What's new

Which reel would you choose any why?

I recently inherited my choice of one of three bait cast reels from my still living uncle. I get first choice but have to give my brother in law the others, which I am ok with. I have plenty of reels but they are all spinning reels and I've always wanted to learn to use a bait caster.

I know the picture isn't all that great ( I took it a month ago or more), I'll upload another soon and probably some model numbers. I just wanted some initial thoughts. Keep in mind they all work perfectly, just need a bit of cleaning up and some new line. My uncle used them in brackish water, I plan to use them in fresh only.

So which would you chose and why?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1420238642250.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1420238642250.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 140
The first one in line in the photograph, as it has no bird's nest in the line.

# 2 and # 3 have birds nests in the line, which might indicate their out of adjustment, the angler was a little rusty on technique...or there not as good as the first one. Don't think it's the angler as they look well used and you Uncle sounds like he knows what he's doing with a baitcaster.

I have an Abu Garcia 5600 AB...anti backlash . It's a great baitcaster, use it for Channel Catfishing. Have a big, strong Ugly Stick for a rod and use 20 lb. test.

Last edited:
Actually, I caused the birdsnests, they were not all messed up when I got them. I've never used a baitcaster and was practicing a bit with each of them. I'd get a couple good casts in the driveway with each, then get a birdnest, then switch to another reel. Since then, I've cleared the birdnests (a few times) and bettered my technique. As I said earlier, they all seem to work perfectly.

Go with the Curado. They are great reels, and you can do some nice upgrades with bearings, drag washers, and handle. You won't be disappointed.

Go with the Curado. They are great reels, and you can do some nice upgrades with bearings, drag washers, and handle. You won't be disappointed.

+1. The Curado is a pretty high end reel, more so than anything I have anyway. The Citica is down a few pegs, but is also among Shimano's nicer reels.

+1. The Curado is a pretty high end reel, more so than anything I have anyway. The Citica is down a few pegs, but is also among Shimano's nicer reels.

After checking the internets, it looks like the Curado is also a Shimano product. But it also looks like its higher than the Citica in their line.

I have some model numbers, looks like these are all about 14 years old or so. Does amount of bearings have a bearing (pun intended) on how well the reel will operate? I think I have also narrowed it down to the Curado or the Quantum, but leaning toward the Curado.

Quantum e600 6 bearings

Curado CU200 5 bearings

Citica CI200 2 bearing

+1

In fact in the condition it's in, I would probably order a set of drag washers and clean it up as well.

Remove the line
Take it apart and apply some plain old white toothpaste** in the gear area
Put it back together
Sit and watch some tv or something while winding the reel with the white toothpaste in the gears for about 15 or 20 minutes
Take the real apart and use some of your favorite lube (I like break free) to clean the reel with and remove the toothpaste
Get some good quality reel lube (appropriate for the temperatures that you fish in - ice fishing will demand different lube than fishing in Florida)
Lube the gears
replace the drag washers
and fill it up with line

You'll be all set.

**Plain white toothpaste (without all the gels and the little plastic balls) acts like a fine abrasive polish and cleans up the gears really nice.

I wold go with the Curado. It looks to hold more line so it could be more versatile for loading with heavy line for catfish or light line for bass/panfish and still have plenty to use after you cut out a bird nest or two.
I own a Quantum and it is not much to write home about.
My advice for starting out with a bait caster is to buy a large roll of line and count on respooling it often until you really get the hang of it.

+1

In fact in the condition it's in, I would probably order a set of drag washers and clean it up as well.

Remove the line
Take it apart and apply some plain old white toothpaste** in the gear area
Put it back together
Sit and watch some tv or something while winding the reel with the white toothpaste in the gears for about 15 or 20 minutes
Take the real apart and use some of your favorite lube (I like break free) to clean the reel with and remove the toothpaste
Get some good quality reel lube (appropriate for the temperatures that you fish in - ice fishing will demand different lube than fishing in Florida)
Lube the gears
replace the drag washers
and fill it up with line

You'll be all set.

**Plain white toothpaste (without all the gels and the little plastic balls) acts like a fine abrasive polish and cleans up the gears really nice.
+1 maintenance is the key to keeping any reel working for years of fishing if you fish salt water after every trip

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
you can tighten the spin with the nob on the side, this should help with the birds nests until you get the hang of it.
Put a decent size sinker on the end of the line and click the button to release the spool. let the line fall to the ground by gravity only and once it hits the ground the spool should stop spinning, or slow dramatically. Tighten until it does this.

You'll have to adjust it with each lure you use.

I've used a bait caster exclusively for 12 years or so. Timing is key, using your thumb to stop the spool just as the lure hits the water can be tricky but you'll quickly figure it out because those bird nests are a PITA. That's why I like to adjust the spool tension with each lure I use.

Quantums aren't the greatest, that one would be the least desired one of the bunch imo. Number of bearings is usually used as a selling point, but has no indication of quality. I'd take a 3 bearing Abu Garcia over a 6 Quantum any day. Assuming it's in good working order, I'd take the Curado.

you can tighten the spin with the nob on the side, this should help with the birds nests until you get the hang of it.
Put a decent size sinker on the end of the line and click the button to release the spool. let the line fall to the ground by gravity only and once it hits the ground the spool should stop spinning, or slow dramatically. Tighten until it does this.

You'll have to adjust it with each lure you use.

I've used a bait caster exclusively for 12 years or so. Timing is key, using your thumb to stop the spool just as the lure hits the water can be tricky but you'll quickly figure it out because those bird nests are a PITA. That's why I like to adjust the spool tension with each lure I use.

Thanks for that info, it's good do know I can adjust the tension. I actually found the instructions online and printed them out, so that'll help too. Never having really used a bait caster, I still need a lot of practice...or that's what I'll tell my wife when I go fishing....that I'm "practicing my cast."

Quantums aren't the greatest, that one would be the least desired one of the bunch imo. Number of bearings is usually used as a selling point, but has no indication of quality. I'd take a 3 bearing Abu Garcia over a 6 Quantum any day. Assuming it's in good working order, I'd take the Curado.

Sounds like the Curado is the hands down winner! Good thing too, I've already started cleaning it up.

Not to pile on here but I would take the Curado. :lol:

Seriously, new carbontex drag washers and new bearings and you will have a great reel.

Top Bottom