What's new

What's Cooking, 2015

Didn't !mean to nick pick the bread. It is pretty impressive to whip up one let alone three curries!! Have you posted your recipe for the rogan josh?

No worries mate!

I have used this recipe for around 4 or 5 years, not sure where I found it:

3 tbs butter
500g lamb leg steak, cubed
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp ground coriander
.5 tsp ground tumeric
.5 tsp ground chilli (adjust as required!)
1 tsp minced ginger
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely sliced
1 fresh chilli, thinly sliced (optionall)
14oz tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbs tomato puree
125ml water (last night I had made a batch of lamb stock and used that instead)
salt to taste
90ml cream
1 tsp garam masala
chopped coriander leaves for garnish

Melt 2 of the tbsp butter in a large heavy bottom pan and fry the cubes of lamb over medium heat. If you need to do 2 batches that's better to help brown the cubes.

Set aside once browned.

Lower the heat and add the spices, fry for 30-40 secs. Increase the heat back to med and add the meat and any juices. Fry for 3-4 mins, theh add the onions and chilli. Fry for another 5 mins stirring frequently. Add the toms and tom puree, stir in and cook for 3 mins. I always add a pinch of sugar when I use tinned toms as they can lack sweetness.

Add the water, salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for as long as it takes for the meat to become tender - say 45 - 50 mins.

Once tender, remove from the heat and stir in the cream. In a clean pan, melt the remaining butter and add the garam masala, stir it well to mix it. Add a bit of the gravy from the meat and mix then stir into the meat to mix it through.

Garnish with the coriander and a winning smile.

tonight was special 18 yr old macallan to wash down a 2 lb 2 inch thick ribeye cooked rare with a blue-cheese and caramelized vadlia onions and garlic. my wife who does not care for meat had a small bite then took another high praise indeed

chinese style beef rolls in a scallion pake, pretty good. $roll.jpg

No worries mate!

I have used this recipe for around 4 or 5 years, not sure where I found it:

3 tbs butter
500g lamb leg steak, cubed
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp ground coriander
.5 tsp ground tumeric
.5 tsp ground chilli (adjust as required!)
1 tsp minced ginger
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely sliced
1 fresh chilli, thinly sliced (optionall)
14oz tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbs tomato puree
125ml water (last night I had made a batch of lamb stock and used that instead)
salt to taste
90ml cream
1 tsp garam masala
chopped coriander leaves for garnish

Melt 2 of the tbsp butter in a large heavy bottom pan and fry the cubes of lamb over medium heat. If you need to do 2 batches that's better to help brown the cubes.

Set aside once browned.

Lower the heat and add the spices, fry for 30-40 secs. Increase the heat back to med and add the meat and any juices. Fry for 3-4 mins, theh add the onions and chilli. Fry for another 5 mins stirring frequently. Add the toms and tom puree, stir in and cook for 3 mins. I always add a pinch of sugar when I use tinned toms as they can lack sweetness.

Add the water, salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for as long as it takes for the meat to become tender - say 45 - 50 mins.

Once tender, remove from the heat and stir in the cream. In a clean pan, melt the remaining butter and add the garam masala, stir it well to mix it. Add a bit of the gravy from the meat and mix then stir into the meat to mix it through.

Garnish with the coriander and a winning smile.

I will be giving this a try in the future! Thanks for the recipe!

tonight was special 18 yr old macallan to wash down a 2 lb 2 inch thick ribeye cooked rare with a blue-cheese and caramelized vadlia onions and garlic. my wife who does not care for meat had a small bite then took another high praise indeed

Now that's a meal I can get behind!

chinese style beef rolls in a scallion pake, pretty good.View attachment 573995

Those look awesome, would you mind posting the recipe to these?

First multi-quote haha.

Appreciate it. I like those too; just the right size and kind of minamalist.
Sorry for the delay...she said they were from a local Asian market here in town. I'm guessing they have lots of these little serving and sauce type dishes at these markets for fair prices.

We buy quite a few things there, such as bamboo spoons, spatulas, dishes, tea cups, tea ball strainers etc.

Sorry for the delay...she said they were from a local Asian market here in town. I'm guessing they have lots of these little serving and sauce type dishes at these markets for fair prices.

We buy quite a few things there, such as bamboo spoons, spatulas, dishes, tea cups, tea ball strainers etc.
We have bought a lot of that kind of stuff at ours too; a wok, ladles, big bowls for noodles, chopsticks, etc. Now that I think about it they do have a lot of smaller dishes too, I only started looking for some recently and hadn't thought of that route. I will check it out!
Appreciate it Bruce.

Shrimp and chicken vermicelli rice wrapper thingies with sprouts, pea pods carrots etc.

Pulled out the octagonal sauce dishes tonight.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1432768807665.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1432768807665.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Shrimp and chicken vermicelli rice wrapper thingies with sprouts, pea pods carrots etc.

Pulled out the octagonal sauce dishes tonight.

Love me some fresh spring rolls. When I make these I have a hard time making a roll that holds together when cut. I dont know if it just isn't tight enough. Any tips? Also what dipping sauce? I use hoisin with some peanut butter mixed in.

Love me some fresh spring rolls. When I make these I have a hard time making a roll that holds together when cut. I dont know if it just isn't tight enough. Any tips? Also what dipping sauce? I use hoisin with some peanut butter mixed in.
There first few didn't wrap too tight but then we figured out we were soaking the rice wrappers too long.

As for the sauce, I'm not 100% sure but it did not have peanut. It was soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and maybe rice wine vinegar.

My wife did most of the work on these.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Aaron, I am not generally big on presentation, but I know your recipes are good, and your presentation is always excellent.

Top Bottom