What's new

What's Cooking, 2015

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Goodness me. A new year is upon us.

For me this is a place where we get to see what others are cooking which may inspire us and then perhaps we share what we are cooking to inspire others.

Fire in people . . . it is all good!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Goodness me. A new year is upon us.

For me this is a place where we get to see what others are cooking which may inspire us and then perhaps we share what we are cooking to inspire others.

Fire in people . . . it is all good!

I never attempted lamb on the grill until I came here. The rack I grilled on my 20th was excellent because of the advice I got here.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Frittata or quiche? Who cares, it looks good and tastes great. Ask me what's in there.

$image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What's in there?

Shredded finely diced brussel sprouts, diced asparagus, diced cherry tomatoes, 1 clove of finely diced garlic, onion and hash brown potatoes from yesterday's breakfast, eggs, half&half, shredded Mexican cheese, a large pinch of New Mexico chili powder, a large pinch of curry powder, 1 slice of diced maple ham and a pinch of cayenne.

Shredded finely diced brussel sprouts, diced asparagus, diced cherry tomatoes, 1 clove of finely diced garlic, onion and hash brown potatoes from yesterday's breakfast, eggs, half&half, shredded Mexican cheese, a large pinch of New Mexico chili powder, a large pinch of curry powder, 1 slice of diced maple ham and a pinch of cayenne.

Now how am I supposed to make it until dinner without eating? I'm so hungry now!

It was Breakfast for Supper at our house tonight.

We had to elevate our regular Giant Apple Pancakes because of this thread so we pulled out the cast iron and tried something new. We normally do them on pizza pans, they are thinner and have a heck of a time getting them not to stick. From this meal forward, this our new method, much better tasty, more crispy edges, easy to remove from pan and zero clean up. Plus we'll be able to make them in a variety of sizes with different cast iron pans or serve individually.

Sliced up some apples and caramelized on the stove top with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon:
$IMG_20150102_175657 (Large).jpg

Poured batter over apples and put in oven:
$IMG_20150102_175952 (Large).jpg

Baked on convection for 15 minutes (we did two 11-3/4" skillets):
$IMG_20150102_181548 (Large).jpg

Transfer to plate by simply flipping over to have apple side face up, cut in 1/2 or eat the entire pancake if you can:
$IMG_20150102_182246 (Large).jpg

Drizzle with 100% Canadian Maple Syrup and enjoy:
$IMG_20150102_182747 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
It was Breakfast for Supper at our house tonight.

We had to elevate our regular Giant Apple Pancakes because of this thread so we pulled out the cast iron and tried something new. We normally do them on pizza pans, they are thinner and have a heck of a time getting them not to stick. From this meal forward, this our new method, much better tasty, more crispy edges, easy to remove from pan and zero clean up. Plus we'll be able to make them in a variety of sizes with different cast iron pans or serve individually.

Sliced up some apples and caramelized on the stove top with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon:
View attachment 536489

Poured batter over apples and put in oven:
View attachment 536490

Baked on convection for 15 minutes (we did two 11-3/4" skillets):
View attachment 536491

Transfer to plate by simply flipping over to have apple side face up, cut in 1/2 or eat the entire pancake if you can:
View attachment 536492

Drizzle with 100% Canadian Maple Syrup and enjoy:
View attachment 536493

I think I will surprise the wife with this one morning . . . okay, daughter can have some too.

Tonight my wife made homemade Calzones. Crust was made from scratch then stuffed with mozza, roasted red peppers, italian sausage, red wine marinara and some deli meats.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1420335444988.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1420335444988.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 282

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bruce, you know that is far too little information. We need a recipe for the crust at least :biggrin:

Bruce, you know that is far too little information. We need a recipe for the crust at least :biggrin:

Sorry about that, this is the recipe we use for the dough/crust. I'm sure there is an even more homemade way to make it, but this is as far as we take it.

If we are in a hurry, we just use pizza sauce for the sauce filling, but today we had some left over from scratch marinara which made them even tastier. Fill them up with whatever you want or customize them for each person. They always go over well at our house and heat up nicely in the toaster oven for lunch the next day.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sorry about that, this is the recipe we use for the dough/crust. I'm sure there is an even more homemade way to make it, but this is as far as we take it.

If we are in a hurry, we just use pizza sauce for the sauce filling, but today we had some left over from scratch marinara which made them even tastier. Fill them up with whatever you want or customize them for each person. They always go over well at our house and heat up nicely in the toaster oven for lunch the next day.
Thanks Bruce
Just a leg of lamb for some Sammy's

View attachment 536888
I just ate, but I am now hungry again. I absolutely love lamb- the perfect meat.

We've never done Leg of Lamb, but I've seen it at Costco and tempted.

Seeing this pic has confirmed what I thought.....We need to buy one.

Top Bottom