What's new

What's Cooking, 2015

Mmmm, pulled pork.

Speaking of which, we are going to attempt Carnita's tomorrow for the first time with our pulled pork from a couple weeks ago. Any tips or suggestions?

I'm guessing its just a matter of heating up the frozen pork in a little sauce, warm the tortillas and top with our choice of toppings.

We have some red cabbage, lime, feta, onion, peppers, cilantro, pineapple and corn tortillas on hand.
Here is the thread that got me going on these but it's for cooking them from scratch:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/450079-Carnitas

Since you've already got some made you could put it in a hot pan with some olive oil to crisp it up a little; that's how I've been reheating mine from the fridge. Simmering with some sauce sounds good too, like maybe some green salsa.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here is the thread that got me going on these but it's for cooking them from scratch:

Since you've already got some made you could put it in a hot pan with some olive oil to crisp it up a little; that's how I've been reheating mine from the fridge. Simmering with some sauce sounds good too, like maybe some green salsa.

+1 Otto

Bruce I like the added extras and the pineapple sounds really good.

+1 Otto

Bruce I like the added extras and the pineapple sounds really good.
I saw pineapple in a local place here on their menu, so figure why not.

Thanks for the link. We'll probably have a couple or few each so will try a few variations.

One of the first times I had carnitas was in Mexico and they had crushed pineapple as a garnish. They were cooked in some kind of red sauce and were delicious. I had forgotten about that, need to try it again.

$image.jpg

Curry night again:

Tried a new recipe (cardamom butter chicken - closest to the camera), refined an earlier attempt (ghobi balti in the middle) and an old standby, rogan josh.

Not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to put the leaf in the table, just to fit all the condiments on it for these Carnita's

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1432418466719.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1432418466719.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 36
Well, those went over like gangbusters. :w00t:

I don't know what they are supposed to taste like, but they were sure good. Especially that fresh pineapple, which was very refreshing on it.

Topped them with everything you see above. Everyone ate two, even the kids.

Super easy to prepare, presentation was colorful and everyone was able to customize them.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1432421265558.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1432421265558.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 37
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1432421303864.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1432421303864.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Those look delicious Bruce! I'm always surprised how good that Taco Bell green sauce is.
I like those dishes too, I need to pick up some small bowls and such for condiments. Where did you get those?

I like those dishes too, I need to pick up some small bowls and such for condiments. Where did you get those?

I have no idea. My wife comes home with ramekin and condiment dishes like they are going out of style.

I'll see if she remembers. The square ones are my favorite.

I have no idea. My wife comes home with ramekin and condiment dishes like they are going out of style.

I'll see if she remembers. The square ones are my favorite.
Appreciate it. I like those too; just the right size and kind of minamalist.

Cheers guys: the breads were just some shop bought naan (always a bit of a let down to be frank) and some poppadums from an Indian-run mini mart I picked up on the way home Friday night: one of the things that makes Singapore unique is the cutltural melting pot and you can get everything here. Except naan bread(!)

Thanks on the bread. The Naan looks a little to crisp/thin for my taste. It is really easy to make. I actually posted a recipe a little while ago.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cheers guys: the breads were just some shop bought naan (always a bit of a let down to be frank) and some poppadums from an Indian-run mini mart I picked up on the way home Friday night: one of the things that makes Singapore unique is the cutltural melting pot and you can get everything here. Except naan bread(!)
If the store bought is a let down, then I need to try to make my own. The stuff I picked up at the Indian market was pretty good, but I have never had naan before.

In my defence, the naans and poppadums are the only things shop-bought and it took me 3 hours in my sweatbox of a kitchen to make the curries(!) I tried a new brand of naans and didn't read the heating instructions properly last night - we had enough curry left over for lunch just now and I read that the breads should be wrapped in foil before putting in the oven and they were pretty OK. Curries much better the following day too.

I've never been very good with dough, especially out here, just too hot in the kitchen.

The chicken was especially good and the link is http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2220652/cardamom-butter-chicken

A bit of effort and time but well worth it - it will be a repeat repast!

Top Bottom