What's new

What's Cooking, 2015

Had some friends over last night, decided to try a bunch of new dishes and techniques...

The Inspiration
proxy.php

Cocktail - Sphereized Mojito

Prep
proxy.php

Finished
proxy.php

Parmesan Cookies, Gnudi and Arencini to start.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1st Course - Eggs 3 Ways. Pressure Cooked, Deep Fried and Parmesan Brûlée

proxy.php

2nd Course - Carrot Soup with Coconut Foam

proxy.php

Main - Sous Vide Meatloaf with Hazelnut Horseradish Crust, Potato Puree and Roasted Asparagus

proxy.php

After that I was too tired to worry about dessert photos!

So my wife "shared" a post on FaceBook about a dish that sounded good. "Bang-Bang Shrimp", pretty simple and it cleared my sinuses in a heartbeat. Also added some cauliflower oiled and fried in a pan. Not too bad for a first try. Next time I think it'll get something to add some sweetness.

Had some friends over last night, decided to try a bunch of new dishes and techniques...

The Inspiration
proxy.php

Cocktail - Sphereized Mojito

Prep
proxy.php

Finished
proxy.php

Parmesan Cookies, Gnudi and Arencini to start.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1st Course - Eggs 3 Ways. Pressure Cooked, Deep Fried and Parmesan Brûlée

proxy.php

2nd Course - Carrot Soup with Coconut Foam

proxy.php

Main - Sous Vide Meatloaf with Hazelnut Horseradish Crust, Potato Puree and Roasted Asparagus

proxy.php

After that I was too tired to worry about dessert photos!
Nicely done! Everything looks delicious.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
So my wife "shared" a post on FaceBook about a dish that sounded good. "Bang-Bang Shrimp", pretty simple and it cleared my sinuses in a heartbeat. Also added some cauliflower oiled and fried in a pan. Not too bad for a first try. Next time I think it'll get something to add some sweetness.

Nice. Love the cauliflower and the noodles and shrimp and bam bam remind me of one of my favourites, Singapore noodles.

In the spirit of trying new things I decided to give Pierogi a shot. I remember my mother and great grandmother making them when I was a kid, and then I remember them subsequently complaining about making them. I definitely get it now. With no pasta roller, it is a labor intensive food (IMHO). I found a recipe online, and mostly stuck to it. I ran out of potato and cheese filling for the last 7 or 8, and decided to make a few with cinnamon apples and cheese. Why not? They're actually pretty good, they remind me of bohemian fruit dumplings. Anyways, I probably should have started with a smaller recipe for my first try at this, but here they are, boiled, but not yet fried. This is about 3/4 of them....

Looking good! I make them a couple times each year at Christmas and Easter. They are indeed labor-intensive but worth it.

In the spirit of trying new things I decided to give Pierogi a shot. I remember my mother and great grandmother making them when I was a kid, and then I remember them subsequently complaining about making them. I definitely get it now. With no pasta roller, it is a labor intensive food (IMHO). I found a recipe online, and mostly stuck to it. I ran out of potato and cheese filling for the last 7 or 8, and decided to make a few with cinnamon apples and cheese. Why not? They're actually pretty good, they remind me of bohemian fruit dumplings. Anyways, I probably should have started with a smaller recipe for my first try at this, but here they are, boiled, but not yet fried. This is about 3/4 of them....

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Fajita salad last night. Grilled flank steak, tomatoes, red onion, spinach, kale, pickled jalapeños, black beans and black olives. Some grilled corn would have been great to add...didn't have any. The dressing was a southwestern flavor. It had plan Greek yogurt, ketchup, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, finely chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, s&p.

$IMG_0611.jpg

OK, here was last nights supper. My Mom's Mac & Cheese casserole with freshly made homemade croutons. It's a hearty, feel good meal. A side salad would have been nice, but my wife was working so we skipped it.

The croutons were Garlic and Parmesan and we almost didn't have enough to put on it, as the kids kept eating them when they were warm out of the oven.

It was the first time with homemade croutons and all in the DeBuyer Paela pan which went in the oven after it was all assembled.

Croutons:
$IMG_20150128_163826.jpg

Beef & Onions:
$IMG_20150128_165003.jpg

Old Cheddar & Tomato:
$IMG_20150128_165642.jpg

Out of tho oven:
$IMG_20150128_173444.jpg

Plated with some Chili Garlic Cholula:
$IMG_20150128_173835.jpg

I've always taken pics of my BBQ, for as long as I can remember as I was on a BBQ forum.

But now, even the kids are pulling out their tablets and taking pics of their foods. It used to be, they'd get me to take a pic of their plate, but now they are arranging and taking pics of their own. My wife just shakes her head most of the time, but I've caught her taking pics of stuff and emailing/texting them to her friends lately :w00t:

Top Bottom