What's new

gumbo

pulled the frozen gumbo out.. didn't keep as well as i had hoped but it's still yummy over biscuits

pretty simple recipe:

fried up some andoiulle and some chicken. removed and made a roux from the juices/fat.

added some chicken stock, carrots, green and red peppers, pickled jalepenos, okra, celery garlic bay leaves.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
pulled the frozen gumbo out.. didn't keep as well as i had hoped but it's still yummy over biscuits

pretty simple recipe:

fried up some andoiulle and some chicken. removed and made a roux from the juices/fat.

added some chicken stock, carrots, green and red peppers, pickled jalepenos, okra, celery garlic bay leaves.
Mark:
Did you sprinkle some Filé on your Gumbo upon serving or did you add a pinch to the pot at the very end of cooking
proxy.php

attachment.php
"Gumbo: There is no dish which at the same time so tickles the palate and satisfies the appetite...it is a dinner in itself, being soup, piece de résistance, entrée and vegetable in one". William H. Coleman

Mark:
Did you sprinkle some Filé on your Gumbo upon serving or did you add a pinch to the pot at the very end of cooking
proxy.php

attachment.php
"Gumbo: There is no dish which at the same time so tickles the palate and satisfies the appetite...it is a dinner in itself, being soup, piece de résistance, entrée and vegetable in one". William H. Coleman

Isn't that blasphemy? I've heard File or Okra, never both.

For reference, I actually prefer File gumbo.

pretty simple recipe:

Sounds good baby......................makes me want to make our sea food gumbo again....maybe after next payday$

pretty simple recipe:

Say cher, where ya from?

I use both at the same time.
But I am from Texas and freely admit I don't know what I am doing.

Sure is good though!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've never put filé in the pot, but it's always on the table, whether there's okra in the pot or not. I grew up around a whole lot of names that end in eau(x), too.

Peanut oil makes a fantastic roux. I usually cant get enough fat out of the chicken or andouille to make as much roux as I want. I like a thick gumbo that way.

TL

Where I live there are a lot of last names that end in eau(x) and oin .. and I haven't run across an okra gumbo yet (I guess they use it in gumbos on the other side of the basin), but filé is always on the table.

Where I live there are a lot of last names that end in eau(x) and oin .. and I haven't run across an okra gumbo yet (I guess they use it in gumbos on the other side of the basin), but filé is always on the table.

Gumbo means okra -

Definition of GUMBO

: a soup thickened with okra pods or filé and containing meat or seafoods and usually vegetables

: okra 1

Meriam Webster dictionary

Top Bottom