What's new

Does a straight out perform a DE?

Hi all i was just wondering what the difference is as far as smoothness goes when it comes to using a straight razor vs a DE? I have been DE shaving for years and was thinking of going to a straight but I am still skeptical on it. If anyone has advice please share it with me i would really appreciate it.

I think you should give it a try. Lots of nice used ones on the B&B Hobbyist and Members Sales Forum. Learning will be more of a challenge than shaving with a DE razor.

You can get just as close and smooth of a shave with a straight, compared to a DE. It's a steep learning curve though. Many people have said it takes 100 shaves to get there. It took me about 40-50.

Last edited:
I have been using a DE more and more often lately due to the convenience of them and the fact I found one I really love. All things considered though there is really nothing like a straight razor shave. I wouldn't call it a "night and day" type of difference but a good straight shave will be a little closer and last a little longer. The comfort level of a nice straight razor edge is just a little better as well I think.
This is coming from somebody who used a DE for maybe 1.5 years, then took up straights for 2-2.5 years and is now using both.
If I had to pick just one it may be difficult. You should go for it.

The big difference for me is a way-better skin condition with the straight. My DEs are a tad less comfortable mad my face just feels better with a straight razor shave, when I've got the time.

If you have any interest at all you should try it.

I too was skeptical, I've since sold most of my DEs.
+1. Two months after I switched, I started getting rid of my DE's. Only kept a couple Techs, NEW LC, Muhle 89, and a Weber handle. The R41 for me was more aggressive than a straight.

I learned to shave with a DE back in the early 70s. When I picked it back up again a few short moths ago, the fist shave from it was amazing, and all of the technique came back to me immediately.

With straight razor shaving, you have to be committed to do it because it is not like any other type of shaving. I am about 48 shaves into it, and I have not perfected anything about it. I have grown in leaps and bounds, I have gotten incredible shaves that surpass any DE shave I ever had, but subtle technique changes are learned every day that improve slightly the result. If you want only a clean shaven face by the most efficient means possible, then stick with the DE. If you are the type of person that wants a challenge, and likes to make steel incredibly sharp, there is nothing that will satisfy you like learning to use and maintain a straight razor.

Straight razor is by far the best you can get for yourself. No DE that can beat straight, they can came close, but not outperform.

If I may piggyback on this thread, would you Straight users recommend using a Shavette first as part of transitioning to a Straight razor? Or should one just jump right in?
Like the OP, I am using a DE right now, but am tempted by the long blade.

If I may piggyback on this thread, would you Straight users recommend using a Shavette first as part of transitioning to a Straight razor? Or should one just jump right in?
Like the OP, I am using a DE right now, but am tempted by the long blade.
I would recommend to get a properly honed straight and skip shavette stage.

Not what I meant. Obviously, both (all three) can slice you open. By "safer", I meant that the DE is more "forgiving" of technique, if you will. Similarly, I have read the same about a Shavette . . . namely, that they are more forgiving of poor technique than a Straight.

If I am incorrect in those beliefs, then I appreciate the education.

I think the DE is popular for a reason.
You can get a great shave without a lot of work.

IMO if you are into the hobby, like me, you will enjoy using the items necessary to
maintain a straight razor. But, I like the DE's too.
I've gotten fine shaves from both.

Top Bottom