, I have a review on mine in the stickies as well

Thank you for the excellent review! The 823 is near/at top of my list. Am thinking of custom order for the FA or maybe Waverly nib but not sure (concerned about some reports the FA not keeping up with western writing speeds). Do you know approximate diameter of narrowest part of the section? I have a bit of arthritis and am finding section diameters equal to or greater 10mm to be more comfortable for me.

Thanks,

Moe

I don't have a caliper to measure, bit Goulet shows the grip Diameter at 10.52mm, not sure where they took the measurement, but even if its at the widest point that smallest point will be well above 10mm. This is ome of the widest pens along with the 743 in the Custom lineup... I believe only the 845 is larger

Last edited:
I don't have a caliper to measure, bit Goulet shows the grip Diameter at 19.8mm, not sure where they took the measurement, but even if its at the widest point that smallest point will be well above 10mm. This is ome of the widest pens along with the 743 in the Custom lineup... I believe only the 845 is larger

Doh! I have looked at the pen comparison tool photos on Goulet but not thought to look at tech specs on the pen itself. Actually shows Grip diameter of 10.52mm so even if it is at larger part should be ok for me.

Thanks!

Great review, James. I absolutely love mine, and despite wishing that I had gotten a B nib, I'm enjoying the M nib immensely. I love everything about this pen. I will note, though, that the Custom 743 and 845 both have the 3-star lacquered lettering around the cap band.

Thank you for the excellent review! The 823 is near/at top of my list. Am thinking of custom order for the FA or maybe Waverly nib but not sure (concerned about some reports the FA not keeping up with western writing speeds).
From what I've read and seen, that IS true, but it also depends on how you hold the pen. Brian Goulet noted in a video that while he and Drew had trouble with the FA nib and were extremely frustrated, they gave it to Rachel, and she had no trouble at all using it. Keep in mind, like Dan from FP Geeks says, the FA nib was (until recently) a Japan-only nib for a reason. The nib and feed were designed to add flourishes to kanji, not for Westerners to write copperplate. Attractive script can be produced with it, though, as writing sample at Tokyo Pen Shop Quill shows. Maybe you can ask them for tips?

I have also seen a Youtube vid of a Japanese user who had trouble with it too, but again, I think it's all in adjusting your angle. Who knows? I haven't used it personally But as you say, that's certainly a consideration. In any case...plenty of other nibs to choose from!

Last edited:
i have no issue with my FA in my 912 after i switched out the con 70 for a con 20, not sure about it in the 823 though as it feeds differently and is a different size nib

i have no issue with my FA in my 912 after i switched out the con 70 for a con 20, not sure about it in the 823 though as it feeds differently and is a different size nib
Ah, good to hear then. A lot of people seem to dislike the Con-50 and Con-70 converters. I have both, have used both, but currently they're stored away since I just opt to use cartridges in all my Pilot C/C pens.

Every time someone complains about the FA nib it just makes my head want to burst, though. Pilot has been producing it for decades, and people have been importing it for several years now, but why can't people realize the reason why it wasn't formally introduced to the US market until recently? And what it's designed for? Dan Smith's video reviews on the 912 and 743 with FA nibs should be required viewing for people interested in it.

And then there's the people that criticize the Falcon because they expect it to be a vintage Waterman or Wahl-Eversharp Skyline equivalent..... :sigh:

I very nearly got a 912 with the FA nib just so I could have it, but decided that I have enough Pilots for now, and my next pen purchases would be elsewhere. Counting the pennies for a Sailor and that Pelikan Cafe Creme come March....

I dont mind the Con70 it just wasn't working for what I wanted and I made the con20 work. The con 70 works just fine in my Justus though.

View attachment 536876View attachment 536877
Left to Right
Visconti Rembrandt | Visconti Homo Sapiens Maxi | Pilot CH92 | Pilot Custom 823 | Pilot Ch912 | TWSBI Vac700 | Franklin Christoph 03

The Pen may be on the larger size, but it is well balanced and feel absolutely comfortable in the hands, despite its size, the light weight of the cap, and the way it fits in the hand also makes this a good pen choice for those who dont really like to cap but have to from time to time. Im not usually a capped kind of guy, but this is a pen I can write with posted with no issues.​

Are you able to remove the nibs on your viscontis?

some yes, the Rembrandts are able to, the homo sapies threads out as a unit and i leave it like that

Different Viscontis are made differently so you have to know what your getting into

Top Bottom