What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

yes beef back ribs and spare ribs don't have the meat like you are looking for.
I do believe Marty has it in his post "whole rack of English cut ribs"
short ribs 5 to 8 being used in the video below.

The drawing I posted, we take the short rib from rib 3 to 7.
FYI there is 13 ribs on beef the 1st is at the neck end.

OK. Ignore my last post. This video explains it all. Thanks so much for posting it. So they really are plate ribs but I can just ask for whole short ribs from ribs 5 thru 8.

... or, is that incredible looking rib in the picture not really a short rib?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Masterbuilt Electric Smoker has been down for a few weeks with an electrical short. Finally fixed it this AM and made some ribs to celebrate!

Rub with salt and pepper, 3 hrs and 45 mins at 275F with Oak smoke (thanks to Osborn Cox for the time & temp tip). Here they are out of the smoker:

IMG_5021.JPG by cxg231, on Flickr

Hit them with BBQ sauce and finished them off on the grill for about 6 minutes.

IMG_5022.JPG by cxg231, on Flickr

And here is the finished product (sorry for the crappy photo). No smoke ring, but that happens sometimes. Best ribs I've ever made, loads of porky flavor with nice smoke and pepper coming through. Just a touch tougher than I like, but still plenty tender. Going to try 4 hours at 275 next time. Mmm...next time...

IMG_5023.JPG by cxg231, on Flickr

Chris if you pick up the ribs with tongs half way down.. the meat should just start to cracked away from the bone. Also look for the meat to shrink back from the ribs a bit.
They are some meaty looking ribs and sometimes they take a bit longer.
5 or 6 hours even if you don't wrap.

I think you mean....My Oh My!

Those look delicious.

Thanks guys!

Chris if you pick up the ribs with tongs half way down.. the meat should just start to cracked away from the bone. Also look for the meat to shrink back from the ribs a bit.
They are some meaty looking ribs and sometimes they take a bit longer.
5 or 6 hours even if you don't wrap.

Thanks Jim, advice from a BBQ expert like yourself is much appreciated. When I picked them up in the middle with tongs they did "crack", so I pulled them from the smoker. I would say they were good "competition style" ribs with a bit of "tug" off the bone. I like mine more falling off the bone, personally. I usually do 6 hours at 225F, but I'm never really happy with the flavor or juiciness so I tried the higher temp for less time. I think 4 hours would have gotten me closer to where I wanted to be. As it was, these were the best I've ever made,at least for what I am looking for in ribs. As always, YMMV!

As long as you are happy that's what counts.
I was not saying there was anything wrong at all, simply responding to your tenderness coment. If my post implied otherwise I am very sorry. I did not intend to imply any criticism at all.

Top Bottom